Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Redundant Suspension Question

Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
Rookie305 is on a distinguished road
Name: JC
Rookie305's Tacoma Gallery
Redundant Suspension Question

This is were I need a bit of suggestive help. I live in South Florida, no hill or 4 wheeling. After 1 year with my truck, I would like to give it a bit of a lift. I am really not sure at all even after reading posts which way to go. I do not need a massive suspension system, 1) because it out of the budget now, and 2) all I need it for is looks. I was think of get spacers and blocks but it sounds like that is the wrong way to go. so I was thinking of going with Pro-Comp 3 inch lift with shocks K5081B. I was also looking at the Bilstein Adjustable lift kit w/ 5100's BK0510 but is about $200 more.

Any and all help and suggestions will be appreciated

JC

Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
I would get the billys. Everyone has them, becuase there relatively inexpensive for the quality of shock you are getting, they lift the vehicle, improve ride, and they work. I think the pro-comp also have a very stiff coil, making ride harsh.

regardless if your not planning on offroading with them, they will still improve on road driving, and should acomplish the "look" that your going for.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
the cheapest route you can go (without doing spacers) would be to add bilstein 5100's up front and an 1.5" AAL in the rear. Get an alignment and you're good to go.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Kevin-
With the 5100's would I need to add coils, or factory are fine? Now we just talking adding the 5100's and the aal on the back and thats it. would I need to add a shock extender for the rear?

Thanks for the info
Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
you can use the stock coild and adjust the billies.
Dont think you need a shock extender.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Don't need a shock extender, stock coils with front billies set at 1.75 will give you a little lift in the front, the ride will be stiffer on stock coils but you'll have to decide if that's good for you. If not, then a new set of coils would improve the ride a lot more. Installing a 1.5 or a 2 inch AAL from someone like Wheeler's Off Road would bring the rear up and with billies in the back the ride will be an improvement over your stock shocks.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Chris, ok, Will these work for the front?

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/pts/3566887299.html

Setting at 1.75 is how much lift?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you dont ask you dont learn....
Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie305 View Post
Chris, ok, Will these work for the front?

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/pts/3566887299.html

Setting at 1.75 is how much lift?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you dont ask you dont learn....
It's all good man, those I think look to be the rear shocks I think. the fronts you are looking for are technically called struts, but they are called shocks too, those are the Bilstein 5100 Height Adjustable Struts (or shocks).
And It's 1.75 inches of front lift
Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea if that is the part # for our trucks. but no you wont need rear shock extenders if you dont plan on offroading. Even if you do wheel it a little you wont hurt anything not having them.

If you only want to lift the front you can set the 5100's at 1.75". If you want to lift both the front and rear you would want a 1.5" aal for the rear and set the 5100's at 2.5", this would make your truck pretty much level. if you want a slight rake with the rear being taller get the 2" AAL.

keep in mind that the higher you go the stiffer your truck will ride.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Awesome, great info...