LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3" lift questions!

Old 02-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
DEFsTACO is on a distinguished road
DEFsTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Question 3" lift questions!

For starters I have read many threads on this forum and others regarding 3" lift ideas. I'm new to Truck suspensions and more specifically Toyotas. I understand suspension principles from installing and modifying mustang suspensions and some from Nitro burning R/C stadium trucks. So don't hold back on technical terms. I'm thinking of light duty (no bumper, brush gaurd or winch) OME springs and OME shocks with a Total Chaos upper control arm for the front. Is a differential drop kit necessary to prevent premature wear of ANY suspension components? The rear will receive either an AAL or a new leaf pack. Does the AAL significantly reduce ride quality? Also is a differential carrier bearing drop kit necessary to prevent vibration or premature wear? With the stock TRD suspension I already have bad wheel hop when things get slippery. Will the AALs and carrier bearing drop kit help correct this or make it worse? Finally what are axle shims used to correct.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to Tacoma World!
Looks like you have thought this out very well. The OME and TC combo are GREAT!
I havent felt that the AAL has deteriorated the ride. A diff frop cant hurt, but make sure you get the front diff back PERFECTLY inline with where it was before. If its off a bit, you may get some vibes from the front. Same with the carier bearing drop. It cant hurt. Most people have been useing 3* shims in the rear, but I have found that 2.5* is perfect. AAL's will help with the wheel hop.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW

1. OMEs springs are great and the shocks are even better! When I bought them many years, they suggested getting the medium duty (885) coils because I had a double cab...
2. TC UCAs are great!
3. Some say the Diff Drop isn't necessary and is the source of driveline vibes. I have a prerunner so I don't need one.
4. The leaf pack would be the way to go... good ride quality and good payload characteristics. I would also suggest upgrading the rear shocks to OMEs while you're at it...

Old 02-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
DEFsTACO is on a distinguished road
DEFsTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Question Shock extenders

Are shock extenders a bad idea if factory Bilstein shocks are still in great shape? Do axle shims simply correct for the new angle that the leafs contact the mounts on the rear axle?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
The shims are to change the angle of the axle to help get rid of driveline vibes. I say new shocks because there are so many out there that outperform the stock Billys.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFsTACO View Post
Are shock extenders a bad idea if factory Bilstein shocks are still in great shape? Do axle shims simply correct for the new angle that the leafs contact the mounts on the rear axle?
Yes on the shims. Best thing for the rear, is what Delmarva said. Get new shocks. The stock shocks arent going to handle the new spring rate and lift height.