Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ALLPRO Expo Leaf pack/ U-Bolt Flip Kit/ Firestone Air Ride air bags!?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
ALLPRO Expo Leaf pack/ U-Bolt Flip Kit/ Firestone Air Ride air bags!?

Right now I have the Firestone Air Ride Kit. Later this week I hope to also have the AllPro Expo Leaf Packs and was considering getting the U-Bolt Flip Kit in addition.

My questions are this-

1. What additionally will I need for the Air Bags to continue to work as designed now that there is an additional 3"-4" of lift?
- New longer/ larger bags?
- Spacers?

2. The flip kit, worth it?
- if I do get it, can I cut the bolts and remount the Firestone plate overtop?
- additional thoughts on these?

Quote:
Cut the ears off that bracket and weld it to the flip plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatTaco View Post
the flaps that hang down off of the airbag mount, cut them off leaving the flat top plate that the airbag mounts to then weld/bolt that plate to the u bolt flip plate is what i think its trying to say
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post
If you really wanted to do load assist bags you could go this route too...

Weld on axle bracket/top

Or build something similar to that other thread. Check out all the random brackets on this site.

thorbros.com

Would also be an excellent site for Onboard air compressors, fittings, tanks, check valves etc...

Real popular site for buying parts to put air ride suspension on lowered trucks.
These are great options, really they are. My issues are that I was hoping for Bolt on solutions. I don't have access to a welder and am not proficient with one right now. Also, if theres any issues, or I want to sell/ remove anything bolt on is optimal.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
If I end up with 3" of extra lift, I think a different set of bags will be what I need. I might have to call Firestone on Monday just to verify.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
I owe it all to little chocolate donuts
JayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JayDirt's Tacoma Gallery
With the expo leaf pack, do you think airbags air even necessary? Expo's are meant for carrying heavier weight.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
I was more looking for the Towing aspect. Once the truck is loaded, and I'm towing a horse trailer, I still wanted to be level.

Really, I have little experience with suspension. SO I might be overdoing it. Then again, I don't have the bump stops anymore either. Instead of reading the forum on the install ahead of time. I did the install per the instructions. Cutting the stops, instead of removing the whole thing like others were doing.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
You won't be able to run the flip kit with the air bags. The brackets for the u-bolt won't fit the air bags.

Honestly, the flip kit isn't a must-have. If you are dragging the bottom of your u-bolts on a rock, your bottom shock mounts are probably being hit as well which is a much bigger problem.

But I think you are right on longer bags. I have read that they're fine for street use but when you're off-road and the axle droops all the way on one side they can stretch the bags too much or the bags end up restricting the axle movement down.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
JayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JayDirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
I was more looking for the Towing aspect. Once the truck is loaded, and I'm towing a horse trailer, I still wanted to be level.

Really, I have little experience with suspension. SO I might be overdoing it. Then again, I don't have the bump stops anymore either. Instead of reading the forum on the install ahead of time. I did the install per the instructions. Cutting the stops, instead of removing the whole thing like others were doing.
I see...I would install the Expos and see what it looks like fully loaded with the trailer. In the meantime contact Firestone to discuss your unique situation. I'm sure they will be able to help as they did for me when I owned a FX4.

On another note, have you purchased the Expos yet? You might be able to customize them with another leaf...just a thought.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spithead051 View Post
You won't be able to run the flip kit with the air bags. The brackets for the u-bolt won't fit the air bags.

Honestly, the flip kit isn't a must-have. If you are dragging the bottom of your u-bolts on a rock, your bottom shock mounts are probably being hit as well which is a much bigger problem.

But I think you are right on longer bags. I have read that they're fine for street use but when you're off-road and the axle droops all the way on one side they can stretch the bags too much or the bags end up restricting the axle movement down.
I guess I will call and see Monday for sure. But I'm almost positive now that with a 3"lift, the bags will be too short.

I it was just a thought to get the flip kit. But I see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDirt View Post
I see...I would install the Expos and see what it looks like fully loaded with the trailer. In the meantime contact Firestone to discuss your unique situation. I'm sure they will be able to help as they did for me when I owned a FX4.

On another note, have you purchased the Expos yet? You might be able to customize them with another leaf...just a thought.
From what I'm reading, the expos are basically the DAKARS with AAL. If you look on AP site, the have 2 versions of leafs for the tacoma's. Standard and Expo. Expos at rest unloaded are 4" :jawdrop: 3" Loaded.

I'm waiting on the AP people to contact me back to make a deal. Unless anyone has a Discount code or know of anyone that is selling them or heavily discounted.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #8

JayDirt's Tacoma Gallery
Deaver can make custom leaf packs to fit your needs as well.

http://www.deaverspring.com/products/leafsgm.html
Old 02-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
seric007's Tacoma Gallery
just get the air bag spacers.. thats why they make them...

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...-Spring-Spacer
Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
File not found.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
File not found.
That's what I got at first when I clicked his link. Then I found it manually, and his link works for me since. Probably something strange with the way the forum or the browser handles the link...

Anyways, here's a link to the same thing at a different vendor. Basically spacers for your airbags. Hope the link works!

http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...A4079A0A0.aspx
Old 02-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
AH! Thanks, yeah, that worked.

Products Discussed in this Thread