Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear Shock relocation thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Shock relocation thread

I've been searching through a lot of threads of individual builds etc and in doing so I thought it would be a good idea to get all of the different rear shock set ups in one location to save people time in the future of looking through tons of different threads like I have.

I'll be doing a rear shock relocation mod soon and would like to see pics of different setups and how you did yours. If you can share details of the parts you used, shock length, what rear springs/shackles you are using, any issues you encountered etc. It will be helpful for anyone looking at this thread.

TIA. I'll share my own set up as soon as its completed.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread idea Adam.

Subb'd for future reference
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Landon
Supermoto's Tacoma Gallery
great idea!

I built this for my brother's second gen, 2.5" shocks and an Expo Pack

built this for a member's first gen, 2.0" shocks

Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
I've been searching through a lot of threads of individual builds etc and in doing so I thought it would be a good idea to get all of the different rear shock set ups in one location to save people time in the future of looking through tons of different threads like I have.

I'll be doing a rear shock relocation mod soon and would like to see pics of different setups and how you did yours. If you can share details of the parts you used, shock length, what rear springs/shackles you are using, any issues you encountered etc. It will be helpful for anyone looking at this thread.

TIA. I'll share my own set up as soon as its completed.

are you talking under bed setups or though the bed?

not a taco but what i did on my old 4runner to get some more lenght. almost touching the bottom of the bed.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
are you talking under bed setups or though the bed?

not a taco but what i did on my old 4runner to get some more lenght. almost touching the bottom of the bed.

I'm talking about either, but personally I'm keeping them under the bed.

that's a great setup on the 4Runner. Gives me some ideas.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
extrmsob293 is on a distinguished road
extrmsob293's Tacoma Gallery
oh i want to know more
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrmsob293 View Post
oh i want to know more
Shoot off some questions
Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
What's the longest shock you can run without cutting bed...14"?
What rims? What springs? Wheel spacers?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #13

Quote:
17x9's...deaver j66...no spacer....265, possibly 285 tires.
That pack can't really use much more than a 10" shock. You could maybe get 12" out of it but it will be separating
Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #14
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
After talking about it a lot with Landon after he did his brothers truck, i decided i needed to do the same...i went a bit higher up and did 12's
mocking up and measuring

lower mount

Flex achieved

Specs:
Fox 12" 36" by 24" 2.5 with Remote Resi
Allpro Expedition Springs
Daystar Pyramid Bumpstops

Pros: Wheel travel, 2.5's stay way cooler, rear end feels more solid
Con: Had to run 1.25" spacers, to some this isnt a problem but it makes my wide 35's stick out
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my rear by DMZ, without cutting into the bed.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #17
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoto View Post
That pack can't really use much more than a 10" shock. You could maybe get 12" out of it but it will be separating
yeah, i figured i'd have to get a longer pack...maybe sua even.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #18
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedTRD View Post
Here's my rear by DMZ, without cutting into the bed.

So freaking sweet. Def would do this if I ever go LT
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #19
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
I just put a set of expos on my 01 double cab and need to get longer shocks, figured i might as well flip the u bolts and relocate top and bottom mounting. Mounting II i need 23.5 and 13, closest i can find is 24.5ish and 14.6ish losing an inch of compression really isn't a big deal but i would prefer to do it right. I keep reading that people are putting 12" bilstein 7100 short bodies. To me the numbers just don't seem too worth unless they are/\ anyone have any experience/pics?

Any reason to not mount them on the outside of the leafs, wheel well?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #20
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Will, what shock length are you running?
I'm running 2.5x12 triple bypass, it's a really tight fit hahah frame had to be notched.