Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Total Chaos UCA Problem

Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
masshole taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Big Daddy
masshole taco's Tacoma Gallery
Total Chaos UCA Problem

So my truck failed state inspection this week.. Front left wheel bearing... OR SO I THOUGHT... I brought it to the dealer as its still under warranty and they state the bearing is fine... The TC UCA has a bolt goind down in throught the knuckle and apparently that is extremely loose... I mean to the point where I shouldn't of been driving it.. .The bolt either snapped inside the knuckle or elongated the hole.. They're taking it apart now and seeing what happenend... TC wants pictures of what's going on... I just bought this back in May so I'm not happy at all..
Old 03-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Probably wasn't torqued correctly and had play for quite awhile . Doubt you snapped that bolt . Or maybe uniballs were installed backwards .
Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Probably wasn't torqued correctly and had play for quite awhile . Doubt you snapped that bolt . Or maybe uniballs were installed backwards .
Most likely the lack of torque. Can't really istall a Uniball backwards on a TC UCA, unless you put them on upside down.

That or he did not install the sleeve that is suppose to go between the UCA bolt and the spindle.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #4

I have the dealer snapping pics and I'll post up here once I get them.. .My buddy who did the inspection was telling me I shouldn't even drive it to the dealer as there was so much play in it but I was assuming it was the wheel bearing and since it was under warranty I was like hell yeah they're replacing it for free... LOL..
Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #5

Well per the dealer, and the attached pictures the bolt inside the uca had stripped threads.. Sounds to me that they used an impact wrench or something and just torqued the crap out of it and stripped the threads.. that's my only idea??? Now... I've had this lift since June... Who pays for the new bolt and the new knuckle.. I'm voting dealer.. see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Total Chaos UCA Problem-image.jpg   Total Chaos UCA Problem-image_2.jpg   Total Chaos UCA Problem-image_1.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Who installed UCA's?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
The installer would pay for it. Maybe they torqued the bolt while the vehicle was suspended, then lowered the truck (supposed to torque it on it's own weight) causing the failure, who knows.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #8

dealer did.. that's what I'm thinking too... Problem is now I need a new nut bolt, and I would like a new knuckle and I want the dealer to pay the $$$
Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #9
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshole taco View Post
So my truck failed state inspection this week.. Front left wheel bearing... OR SO I THOUGHT... I brought it to the dealer as its still under warranty and they state the bearing is fine... The TC UCA has a bolt goind down in throught the knuckle and apparently that is extremely loose... I mean to the point where I shouldn't of been driving it.. .The bolt either snapped inside the knuckle or elongated the hole.. They're taking it apart now and seeing what happenend... TC wants pictures of what's going on... I just bought this back in May so I'm not happy at all..

LOL, bumper to bumper safety inspections, get ready Cali drivers were next.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #10

Just to give everyone an update.. it turns out the bolt inside the balljoint was completely worn.. threads were worn right off it.. had to get a new grade 8 nut and bolt and have two sleeves overnighted from total chaos.. Pat over at Total Chaos is awesome if anybody ever needs something definetly contact him.. getting the truck back today and getting it reinspected.. what a pain in the ASS..