Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

LOOKING INTO GETTING KING SHOCKS??

Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #41
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07COMA801 View Post
So if i were to select the one that says No front diff drop(2wd). and installed the rest of this kit id still be 4X4?

lol sorry about all the questions
Correct. The diff drop is unnecessary for 2nd tacomas. You are more likely to develop vibrations coming from the front differntial if you install it. The purpuce of the diff drop is to lessen the angles of you front axles. To much angle can cause the CV boots to prematurely wear, try searching CV boot slide mod which will help with this issue if your fins are touching eachother on the CV boots after the lift
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #42
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But also with all that its saying you have to drop your front diffs too keep 4X4?
I would order an OME carrier bearing drop if it is not included in a kit (if you go OME)
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #43
TOYOTA.. Because barbie drives a jeep..
07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
07COMA801's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Sounds like the OME with light racing Upper control arms with the Dakar rear springs is perfect for you
So in the end I could do some non-resi Kings or the original kings I posted about in front and get some dakar rear spring with a light racing UCA and be set??

Do I have to get a after market UCA?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #44
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
i took my kings from absolutely no preload on the coils to cranked up to 3-3.5" of lift with 700lb springs and it absolutely made the ride stiffer!!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #45
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Get a uniball UCA like (total chaos, camburg) with the Kings if you decide on those. The uniball UCA allows for more travel.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #46
07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
Get a uniball UCA like (total chaos, camburg) with the Kings if you decide on those. The uniball UCA allows for more travel.
So would that be considerd a mid travel set up.
And also and when you say more travel that means?

So I HAVE to have a after market UCA?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #47
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So in the end I could do some non-resi Kings or the original kings I posted about in front and get some dakar rear spring with a light racing UCA and be set??

Do I have to get a after market UCA?
Kings only come in remote reseviors for the 2nd gen tacomas. Otherwise. Yes you would be fine
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #48

Quote:
Kings only come in remote reseviors for the 2nd gen tacomas. Otherwise. Yes you would be fine
Sorry I feel like I'm repeating my self a lot just trying to get better understaning thanks a lot guy.. lol so kings,icons, or fox spring or ..a ome lift in front and some dakar rear springs and if I wanted but (don't HAVE too have) a after market UCA would be a preatty great set up for what and where I plan on driving?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #49
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Lol more suspension travel. Mainly more droop or downtravel. You dont absolutely need UCAs but it is recomended. Lifting the front end screws with the alignment and you will end up with low caster, which could make the truck feel like it wonders on the highway
Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
Light racing ball joint UCAs also allow for 20% more articulation over stock according to their stats on their website.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #51

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry I feel like I'm repeating my self a lot just trying to get better understaning thanks a lot guy.. lol so kings,icons, or fox spring or ..a ome lift in front and some dakar rear springs and if I wanted but (don't HAVE too have) a after market UCA would be a preatty great set up for what and where I plan on driving?
Don't be sorry. We've all been there. And just for your knowledge, the OME kit will be a full front and rear suspension.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Correct. The diff drop is unnecessary for 2nd tacomas. You are more likely to develop vibrations coming from the front differntial if you install it. The purpuce of the diff drop is to lessen the angles of you front axles. To much angle can cause the CV boots to prematurely wear, try searching CV boot slide mod which will help with this issue if your fins are touching eachother on the CV boots after the lift
Ok sweet i will look more into the CV boot slide mod, Thanks

Quote:
Lol more suspension travel. Mainly more droop or downtravel. You dont absolutely need UCAs but it is recomended. Lifting the front end screws with the alignment and you will end up with low caster, which could make the truck feel like it wonders on the highway
I see i see so your going to have better alignment and in a sence better controll over your vehicle with an after market UCA?

Quote:
Don't be sorry. We've all been there. And just for your knowledge, the OME kit will be a full front and rear suspension.
so going with a full OME suspention kit alone will be a fine set up? or are you meaning includeing the light racing UCA as well will be fine?

Again thanks for all the knowledge and help fellas!!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #53
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I see i see so your going to have better alignment and in a sence better controll over your vehicle with an after market UCA?

so going with a full OME suspention kit alone will be a fine set up? or are you meaning includeing the light racing UCA as well will be fine?

FWIW (for what it's worth), I'm running OME front to back, total chaos UCAs and can't be happier with the way it rides. I am replacing them today with 700lb Kings up front and resi'd rears. I have run the OME setup since August and it has handled the abuse quite well. I also ran 885s (OME coils) with 5100s (Bilstein shocks) up front for a while and it was a great ride. Also with total chaos UCAs, I know a guy who runs OME front to back (886s.. very stiff coil) with stock UCAs and his alignment is in spec. It's kind of a hit or miss with our tacos, but when in doubt why not fork over an extra $600 for your expensive taco?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #54

Quote:

Yep sounds like you got it, aftermatket UCAs will make it much easier to get the alignment in spec. I run a full OME setup with light racing UCAs and it rides great. The only issue is not as much downtravel, which would probably make the ride smother offroad. Extended travel coilevers with uniballs will be a better setup but in my opinion it isnt worth it unless you offroad alot or do high speed offroading, the price difference between OME with LR UCAs vs. extended travel with uniballs is alot.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
FWIW (for what it's worth), I'm running OME front to back, total chaos UCAs and can't be happier with the way it rides. I am replacing them today with 700lb Kings up front and resi'd rears. I have run the OME setup since August and it has handled the abuse quite well. I also ran 885s (OME coils) with 5100s (Bilstein shocks) up front for a while and it was a great ride. Also with total chaos UCAs, I know a guy who runs OME front to back (886s.. very stiff coil) with stock UCAs and his alignment is in spec. It's kind of a hit or miss with our tacos, but when in doubt why not fork over an extra $600 for your expensive taco?
So my plan to go with the kings front too back and some dakar rear springs an after market UCA I should be preaty satisfyed?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #56

Quote:
Yep sounds like you got it, aftermatket UCAs will make it much easier to get the alignment in spec. I run a full OME setup with light racing UCAs and it rides great. The only issue is not as much downtravel, which would probably make the ride smother offroad. Extended travel coilevers with uniballs will be a better setup but in my opinion it isnt worth it unless you offroad alot or do high speed offroading, the price difference between OME with LR UCAs vs. extended travel with uniballs is alot.
With this last part being said tho^^. So is the uniball taking the place of the UCA in a sence?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #57
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Read this for the answers to all of your questions and more!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...bs-thread.html
Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #58
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Your stock shocks have a set travel range (the difference between the collapsed and extended length of the shock). A stock replacement shock will have the same travel range so they are considered stock travel setups even though you can have that and a lifted application. The problem with stock travel setups is when you lift them, you gain uptravel but have very little downtravel with a 3" lift. With an extended travel setup, you get some of your downtravel back while still having all your uptravel. Extended travel setups require an aftermarket UCA.

Quote:
With this last part being said tho^^. So is the uniball taking the place of the UCA in a sence?
A uniball is just describing the joint where the UCA meets the spindle. You'll either end up with a ball joint (which is what you have stock) or a uniball setup. The Light Racing UCA, even though it is a ball joint UCA, will work with an extended travel coilover.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Your stock shocks have a set travel range (the difference between the collapsed and extended length of the shock). A stock replacement shock will have the same travel range so they are considered stock travel setups even though you can have that and a lifted application. The problem with stock travel setups is when you lift them, you gain uptravel but have very little downtravel with a 3" lift. With an extended travel setup, you get some of your downtravel back while still having all your uptravel. Extended travel setups require an aftermarket UCA.

A uniball is just describing the joint where the UCA meets the spindle. You'll either end up with a ball joint (which is what you have stock) or a uniball setup. The Light Racing UCA, even though it is a ball joint UCA, will work with an extended travel coilover.
Ok so a uniball is just another type (persay) of UCA then?

so preatty much with wating a 2.5"-3" lift im going to want a LR UCA or a uniball UCA,, and to get both up and some down travel back get extended travel coil overs (or springs)? lol

Again thanks!!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #60
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok so a uniball is just another type (persay) of UCA then?

so preatty much with wating a 2.5"-3" lift im going to want a LR UCA or a uniball UCA,, and to get both up and some down travel back get extended travel coil overs (or springs)? lol

Again thanks!!
Extended travel coilovers will gain you back your downtravel, not uptravel. With any suspension lift kit, uptravel is not a concern, you'll have plenty of it. Otherwise, yes, you've got it.