Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME 885, 5100's, LR UCA Topping out?!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #121
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
steezinstangl's Tacoma Gallery
what i plan on doing down the road is putting part of a bike tube or finding rubber things to cushion the coil on the bottom coil plate so it wouldn't have metal on metal contact. but i don't wanna mess with it since id rather not get another alignment lol
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #122
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
If the coil is seated properly i highly doubt that it is bouncing off of the coil seat making a noise
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #123
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

it is seated properly, man i don't even know anymore haha, i'll just drive it
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #124
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezinstangl View Post
the coils are seated correctly. my cousin and i made sure everything was together right when we assembled it all. and he works on cars for a living so he's knows what he's doing for sure haha. i'll try the fat friends in the truck and see what that does. what i find weird is that even though i haven an access cab ive seen people on here need the top plate + 885's to get 3inches, i got 3 with just the coils! or close to it.

My access cab got full 3" with just the coils too.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by totmacher View Post
My access cab got full 3" with just the coils too.
do you have that clunk or thud sound too right after going over the top of the speed bump?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #126
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
do you have that clunk or thud sound too right after going over the top of the speed bump?

Yeah but it's a lot less noticable the more weight I have in the truck. I've got a little over 2000 miles on my lift now and it's not as bad now as was at the beginning.

With 30 cement blocks stacked in the front half of the bed and a 200lb passenger the front does smooth out quite a bit but still bangs some.

I've put marking paint in various places and haven't fount any contact happening (none of that paint chipping/rubbing off).

Like we've said earlier, I'm pretty sure is just that the access cab prerunner doesn't have enough front weight to compress the 885s down for normal driving so the shock is getting slammed to full extension a lot.

I'm thinking about make a front skid plate bull bar thing for the main purpose of getting some weight out front but that'll depend on how much the materials would cost. Not willing to spend much on it.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #127

Agreed. It has to be the weight since we have the lightest tacomas available other than the regular cab. Other than that I love the suspension set up I have. Well worth every penny.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #128
SnowmanFX is on a distinguished road
SnowmanFX's Tacoma Gallery
After thinking back, I had a clunk when mine were brand new but it was only on the drivers side.

I think after a trip out to Big Bend State Park and baja driving they settled and stopped, cause I haven't heard it since.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #129

Cool

after a few weeks of driving it, the clunk has pretty much gone away, suspension even feels smoother and softer. i think the shocks and coils breaking in has really helped it. maybe a little offroad adventure might help it too like you said haha
Old 03-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #130
jerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to behold
jerysan's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jerysan
Have the same sound coming from the front passenger side. I have the 885x with 5100's set at 0 with top spacer kit. It's only been a week on the install.

2009 Prerunner DCSB V6
Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #131
wobble is on a distinguished road
wobble's Tacoma Gallery
I have a similar sound on both sides that started when I installed TC UCAs and 886x springs on 5100s a couple weeks ago. It started on the driver's side. Then a day later, the passenger side started doing it.

2005 DC 4x4 w/bumper and winch
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #132
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Strap it so it doesn't top out. Problem solved /thread
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #133
jerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to behold
jerysan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc0monkey View Post
Strap it so it doesn't top out. Problem solved /thread
Searched for the limit straps and can't find a thread....
Old 04-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #134
jerysan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been searching all over the internet and tacomaworld especially, but i can't find anything that truly answers my question..I recently installed OME 885 coils with bilstein 5100's (set to 0) along with Light Racing UCA's to correct my alignment but i have a slight problem. it rides unusually stiff i feel like and going over normal parking lot speed bumps even at very slow speed the shocks top out? All i know is that its a massive bang/clunk sound from my front end on both sides right as i get over the crest of the speed bump. Does anyone have any input on how to fix this or why/what's going on?

Thanks in advance
-Ryan
I had the same problem on my and decided to take it to the Truck Shop here in San Diego. I talked with James there and he told me that the shocks were maxed out. So my OME 885x with the 5100's set at 0" plus the Toytec top spacer kit didn't work like i had belived. So, had had the spacers removed there and know the truck rides fine, no more clunk/thud going over bumps. Had to compensate height.
Hope this helps you out.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerysan View Post
I had the same problem on my and decided to take it to the Truck Shop here in San Diego. I talked with James there and he told me that the shocks were maxed out. So my OME 885x with the 5100's set at 0" plus the Toytec top spacer kit didn't work like i had belived. So, had had the spacers removed there and know the truck rides fine, no more clunk/thud going over bumps. Had to compensate height.
Hope this helps you out.
double cab huh?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #136
Carmaniac is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
Carmaniac's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having the EXACT same issue. DCSB 4x4 with 885 and OME shocks. Horrible speed bump clunk and like you, offroading, rattles and clunks. I'm almost thinking about going back to stock it frustrates me so much. I email ToyTec, whom I purchased the lift from, and they told me to give it time, and most people like the set up. Sure. I might be driving down there when I get back in town from work. Its not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtaco View Post
I have this exact same issue but running 885 w/OME shocks on a v6 dcsb no sway bar and shocks were assembled by toytec. It doesn't happen on big long speed bumps but more so on short speed bumps. Also offroad, the way I drive it clunks like no other really Fing annoying. I doubt it has anything to do with the shock topping out or overcompressing but you may be on to some thing when you put grease and the clunk went away I think that kinda identifies where the sound is coming from... Idk ill take a look after work
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #137
4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alan
4OYOTER's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4x4 access cab with bilstein/eibach coilovers assembled from toytec. I had no clank noise until a few thousand miles AFTER the lift was installed. It was right around the same time I added winch/bumper/armor. Not sure if the timing was coincidental or not.. Driving down "wash board" dirt roads really gets the clank going!! I've inspected everything myself and even had a few shops look it over.. Nobody has found anything wrong. I've kinda gotten used to the clank noise..
Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #138
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmaniac View Post
I'm having the EXACT same issue. DCSB 4x4 with 885 and OME shocks. Horrible speed bump clunk and like you, offroading, rattles and clunks. I'm almost thinking about going back to stock it frustrates me so much. I email ToyTec, whom I purchased the lift from, and they told me to give it time, and most people like the set up. Sure. I might be driving down there when I get back in town from work. Its not right.
Have you checked to make sure your coils are seated correctly ?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #139

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmaniac View Post
it does get better over time, still a clunk over some speed bumps but nowhere near how bad it was at first, give it a little while to break in. sadly i don't think we'll be able to truly fix it but none the less, still a great suspension setup i think
Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #140
Carmaniac is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
Carmaniac's Tacoma Gallery
The coils are seated correct as far as I can tell. I ordered them assembled from ToyTec as I have done too many lifts, and I get tired of compressing springs!
I will give it a little more time, but I might end up going another route. Just helped a friend install Toytec coil overs on his 3rd gen runner, and his ride made me jealous. I also had OME on my last 3rd Gen Runner and NEVER had a problem like this. Rather dissappointing. If anyone ever figures anything out post up, and I will do the same!