Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3"-4" lift "front & back" under $1000 ???

Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
JDaddy is on a distinguished road
JDaddy's Tacoma Gallery
3"-4" lift "front & back" under $1000 ???

Looking at trading my Chevy in for a Tacoma 4x4 crew cab....Probably a 2010 to 2012 model. I'm 99.9% sure I'll be trading for a bone stock truck "since I can't find a lifted one in my area at a dealer" so I'm starting to look at lifts & wheel/tires for one.
I'd like to end up in the 3" to 4" lift range....I know there are a ton of options out there from cheap, cobbled together crap that rides rough and is hard on parts, to super expensive long travel setups made for Baja...I'm somewhere in the middle, I'm wanting to stay under $1000 for the complete kit "front & rear" and would like to keep a decent ride quality...Honestly I don't see me doing any hardcore wheeling, it'll be a daily driver, mall crawler, kid hauler, drive it hunting & fishing, every day kind of truck. It'll get miles put on it, I'm sure it'll be taking trips out west to WY, CO and UT every year on elk & mule deer hunts so I want something reliable.
I know someone will say "Search button, use it!!!" and I have, but there is SO much stuff to read I'm left more confused than when I started...I'm just looking for one stop shopping and a kit I can install in my garage with pretty basic hand tools....Also, last part, once I figure this lift kit out for this truck what size wheel/tire combo should I be looking at??? I'm thinking probably 17" size wheels, I want a decent size wheels but I'm not looking for 20"s .... If I run a 3" to 4" lift what size can I stuff under it on a 17" and not rub the hell out of everything????
Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
phatso is on a distinguished road
phatso's Tacoma Gallery
I am not an expert at all, but I was/am in the same boat as you and I ended up going with an OME kit from here...

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...=113&Itemid=72

at the very least it's a good place to start looking.

some people run 285's but I've heard they will rub without additional mods(spacers/control arms/aftermarket wheels etc.)...I'm going with 265/75/16 and maybe when those wear out I'll move up in size...I'd post pics but I'm still waiting for the delivery of my kit

I hope that was helpful.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Old man Emu front to back is about 1000, not installed of course, you could also go with bilstein 5100s up front and an AAL in the rear, the ride was fine for me but I had my billies set with OME 885 coils. Best of luck.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
JDaddy's Tacoma Gallery
With the 5100's and an AAL in the back how much can you get though??? If its just an 1.5"-2" lift I'd rather spend the money to get a solid 3"-4" kit...I plan to buy aftermarket wheels and tires as soon as I do the lift as well.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
TahoeChris's Tacoma Gallery
OME with a top plate will give you 3" and if you do a 2" aal you will be sitting pretty close to level. That being said you will need to change the UCA if you go any higher than 2-2.5". I recently installed the OME kit without the top plate spacers and a 1.5" aal, and got a little more than 2.5" of lift. After getting tires put on I had them do an alignment. I told them I wanted 0*camber, 2.4-2.8* caster, and 0* toe. They were able to get the toe and camber close but the caster was way off. I only had .05* caster. The truck felt really squirrelly. I called them and they said there was nothing they could do. The following week I had my 10,000 mile service and told the tech about my alignment numbers. He said he was familiar with alignments on lifted trucks and he could get me at least some caster. Which he did! At the cost of .9* positive camber. \-/. With the stock UCA there isn't a separate adjustment for caster/camber. It's set. Your alignment of caster/camber is adjusted by the eccentric cams on the LCA. You can't adjust one without effecting the other. I've driven about 500 miles like this and it is a lot more stable but I'm not happy with my camber numbers. I purchased a set of Light Racing UCA and they have caster/camber adjustments. Those will go on this weekend. As far as tires. If you want to run 285's you will need a rim with a 4.5" backspacing to keep the tire from rubbing the UCA. Sorry for such a long winded response. I hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDaddy View Post
With the 5100's and an AAL in the back how much can you get though??? If its just an 1.5"-2" lift I'd rather spend the money to get a solid 3"-4" kit...I plan to buy aftermarket wheels and tires as soon as I do the lift as well.
If you get one of the complete kits from Toytec with 5100s you can get 3"
Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Old man emu 885s with top plate spacer, OME shocks all around, dakar leaf pack, light racing UCAs, you will be somewhere around $1600. Solid set up
Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
JDaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeChris View Post
OME with a top plate will give you 3" and if you do a 2" aal you will be sitting pretty close to level. That being said you will need to change the UCA if you go any higher than 2-2.5". I recently installed the OME kit without the top plate spacers and a 1.5" aal, and got a little more than 2.5" of lift. After getting tires put on I had them do an alignment. I told them I wanted 0*camber, 2.4-2.8* caster, and 0* toe. They were able to get the toe and camber close but the caster was way off. I only had .05* caster. The truck felt really squirrelly. I called them and they said there was nothing they could do. The following week I had my 10,000 mile service and told the tech about my alignment numbers. He said he was familiar with alignments on lifted trucks and he could get me at least some caster. Which he did! At the cost of .9* positive camber. \-/. With the stock UCA there isn't a separate adjustment for caster/camber. It's set. Your alignment of caster/camber is adjusted by the eccentric cams on the LCA. You can't adjust one without effecting the other. I've driven about 500 miles like this and it is a lot more stable but I'm not happy with my camber numbers. I purchased a set of Light Racing UCA and they have caster/camber adjustments. Those will go on this weekend. As far as tires. If you want to run 285's you will need a rim with a 4.5" backspacing to keep the tire from rubbing the UCA. Sorry for such a long winded response. I hope this helps.
How much do those Light Racing UCA's cost on average???
Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
JDaddy's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
What about that kit since I won't be doing any hardcore wheeling???Nothing more than gravel roads, a little mud & snow.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
TahoeChris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDaddy View Post
How much do those Light Racing UCA's cost on average???
$375 shipped from headstrongoffroad.com. That kit would work but you would be re using the stock shock and would need a spring compressor to put the shocks and coils together.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
JDaddy's Tacoma Gallery
I'm now thinking 5100's, spacer plates, AAL and then maybe the new UCAs if I really need them...If I can get an even 3" front and back I'd be happy.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Khmer Member
tacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
tacowestley's Tacoma Gallery
You could put maxtrac spindles for the front if nobody mentioned yet
Old 02-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacowestley View Post
You could put maxtrac spindles for the front if nobody mentioned yet
OP is talking about getting a 4x4
Old 02-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
JDaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah 4x4 only for me, a prerunner would only get me hung up around here with all the snow we get...
Old 02-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
ms4x4outlaws is on a distinguished road

Name: Darren
ms4x4outlaws's Tacoma Gallery
Sub
Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
REDdawn6 is on a distinguished road

REDdawn6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeChris View Post
Are these numbers I can give to an alignment shop for my alignment as well?