1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen coils over 1st gen bilsteins?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by AZarchitect, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Feb 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    AZarchitect

AZarchitect [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD SR5 2x4
    Stock
    I tried searching on this but couldn't find anything,,,I found a good deal on brand new 2nd gen coils,,,,and wondering if it's possible to assemble a new strut with 1st gen 4600 bilsteins within the 2nd gen trd spring? :confused: Or is the spring too long?

I have a 01 TRD PreRunner v6 DC, BTW.

I'm trying to acheive a MUCH firmer front end and decrease body roll, etc.. It's really wavey and bouncy up front with cadillac style rebound, if that makes sense. Thanks for any help.

2. Feb 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM
    AZarchitect

AZarchitect [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD SR5 2x4
    Stock
    Just thought I would provide update. Guy at Wheelers Offroad sayss there is a small length difference but didn't see anythng wrong with using a 2nd gen coil on a 1st gen shock. "One of those try it and see what happens things" he said.

Also found out coils from 4x4 can swap over onto a 2x4 trd,,,same coil from what dealer said. Both are a offroad coil with same rate and length. Assuming they knew what they were talking about.

For now I'm going to recycle my old trd coil with 150k mi and assemble with these brand new 4600's...

20130227_175745.jpg
    20130227_180346.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top