Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Mid-Travel Question

Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
TRDTim is on a distinguished road
TRDTim's Tacoma Gallery
Mid-Travel Question

Hey,

I Have had my taco for about a month now and love it, and I want to pull the trigger on a mid travel kit. I was wondering how much the parts plus labor would run me, any suggestions on a brand and the pros and cons?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
First off welcome to TW! Is this your daily driver? Do you plan on doing a lot of off-roading?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDTim View Post
Hey,

I Have had my taco for about a month now and love it, and I want to pull the trigger on a mid travel kit. I was wondering how much the parts plus labor would run me, any suggestions on a brand and the pros and cons?

Thanks
Kings up front with Total Chaos UCAs is about $2,000. I would guess about $400 for install from a reputable shop. The rear depends on what you want, AAL and new shocks is about $500 with probably $250 in installation fees. You could save a ton of money and DIY, there are write ups here on TW and there are plenty of knowledgeable people that will work for beer and food.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Choose cheapest price you can get of the big names: fox, king, saw, icon etc...

Install yourself if possible or else it should cost a few hundred to install.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
The basic MT kit is pretty much bolt on. I got mine from DSM and paid about $2500 shipped to Hawaii.

I just had back surgery a month ago, and was able to install all of it myself in about two days taking my time so I don't hurt myself.
Now if you also want gusseted spindles, buckets, straps, then I'd pay a professional to do that.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
TRDTim is on a distinguished road
TRDTim's Tacoma Gallery
Its my daily driver and do plan to do quite a bit of offroading, does the ride and handling change that much, how easy is it to live with on a daily bases?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Daily driving and living is fine .
Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Senior Clown
Werkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Werkro01's Tacoma Gallery
I have a new question that goes with this topic. I've been wanting to upgrade my suspension to a extended or mid travel suspension as well. I see that ballaculla's MT kit has some AAL's for the rear. Does that mean you have to add a lift to the rear for the extended travel or is that optional? Or must I lift the truck in order to get the extended travel?

I have been thinking about getting some adjustable shocks to level the ride with out decreasing the up travel and not over extending the down travel is this a good idea?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm really not sure because i'm still an MT noob, but the extended travel is mostly in your droop unless you run LT and shock hoops. Your bump stops are still the same, so your up travel will still be the same, But if the aftermarket shock body is longer than stock, then you wouldn't get as much stuff, and have to get longer bumps to avoid damaging your new shocks.
I was told that running the front coilovers at stock height would be fine too.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
fj40taz is on a distinguished road

Name: Carl
fj40taz's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of lift did u get out of it and who makes the kit
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Call DSM.......think I saw someone post $1,800 priced for full icon front and rear!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40taz View Post
What kind of lift did u get out of it and who makes the kit
If you were talking to me, DSM sells the kit. If you go to their site, you can build your own MT kit and pick and choose your components.
I chose Fox shocks, Total Chaos UCAs and the Icon 3 leaf mini pack AAL.
The coilovers are adjustable so you can run them from stock height up to 3" of lift. With the Icon mini pack, I got 2" of lift with the overload removed. I might put it back tho.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
fj40taz is on a distinguished road

Name: Carl
fj40taz's Tacoma Gallery
Who is dsm
Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40taz View Post
Who is dsm
Downsouth Motorsports