Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

LOOKING INTO GETTING KING SHOCKS??

Old 02-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
Pugga: Would the ride quality be the same with longer springs (just less preload on the longer springs)? I'm wanting 3" of lift out of Icons but I'm afraid it's going to be shitty if I crank them that high without longer springs!?
It would be similar to short springs at a shorter lift height. It'd be like OME 884's vs. 885's.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Pugga!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #23
TOYOTA.. Because barbie drives a jeep..
07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
07COMA801's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
By "Cranking" up a set of coilovers, compressing the springs is exactly what you're doing... You're gaining lift by preloading the coils so yes, it will make the ride stiffer. You can avoid this by buying taller springs.

Rear shocks do not provide lift, they just dampen the ride.

I gotta ask... King is great and all, but their remote reserior shocks and coilovers are pretty high end and built specifically to perform in high cycle rate applications. Do you have a need for that level of performance, if not you could save yourself some serious money. Do you need the performance of a remote resi shock or would a non-resi King, Icon or Fox shock do everything you'll need? If you have the money to blow, I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but at that price range you should know what you're buying.

Lastly, if you're going to dump all this money into your suspension, I'd consider extended travel coilovers.
LT kits arent the same as Extended travel are they?
If so i was reading there is a lot of tuning and shit you have too do more than an average off roading vehicle to keep them running good and not be obnoxiosly loud & squeeky.?
im not looking too waste a bunch of money just want high quality products going under my truck and not regrett anything in the proccess
Old 02-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
No LT is not the same as extended travel coilovers, most people refer to extended travel coilovers paired with an aftermarket UCA that allows for more articulation as mid travel
Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #25
STRIKER TRD
akaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
akaryanreynolds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
By "Cranking" up a set of coilovers, compressing the springs is exactly what you're doing... You're gaining lift by preloading the coils so yes, it will make the ride stiffer. You can avoid this by buying taller springs.

Rear shocks do not provide lift, they just dampen the ride.

I gotta ask... King is great and all, but their remote reserior shocks and coilovers are pretty high end and built specifically to perform in high cycle rate applications. Do you have a need for that level of performance, if not you could save yourself some serious money. Do you need the performance of a remote resi shock or would a non-resi King, Icon or Fox shock do everything you'll need? If you have the money to blow, I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but at that price range you should know what you're buying.

Lastly, if you're going to dump all this money into your suspension, I'd consider extended travel coilovers.
X2

You really have to ask yourself how much offroading are you going to do. I have a similar set up that you are looking at getting Kris, I do a fair amount of dirt driving on the weekend, and I still haven't found the need for adjustable compression shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07COMA801 View Post
LT kits arent the same as Extended travel are they?
If so i was reading there is a lot of tuning and shit you have too do more than an average off roading vehicle to keep them running good and not be obnoxiosly loud & squeeky.?
im not looking too waste a bunch of money just want high quality products going under my truck and not regrett anything in the proccess
TC UCA's are know to be really squeaky I know mine get that way if I dont keep them well greased.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'd call DSM and talk to them about what you drive, how you drive and most importantly your price range. We all want high quality stuff on our rigs but its silly to waste 3k+ (which is what you will be spending) if your not going to use them. If you want a true 3" lift to fit 285s look at the OME kit with 885 springs, 10mm spacer and full Dakar rear leafs. Over half the price and a solid kit
Old 02-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I'd call DSM and talk to them about what you drive, how you drive and most importantly your price range. We all want high quality stuff on our rigs but its silly to waste 3k+ (which is what you will be spending) if your not going to use them. If you want a true 3" lift to fit 285s look at the OME kit with 885 springs, 10mm spacer and full Dakar rear leafs. Over half the price and a solid kit
This. Good advice
Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #28
07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks very much for all the help i will for sure look into the OME set ups.
Also sorry DSM? someone help me with that one hah.

And i plan on alot of moab driving, "rock crawling in a sence" alot of canyon and mountain off road trails, and ofcourse Utah has alot of SNOW lol soo alot of snow driving.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #29

DSM = down south motorsports. Those guys are awesome sonny is the man. Snow wheeling? Get duratracs
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #30
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks very much for all the help i will for sure look into the OME set ups.
Also sorry DSM? someone help me with that one hah.

And i plan on alot of moab driving, "rock crawling in a sence" alot of canyon and mountain off road trails, and ofcourse Utah has alot of SNOW lol soo alot of snow driving.
Sounds like the OME with light racing Upper control arms with the Dakar rear springs is perfect for you
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #31

Quote:
But also with all that its saying you have to drop your front diffs too keep 4X4?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #32

Quote:
But also with all that its saying you have to drop your front diffs too keep 4X4?
Nope no diff drop
Old 02-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #34
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, this thing blew up in the last hour!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #35

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
where you select all of your stuff it says front diff drop you can select 4X4 or you can select no diff drop 2X2
You don't need a diff drop. For the 2nd Gen Tacomas, it's not really a diff drop, it just rotates the differential so besides the fact that it will not help your CV angles, it also rotates the differential so the rear of it is even more so out of the oil. Do what you want but I wouldn't put on the diff drop unless you're fighting vibrations that you can't pinpoint otherwise.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #36

^this, maybe i should have elaborated
Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #37

Quote:
You don't need a diff drop. For the 2nd Gen Tacomas, it's not really a diff drop, it just rotates the differential so besides the fact that it will not help your CV angles, it also rotates the differential so the rear of it is even more so out of the oil. Do what you want but I wouldn't put on the diff drop unless you're fighting vibrations that you can't pinpoint otherwise.
So when it says front diff drop for 4X4 or you can select no diff drop for 2X2, they dont drop them just rotate the diffs? like you stated?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #38

No just dont do the diff drop or anything with the front differential.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
No just dont do the diff drop or anything with the front differential.
So if i were to select the one that says No front diff drop(2wd). and installed the rest of this kit id still be 4X4?

lol sorry about all the questions
Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #40

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So when it says front diff drop for 4X4 or you can select no diff drop for 2X2, they dont drop them just rotate the diffs? like you stated?
Correct, they just rotate the diff and provide for some low hanging bits to get hung up on trails.