1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

01kingtaco installs full ome lift, dakar leafs, light raacing uca's on 01 tacoma v6

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 01kingtaco, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Mar 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    01kingtaco

01kingtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kodiak
    Maui hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 taco slightly modded
    Bigger tires, sound system, deck plate mod, fog light mod, straight pipe exhaust, blue led floor lights, ultragauge, 3 inch lift
    I just finshed installing my lift kit today and i thought id show how it went for me.
    heres how the truck sat before the lift.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I forgot to measure what it sat at before i lifted it because i was so excited to get it installed. It took me a total of 15 hours (all by myself) with hand tools and a dewalt impact gun, floor jack and 2 jack stands and wood blocks. I ordered a full ome lift kit with 883 coils nitrocharger shocks(preassembled for a extra $120, well worth it.) and dakar leaf packs with greasble shackles and light racing upper control arms, everything i bought came from wheelers offroad, very helpfull and will order from there again if needed. i installed the rear extened brake line a week before so i didnt have to deal with it when i installed this. i started with the front taking the upper control arms and coil springs off to remove the bolt for the upper control arm i had to take the brackets off of two sensors to get the bolt to come out.it only took me 4 hours take everything out of the front witch wasnt bad. The front went in prety easy no prying on the lower control arm to get the coilspring in or anything like that. i used a balljoint press i bought off Amazon to get the old balljoints out and the sleeves in. i did not disconect the spindle or the tie rod to do this. and used a rachet strap to hold the spinlde from falling. I set the new uca's to -1.00 witch actually is +1.00 so i can acheaive a good caster number to not have rubbing om my pinch weld when i get bigger tires.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lucky i was able to use the concret slab
    [​IMG]
    New front end:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cv angles before diffdrop at full drop
    [​IMG]
    cv angles after diffdrop with it sitting at ride height.
    [​IMG]
    all this room for new tires:D
    [​IMG]
    halfway done
    [​IMG]
    when putting th skid plates back on i had to elongate the back skid plate mounting holes so it would lign up the front skid plate holes no pics but u get the idea.

Onto the rear.
    i started out by placing jack stand under the frame while jacking on the pumkin off the axle. I did the brake propartal valve relocater first as to not strech that out. I did one side at a time by first removing the u bolts and then the leaf spring pivot bolts and the shackle. Be carefull not damage the rear brake lines and the parking brake cable when taking out and putting in the leaf springs cuz there heavy!
    heres one side apart
    [​IMG]
    old vs. new leafs
    [​IMG]
    i found out at this point that i didnt jack up the truck itself high enough on the jack stands to let the axle down far enough with jack on the pumkin:eek:. so after much swearing i figured that if i put a 4 inch block under the drum i was able to get the jack out from under the pumkin and put in under the axle shaft and let it down more to let the new leaf spring in.I put in the leafs by putting the pivot bolt in first then putting the shackles together and on the truck. make sure u lube up the pins with grease for the shackles first before u put them together. I got all of that snugged up and was about to put the center pin into the axle hole when i found out that the center pin on these leaf springs is about 2 inches forward of what the old ones where:eek:again! so i figured id loosin the u bolts on the other side to see if i could push it forward and sure shit it worked and was able to push the axle forward and get the leaf in the slot:rolleyes:.Heres the rear halfway done.
    [​IMG]
    another shot hereu can see how low the axle actually was:eek:
    [​IMG]
    As u can see i had to cut the exhuast tip off. I didnt see why to drop the exhaust down 3 inchs just so it could get hung up on somthing...
    I moved onto the other side and riped apart and put that together too. much faster then the other side.
    [​IMG]
    how it looks at full drop without shocks.
    [​IMG]
    when installing the rear shocks the bushings that the gave me i could not for the life of me press into the shocks and i dont know if ur supose to or not but i cut them in half. with a grinder with a cut offwheel.
    heres pics off that
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AND the final product is....... this!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    poser shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    had to test out the flex a little....i like....:D
    [​IMG][/url
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and my favorite pic i took so far with the new lift!
    [​IMG]

And thats that! the ride is a little stiff witch is to be expected with a brand new lift but i like it so far. the final measurements after the install is 39.5 inchs give or take a 1/8 inch around the hole truck from the concrete to the top of the wheel well witch is perfect. i love a level truck and thats what i wanted. overall total satsified with everything but its only been a day so will see. tomorow im getting it aligned but driving it now it seemes prety stable while turning no darting or anything. And best of all witch was somthing i was afraid is NO VIBRATIONS!!! up to 70mph witch is great. havent gone faster then that yet.:D

Not a detailed install but good enough i think. thanks for looking and post a coment if you have a question or anything.

2. Mar 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Congrats man! Looks good!

3. Mar 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM
    01kingtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kodiak
    Maui hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 taco slightly modded
    Bigger tires, sound system, deck plate mod, fog light mod, straight pipe exhaust, blue led floor lights, ultragauge, 3 inch lift
    thanks man now i just need some 32's!!!

4. Mar 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    01kingtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kodiak
    Maui hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 taco slightly modded
    Got the truck aligned today everything was pretty close to spec toe and camber were a lil high but that's it. The tech was really cool and let me watch him do it. And plus he was impressed by my exhaust :)

5. Mar 5, 2013 at 5:37 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Looks good you should be able to fit 285's.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. Mar 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    01kingtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kodiak
    Maui hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 taco slightly modded
    Thanks see idk if I wana go with 33s I'm afraid of too much power loss. Idk il propaly try them though

7. Mar 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    01kingtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kodiak
    Maui hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 taco slightly modded
    the truck has settled down about 1/4 inch after 250 miles now i hope the front settles a little more to help my cv angles

8. Mar 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    TacoSkeet

TacoSkeet 'MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 DC Tacoma
    Good write up! This is the setup I am looking to get soon. Your truck looks good

9. Mar 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    01kingtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kodiak
    Maui hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 taco slightly modded
    hay thanks, yea i researched for months on what to get and this is what i got. i love every part of it. i would recomnd u get the same 883 coils that i got especaly cuz u got the double cab. there a lil stiff but i want to get a a plate bumber down the road and these wont sag.

10. Apr 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    Trowbocop

Trowbocop Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Nice write-up. I bet you're so stoked right now! Congrats. I put mine on in Dec, but it's kind of half ass- 881's and an aal in my stock pack with nitrocharger sports. Might be getting uca's and dakars with my tax refund :D 883s will come a year or two down the road when I actually get my plate bumper. I figured for now I'd do 881's and I've got no complaints with them.

Pics look good, now time for some new tires! :cheers:

11. Nov 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    Arctic Taco

Arctic Taco Firefly, Serenity Ed. -Arctic Taco, a slow build

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denali Park, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma Xtra Cab DLX, 85 Toyota LWB 4x4
    dents and missing bits Gravel garage, hillbilly trained mechanic…
    Nice job, I went with the 883 and. Billie 5100 on zero. Diff drop is next waiting for a 12 mm allen wrench. On tap OME Dakars w/ AAL greaseable shackles and maybe nitros on the rear. I am currently running the Daystar AAL with a ARE topper. Seems to be doing pretty good, only have about 2500 miles since the new coils and aal, waiting for the mounting hardware fro the ARB bumper then we'll see how the ride is, not too stiff, but my other rides are a 01 Dodge CTD, and an 85 SR5 yota, so it seems to be a bit smoother than those 2.

Products Discussed in

To Top