Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

I need an opinion on this lift kit.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Camjowns is on a distinguished road

Name: Cameron
Camjowns's Tacoma Gallery
I need an opinion on this lift kit.

A shop nearby is selling a Tuff Country Lift with Add-A-Leaf to the rear. It's a full 3in lift for $400 installed...

I'm not familiar with this brand and after searching around I can't find a whole lot on it either.

Would this be a pretty good deal and give a good look to my current truck in your opinion? If you have any recommendations to another company I would love to hear them.

Thanks,
Cameron

EDIT: My driving will be ALL highway/city miles. No mudding/offroad unfortunately. :/
Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'm assuming its a spacer lift up front?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
HossNFross Per "Oz"
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camjowns View Post
A shop nearby is selling a Tuff Country Lift with Add-A-Leaf to the rear. It's a full 3in lift for $400 installed...

I'm not familiar with this brand and after searching around I can't find a whole lot on it either.

Would this be a pretty good deal and give a good look to my current truck in your opinion? If you have any recommendations to another company I would love to hear them.

Thanks,
Cameron
Depends on what you are looking for. This is a spacer lift. It will ride like crap and won't do you any good off-road. Some people love them, but the majority of people on this site will steer you away from it.

There are PLENTY of other good lift options on here. Billies all around with the same AAL, IronMan4x4, OME, ICON and so on.

Do you have a price limit? Are you set on 3" of lift?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #4

I'd like to stay under $500 honestly. 3" lift is definitely what I am going for.

Here's the link so it doesn't really tell me a whole lot.
http://loz.craigslist.org/pts/3537954567.html
Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I'd like to stay under $500 honestly. 3" lift is definitely what I am going for.

Here's the link so it doesn't really tell me a whole lot.
http://loz.craigslist.org/pts/3537954567.html
Thats not a bad price installed but most people try and stay away from spacer lifts cause it will eventually cause issues later down the road and give you a harsh ride. Have you thought about saving up some more and going with a full suspension lift?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
HossNFross Per "Oz"
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
I wouldn't buy a lift off of CL. If you want it, buy it from the site itself. All he did was take pictures directly from the tuffcountry website.

http://www.tuffcountry.com/suspensio...lift-kits.html
Here is the same kit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tf...a/model/tacoma
Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Thats not a bad price installed but most people try and stay away from spacer lifts cause it will eventually cause issues later down the road and give you a harsh ride. Have you thought about saving up some more and going with a full suspension lift?
Yeah I don't mind saving up a little extra at all if it's going to be a better kit as far as not having issues down the road.

My buddy up north of me also quoted me about $500 on a "Rough Country" Lift kit, spacers in the front and leafs in the back I believe.

What are some main issues I will need to worry about down the road as far as joints/boots/bearings?

This is a PRERUNNER by the way...
Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
HossNFross Per "Oz"

Air Force:
The front shocks with blocks can end up looking like this...

And the rear leaf pack with a block can end up with cracks where the block sits.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
The front shocks with blocks can end up looking like this...

And the rear leaf pack with a block can end up with cracks where the block sits.
Is that from rough offroading or just standard everyday driving?
This truck will be used solely for to-and-from work and trips with the motocross bikes in back to different tracks. I'm a pretty conservative driver.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
HossNFross Per "Oz"

Air Force:
Quote:
Is that from rough offroading or just standard everyday driving?
This truck will be used solely for to-and-from work and trips with the motocross bikes in back to different tracks. I'm a pretty conservative driver.
Can happen any time you get full flex/stuff over speed bumps. Putting spacers on top of your shocks makes it so it bottoms out way too soon. If you are wanting some sort of lift, look into eibachs/885's with billies in the front and find a good leaf pack or progressive AAL from wheelers.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Can happen any time you get full flex/stuff over speed bumps. Putting spacers on top of your shocks makes it so it bottoms out way too soon. If you are wanting some sort of lift, look into eibachs/885's with billies in the front and find a good leaf pack or progressive AAL from wheelers.
Okay I will definitely look into that, I appreciate the help!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Yeah I don't mind saving up a little extra at all if it's going to be a better kit as far as not having issues down the road.

My buddy up north of me also quoted me about $500 on a "Rough Country" Lift kit, spacers in the front and leafs in the back I believe.

What are some main issues I will need to worry about down the road as far as joints/boots/bearings?

This is a PRERUNNER by the way...
I understand you dont want to spend a fortune on a lift kit but a suspension lift will def be better longevity wise and ride quality wise. Check out toyteclifts.com on some different lifts you might want to look at.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #13

Quote:
I understand you dont want to spend a fortune on a lift kit but a suspension lift will def be better longevity wise and ride quality wise. Check out toyteclifts.com on some different lifts you might want to look at.
I plan on driving this truck for a long time so if I could stay under a grand and save problems later on I would go that route in a heartbeat.

Would this be my best bet?
http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=72

I've never done a lift kit before and this is the first truck I've gotten a chance to do some customizing on.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
HossNFross Per "Oz"

Air Force:
I would personally go with this. New shocks to go with your new coils. They say our shocks shouldn't be used with taller coils. Always better to change to a shock which can deal with the extra height.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
I plan on driving this truck for a long time so if I could stay under a grand and save problems later on I would go that route in a heartbeat.

Would this be my best bet?

I've never done a lift kit before and this is the first truck I've gotten a chance to do some customizing on.
This is the exact lift I started out with but I added 5100's all around but a couple years ago I won some ICON rear reservoir shocks so thats what changed.
Quote:
I would personally go with this. New shocks to go with your new coils. They say our shocks shouldn't be used with taller coils. Always better to change to a shock which can deal with the extra height.

This is a good kit and we installed this on m buddies truck a few months ago and he loves it.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #16

Quote:
This is the exact lift I started out with but I added 5100's all around but a couple years ago I won some ICON rear reservoir shocks so thats what changed.

This is a good kit and we installed this on m buddies truck a few months ago and he loves it.
That's awesome thank you guys a bunch!

WW_Firefighter I noticed your avatar... If you need any MX accessories let me know, I work in the parts department at a Kawasaki/KTM/Polaris shop. I'll hook ya up best I can
Old 02-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
HossNFross Per "Oz"

Air Force:
No problem man. Don't want anyone going with something WAY too cheap.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #18
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
That's awesome thank you guys a bunch!

WW_Firefighter I noticed your avatar... If you need any MX accessories let me know, I work in the parts department at a Kawasaki/KTM/Polaris shop. I'll hook ya up best I can
Nice but I RIDE RED...would that be an issue, haha?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
mirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
mirraman's Tacoma Gallery
With a Prerunner, the best lift you can do up front is a spindle lift. Comes with a price tag, though. You can keep all your stock hardware, even your rims if you get some Spidertrax wheel spacers. You keep your factory ride up front and just need a TSB AAL with TSB leaf pack in the back and a 1" block. I am running Maxtrac lift spindles now and absolutely love them!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #20
calltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant future
calltrex's Tacoma Gallery
I have the iron man 3" lift

Rides nice