1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traction Bars for 2012 Prerunner

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BLK2012, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    someone beat me too it lol

2. Mar 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM
    thekernel114

thekernel114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chilliwack, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma 4x4
    allpro long travel, shackle flip with ome dakars, cruisin offroad bumpers and sliders, 4.88 gears with arb's front and rear, budbuilt skids.
    Running a anti wrap bar off the diff studs is a bad idea, it will cause you problems in the long run. I have seen them rip studs right out of the housing and damage thirds in the process. Just get ruffstuffs weld on kit and bring it to a good 4x4 fab shop and save yourself the hassle.

3. Mar 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    BLK2012

BLK2012 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    AZ
  4. Mar 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    thekernel114

thekernel114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chilliwack, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma 4x4
    allpro long travel, shackle flip with ome dakars, cruisin offroad bumpers and sliders, 4.88 gears with arb's front and rear, budbuilt skids.
    Looks like a shitty band aid for weak leaf spring. Just get a traction bar and you won't ruin your ride

5. Feb 16, 2014 at 5:19 AM
    lilcoues

lilcoues Member

Member:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    4" lift, 33" tires
    I'd like to respond and agree with the member that posted the statement saying that he was not impressed with Pro-Comp's "quality".
    I have a set of these traction bars on my 2002 Tacoma and to put it simply, they're junk. They're just for looks and not practial.
    I've had the welds at the axle break & crack on me twice on the smaller tubing. The second time they cracked, was just beyond the repair weld.
    Also, where the front of the rear leaf spring attaches to the frame, that leaf spring mount will hit the top tube and dent it. These are poorly designed and fabricated.
    I've tried to remove them to have them beefed up, but the bolt that holds the neoprene bushings is so tight in the sleeve that goes through the bushings, that it takes a sledge hammer to get them out once installed. Good luck getting the back ones at the axle out.
    Needless to say it's going to take alot of work and money to remove these bars and replace with something that works.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  6. Feb 16, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    GroupW

GroupW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Red TX
    3 inch lift with Toytec Boss and All Pro UCA's up front. AP expedition leafs with Bilstien 5100 shocks in the back. 255/85/16 Cooper S/T Max tires. All Pro skids, rear bumper and sliders, Hidden winch mount with XRC 8000 winch. Dual Optima batteries with IBS combiner/isolator and solar. CMC. Auto sliding rear window mod, hidden CB, CVJ axles and plenty of other little mods.
    The ATO/Ruffstuff definitely looks good, but does it work?? Can anyone vouch for function?

I'd love to get rid of the wrap in my DCSB

7. Apr 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    lilcoues

lilcoues Member

Member:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    4" lift, 33" tires
    Yesterday I saw the right rear Pro Comp Traction Bar under my Tacoma hanging low under the truck. As I looked closer, I could see that the Bilstein 5125 Shock was holding up the bar, keeping it from hitting the ground. The part of the bar that goes under the leaf spring had broken.
    As the photos show, the bracket had broken/cracked into three pieces. The photos will also show that the heads of the bolts had to be cut off. The sleeves that hold the bushings are so tight around the bolt, that they have to be either beaten or pressed out.
    The photos will also show the cracks that are referenced in my 2/16/2014 posting.
    If you drive your Tacoma on paved roads, these bars my be perfectly suitable for you. But if you drive off the pavement I would consider another product.

DSC00176.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00179.jpg
    DSC00180.jpg

8. Nov 6, 2018 at 2:14 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Reviving this for more pictures.

Has anyone come up with a way to weld the bar to the rear axle housing that works well and let's you keep the stock exhaust?

Products Discussed in

To Top