Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

TRD or not?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
doperdee is on a distinguished road
Name: Danielsaaan
doperdee's Tacoma Gallery
TRD or not?

I am currently shopping for a new Tacoma, but at square one... I am in anticipation of installing a lift kit for it. Mostly looking for a more aggresive look, also looking to have more clearance for larger tires. For the most part I will be using the truck for practical use, but do want to enhance 4x4 preformance for when need be. I dont wanna compromise the factory ride too much either... any recomendations?
In addition, im unsure of which model to buy... Do I go TRD? If so, which teir? I understand there are 3 stages of the TRD upgrade. Ive also been told with the anticipation of lifting the suspension, some upgrades may be redundant. Basically i dont wanna spend an extra 5 grand on factory upgrades that may or may not be changed out.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
I'm A Grinder
pivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Patrick
pivey14's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Off-Road
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
rtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
rtn1911's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is non-TRD, mostly b/c I did not want to spend the $$$ more "nice to haves" as opposed to "must-haves" --for ME, anyway.

I do have the towing package and convenience packages.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Sr5 or sport, save your money. If you don't plan to offroad you have no use for a locker..
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned off road and sport version, if I could go back to either I would buy the SR5..
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Sr5 or sport, save your money. If you don't plan to offroad you have no use for a locker..
Sport and Offroad are essentially the same price
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
SR5 would probably be your best bet if you're going to be swapping the suspension out anyway. The locked in the OR model is good but if you're going to be wheeling the truck to the point of needing it you'll save some money just going after market for that instead of getting the OR model.

I got the Sport cause I liked the look and never anticipated on lifting and new wheels and tires etc that ive done. If I had it to do over I would probably just get the SR5.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Sport and Offroad are essentially the same price
For me when I was ordering it was a 3k difference, maybe my dealer just sucked, wouldn't shock me
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
FLCO is on a distinguished road
FLCO's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan on swapping most of the suspension anyways, than dont spend the money on it. I owned an 1st gen SR5 for years and now I own an 08 TRD off road, and I have no idea why I never put a rear diff locker in the old one. I don't have any intentions on lifting mine so I went with better stock suspension and the rear diff lock for me is a must have. Chunky tires + stock TRD off road = I can run circles around douchebags with full size V8s. Good luck finding what you want.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
INSTAGRAM: sytfu510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan to off road or think you might, and don't need a 6ft bed. get the TRD Off Road. The E-Locker is a must ( + you get Atrac,and all the other stuff ). Other than that get a SR5 with any specific options you may want. As most people change suspension & wheels anyways. The Sport is just Hood Skewp & LSD.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
MGM Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
MGM Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
^^ New sports don't even have a real LSD its an auto lsd that uses the brakes. the of road has it as well plus the locker