Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

2" Lift keeping stock ride

Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
2010 double cab TRD Sport
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
2" Lift keeping stock ride

I have been reading and searching and I can't find the "perfect" set up that I want. My truck is a 10' TRD sport 2wd long bed, I don't do any off road whatsoever, I drive 40% freeway/60% city streets and I carry 400 pounds most of the time.
This is what I would love:
I would like to lift my truck about 2 inches, keep the stock ride quality and keep my oem 17 tires, put some 1.25 spacers on the wheels and call it a day.

FRONT: I know that spindles don't change the ride, so I got that for the front.
BACK: As for the back, blocks should not change the ride quality but the travel of the shock absorber will be shorten. How about if I make some kind of extension (same size as the block) for the shocks? in my mind this will be great, but again, I DON'T know anything about suspensions.

Any educated input will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing ?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #3

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
I can't believe this is not possible.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you're set with the front with spindles. For the rear, using blocks does not do anything to alter the spring rate but it will affect the ride. The blocks promote axle wrap and can wear out your leaf pack quicker. I'm not sure about you, but my truck rode like shit when it was stock and had 400 lbs in the bed. I was pretty much on the bump stops at every little bump.

I'd go with one of the multi-leaf AALs if I were you. They do ride a little bit stiffer than stock but with 400 lbs in the bed, it will still ride very nicely and will give you the 2" of lift you're looking for (leaf the over load leaf in place for the extra 1/2"). I've got the Icon version and, with my shell and tools in the bed, it rides nice, very controlled. Wheelers makes 2 versions of the multi-leaf AAL, a regular and an HD version. The regular is supposed to be comparable to the Icon, the HD version is for heavier towing and hauling and I would imagine that would be noticably stiffer than stock.

As for shock travel, you're better off getting shocks that are the correct length rather than messing with shock spacers. You remove the shock and flex the truck, get measurements at full stuff and full droop, then find the shock that gives you the most travel range and adjust your bump stops accordingly, not the shock.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #5

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks