LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to: Install 3 pack AAL to TSB Springs

Old 02-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Will work for Lockers!
loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Chief Petty Officer
Name: Phil
loco's Tacoma Gallery
How to: Install 3 pack AAL to TSB Springs

Okay so I just finished up installing a set of wheelers 3 leaf aal on my 2013 Sport 4x4 and took many pics to help aid those who want to install the 3 pack but may have questions about them not working right out of the box becuase of the tsb clamps.

1. Jack up the truck and put jack stands under the frame. Remove wheels and disconnect the rear shock bolt.

2. Remove the bolt holding the e brake cable to allow even further droop.

3. Remove the 4 nuts holding your u bolts on and remove the lower mount. Take the old u bolts and nuts and put them to the side.

4. Remove your stock bump stop and retain for future use.

5. Lower the axle with the jack. Install a clamp to the stock pack and use vise grips to hold the bottom of the bolt while removing the nut.

6. Now here is where some of the other threads kind of leave us TSB folks behind. You must remove the rear clamp closest to the axle. I tried to install it just to take these pics so you can see why. It is an easy fix. Use a small angle grinder and cut the two wings off the wrap. Then cut off the rivet holding whats left on the leaf and follow up by grinding down the excess metal so your new spring pack can move easily and quietly. Just take a look at the pics and that should help.

New clamp in the way of stock clamp.

Wings removed and all you need to do is cut the rivet!!!

ground off and then smooth!!!

Unless you like rust paint that exposed steel!

7. Re assemble the pack with the new centering bolt and if you want to use the overload make sure that one is first. Ensure you stack the leafs from largest on top to smallest on the bottom and the long end facing the rear!

I had a little issue where the bolt that came with the wheelers kit was crap and stripped while tightening down. I went over and picked up a new grade 8 zinc coated bolt and found it worked better since I could use two 14mm wrenches to tighten down the leaf pack.

8. Now make sure the centering bolt is nice and tight before you cut off all the excess bolt thread. Leave about 1/8-1/4" above the nut.

9. Using the new u bolts with the kit attach your axle to the spring and then tighten down to 75-80 ftlbs. Don't forget to put your old bump stop back in.

As you can see I took the time to paint as I went to cut down on rust. Takes 15 seconds and makes for a much better looking and lasting install!

10. Reconnect the e brake line bolt and lower shock bolt. Looks sweet ehhhh?

11. Reinstall your wheels and torque the lugs to 85 ftlbs.

Step back and enjoy the truck inspired boner...

All told I gained 2" on the driver side and 1.75" on the passenger side which is nice since I did it with a full tank of gas!!! Perfectly level side to side in the rear! I know I will get some sag and will update in a month or two where it settles.

Cranked up my coilovers in the front to get rid of a little stink bug action and am writing this from the alignment shop.

Hope this helps someone who had been a bit lost with TSB and 3 packs!

Phil
Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Nice yob...don't 4get greasing between the leaves.

Unless u got lucky....mine squeaked.

Enjoy the nice ride and don't 4get to re check u bolt tq after xxx miles

Ps, id also recommend undoing the brake line support deal on the axle for maximum droop/room during the procedure without them being under tension
Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Will work for Lockers!
loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedloco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Chief Petty Officer
Name: Phil
loco's Tacoma Gallery
Ehhhh grease will be applied if they squeak.

I only did the write up on the right side but on the left you should remove the 12mm bolt holding the brake lines to the axle. Just to be safe.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
ThatguyJZ is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
ThatguyJZ's Tacoma Gallery
Just got done with this today and of course I'd stumble on this thread after the fact, haha. Good write up! Thanks!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough
Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
will be doing this in a few days to my 2013. thanks for the write up
Old 03-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
Bender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bender581's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
All told I gained 2" on the driver side and 1.75" on the passenger side which is nice since I did it with a full tank of gas!!! Perfectly level side to side in the rear! I know I will get some sag and will update in a month or two where it settles.

Cranked up my coilovers in the front to get rid of a little stink bug action and am writing this from the alignment shop.

Hope this helps someone who had been a bit lost with TSB and 3 packs!

Phil
Very nice writ up. I think even I could do this using your directions.

Is this the 3pack that Wheelers says will give 1.5inches of lift? Is the overload 0.5 inches thick? In other words if you had taken out the overloads, you would have had 1.5 inches on driver side and 1.25 on the passenger?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender581 View Post
Very nice writ up. I think even I could do this using your directions.

Is this the 3pack that Wheelers says will give 1.5inches of lift? Is the overload 0.5 inches thick? In other words if you had taken out the overloads, you would have had 1.5 inches on driver side and 1.25 on the passenger?
I have my overload in garage still.... I'll measure them later for ya.

The icon is identical to the wheelers, and I gained approx 1.7 on each side without the overloads.