Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear sway bar for 2nd gen base model?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
yota13 is on a distinguished road
yota13's Tacoma Gallery
Rear sway bar for 2nd gen base model?

I understand the x-runner front springs and shocks are easy to obtain and swap right over.
What about the x-brace? is it a bolt on affair?
and is there an OEM option for a rear sway bar on the base model tacoma?
Does anyone have a picture of a base model with x runner suspension?
Basically I want my truck to handle a lot better than it does right now. Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Reg. Prime Minister of the Dep. Doubious Deeds
urban is on a distinguished road
urban's Tacoma Gallery
I hear that some of the people who have made double cab x runners just swapped the body onto a whole different frame. As for sway bars I think the x runner has them as I read the aftermarket units bolt into the existing holes. People seem to think the rear sway bars help a ton. Aftermarket shocks with or without springs can help a ton as well but I see no reason to lower it. My truck will slide before it rolls very much but I have a dclb sport. I have ridden in a budy of mines lifted f 150 which handled better than stock just because he used good components. Hope this is helpful.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Don't confuse the x-brace with a rear sway bar, they are not the same. The x-brace stiffens the rear section of the frame, a rear sway bar would help counter body roll in corners. Hellwig makes a rear sway bar for the 6-lug Tacoma although I'm not sure if it's a universal fit for 5-luggers also. I believe Famous Fabrications was making something similar to the x-brace for 6-lug Tacomas as well. It bolts to the rear hanger bolt and the cross brace in front of the rear tire.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Reg. Prime Minister of the Dep. Doubious Deeds
urban is on a distinguished road
urban's Tacoma Gallery
Me? I know the difference between the two, my appologies if i didn't write it clearly... I only go to the former General Motors Institute of Technnology....but whateva....
Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post
Me? I know the difference between the two, my appologies if i didn't write it clearly... I only go to the former General Motors Institute of Technnology....but whateva....
He was just trying to clarify. No need to be an ass.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
electrcguy is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
electrcguy's Tacoma Gallery
Plus One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post
He was just trying to clarify. No need to be an ass.
+