Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Question about lift kit

Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Kevenass is on a distinguished road
Kevenass's Tacoma Gallery
Question about lift kit

Hello,
First i'm new on this forum and i speak french so my english is not perfect. Thanks for your comprehension.

So i just bought a 2008 tacoma trd double cab one month ago and i'm looking to lift it. I would like to go for a 6 inch kit but i want to know if i will have problem with this. Because i want lift my truck but i dont want to break it.

Here's my question:
-do you recommend lift kit of 6 inch?
-wich lift kit do you recommand? ( procomp , fabtech , etc)
-does it will break some parts on my truck ( boot for exemple)
-does the truck drivability and comfort is still good with a 6 inch kit?
-someone have pic of 6inch lift with 31 tire?

To finish, i will install the kit by myself and i dont want to buy a kit too much expensive , so the more economic accordance with quality will be apreciate.

Thanks you very much
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't recommend a 6" lift but Procomp and fabtech make good ones. I also would at least get 33" tires for a 6" as 31" with look way to small
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
- 31" tire will look really dumb on a 6 inch lift. (stock tires are 31")
- most on TW will probably recommend 3 inch suspension lift instead of a DB lift.

But, wait for more knowledgable people on this topic to arrive.

free bump.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You can learn a lot about your truck's suspension and lift options here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html

I would get a good 3" lift kit of a 6" lift kit if it were my truck. The Old Man Emu kit is a nice kit for the money, easier to install than the drop bracket kit and does not require cutting into your truck to install the drop bracket (this is required if you go with a 6" lift). Generally, a 3" suspension lift will ride nicer than a standard 6" drop bracket lift that utilizes spacers for the front and large lift blocks for the rear.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Ok thanks you guy ,
So if i understand , all of you recommand 3 inch lift instead a 6 inch lift?

Wich 3 inch lift is the best ?

Bloc on the front shock and block under leaf is good ? Or add a leaf ? Or what do you think ?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Try to stay away from blocks if you plan on doing offroading
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You can learn a lot in the suspension thread. But Billie 5100s are a good way to lift and are cheap, ome is also a good way that won't cost much either.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevenass View Post
Ok thanks you guy ,
So if i understand , all of you recommand 3 inch lift instead a 6 inch lift?

Wich 3 inch lift is the best ?

Bloc on the front shock and block under leaf is good ? Or add a leaf ? Or what do you think ?
Once again, the Old Man Emu kit is a nice kit for the money...

Spacers and blocks are a very cheap lift and I would not recomment them. Lift coils and either an AAL or replacement leaf pack would be much better.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Ok thank you guy

Why spacer and bloc are not good to lift 3 inch ?

And what are the reason why you dont recommend a 6 inch lift kit ?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
I read about procomp 3 inch coilover kit and many people said that its very hard ride.
I also check for billstein 5100. But they said that billstein only lift of 2.5 and i would like to hAve 3.
And for the OME does anyone know a website or a link where i can buy a complet kit to lift the front and the rear of my truck.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #11
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you want dakars down south motorsports has the best price on a full OME kit, toytec and wheelers are good because they will assemble the shocks and springs for you for more money. For a full 3 inches get 885s with a 1/4" top plate spacer, i dont think DSM sells these. If your getting AAL order the 3 leaf progressive AAL
Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #12

Just realized your in canada so DSM probably wont do free shipping. Ask in here where to order, http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...-pictures.html
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
In Canada , check out OUIPACK for OME gear
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
another vote for OME
Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
A full Toytec kit with 5100s will get you 3" of lift. That or the OME kit are good options for the money. Can't really go wrong with either. Most people don't like 6" lifts because they require a drop bracket and you're not really getting anymore ground clearance up front due to the drop bracket plus you have to do cutting to install so its not simple to go back to stock.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #16

Just go full ome with Dakars, it's a great lift for the money
Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevenass View Post
Ok thank you guy

Why spacer and bloc are not good to lift 3 inch ?

And what are the reason why you dont recommend a 6 inch lift kit ?
Spacers have the potential to do damage to the coilover. They space the coilover down and, in some cases, can allow the shock to bottom out before the LCA hits the bump stop. This forces the shock to take the hit and can cause it to break. Blocks that tall can just make for a crappy ride, they promote axle wrap and can help wear out your leaf pack.

A 6" lift kit is a drop bracket kit and actually ends up giving you less ground clearance than a good 3" kit. The install is much more involved and requires cutting (not easily reversed).