Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

CB drop, diff drop and axle shim questions

Old 02-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Fox2011PM is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Fox2011PM's Tacoma Gallery
CB drop, diff drop and axle shim questions

I received my lift a couple of days ago and need some opinions. I have a 2013 DCSB TRD OR 4x4. I got the 5100s x4, with Eibach's set at .85, and a Toytec 2" AAL. I know that several people are getting different results from installing these. I want to obviously have zero vibes if possible. I also don't want to waste time installing any of these options if they are not needed. The kit came with the shims, the CB drop and diff drop. Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
coseng is on a distinguished road
coseng's Tacoma Gallery
I am pursuing the same outcome. No vibes.

I have a full OME kit, 885x on the front with driver side trim packer and no top plate spacers. LR UCAS, Dakar pack on the back.

Before I put the lift on I installed the ECGS bushing in the front diff and ran it for a week at stock height to ensure I had a good installation.

The next weekend I installed the rest of the components.

I did put on a front diff drop although most would recommend against it.

In the rear I utilized steel three degree shims under the Dakars and 3/8" spacers at the center carrier bearing.

This set up resulted in almost no perceivable vibes, but I am very picky. I think I can still feel something between 25 and 30 mph. It is VERY slight and I tried to just get over it, but I haven't. So.....I ordered. 1 1/2" carrier bearing drop from beefed taco. I am hoping this will make the truck vibe free.

Either way I am enjoying the manners of the lifted truck very much.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
MJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to all

Army:
MJM777's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by coseng View Post
I am pursuing the same outcome. No vibes.

I have a full OME kit, 885x on the front with driver side trim packer and no top plate spacers. LR UCAS, Dakar pack on the back.

Before I put the lift on I installed the ECGS bushing in the front diff and ran it for a week at stock height to ensure I had a good installation.

The next weekend I installed the rest of the components.

I did put on a front diff drop although most would recommend against it.

In the rear I utilized steel three degree shims under the Dakars and 3/8" spacers at the center carrier bearing.

This set up resulted in almost no perceivable vibes, but I am very picky. I think I can still feel something between 25 and 30 mph. It is VERY slight and I tried to just get over it, but I haven't. So.....I ordered. 1 1/2" carrier bearing drop from beefed taco. I am hoping this will make the truck vibe free.

Either way I am enjoying the manners of the lifted truck very much.
Have you given it a try without the shims or spacers? If not it might be worth a try before installing the carrier bearing drop. Many people with the same lift get no vibes if they do not install those options.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Boost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to all

Name: Billy
Boost JuNkY's Tacoma Gallery
The CB spacer and diff drop didnt do anything for me so I took em off. The 3* axle shims, I highly recommend. They fixed my vibration issue. This is with 3.5" rear lift
Been lucky so far that my front diff bearing is still holding up.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
coseng is on a distinguished road
coseng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
Have you given it a try without the shims or spacers? If not it might be worth a try before installing the carrier bearing drop. Many people with the same lift get no vibes if they do not install those options.
I didnt try the lift without any corrective components unfortunately. I don't have a baseline to compare to other than how the truck drove pre-lift.

I'm sure most would classify my truck as 'vibration free' as it is. I unfortunately am very particular and cant leave well enough alone. It won't hurt to try the stock placement of the carrier bearing drop. Thanks.

In my opinion from all the reading I've done here, a new bushing and axle shims shold be considered If your planning on lifting your truck. These consistently seem to produce the most positive results for members. I don't think the brand of kit chosen matters much, only the amount of lift achieved. Lastly, individual tolerance will effect everyones perception of the outcome. Like I stated, my issues are very very slight and may be considered non existent by someone else.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
^^^ Cool. Good luck with it all. There's a ton of threads about vibrations - so much information to wade through. I thought I had a very slight vibe originally but then wasn't sure if it was the lift or the result of switching to new A/T tires. Now I don't notice a thing and not sure if there was something to begin with.