Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

would a free revtek 3'' lift be worth it?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Mavicx is on a distinguished road
Mavicx's Tacoma Gallery
would a free revtek 3'' lift be worth it?

Im new to the forum so i apologize if this post is in the wrong area or if this topic is all ready beat to death, but i need help.

Im picking up a 2013 access cab TRD off road with 6 speed manual in about 8 weeks. i've talked my dealership into giving me a 3'' lift but it would have to be the revtek. if i could afford an actual lift any time soon and it wouldn't mess with my warranty i would. may take 2-4 years to afford the type of lift i want

its a daily driver, i dont do hardcore off roading, and the little i do is more of the slow going style. only reason i want a lift and bigger aggressive tires is to help me get into more of the remote fishing and camping spots. also need to keep stock 16'' rims for now. (money is a bit tight)

i know alot of people would never pay for for this style of "lift" but would you put it on your truck for a temporary 2-4 year fix if it was free?

thank you.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Anything free is good in my book. I've run spacers and blocks for 2 years and it was fine, although installing a lift doesn't necessarily void your warranty.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Banned
prerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud of
prerantaco's Tacoma Gallery
if its free, id take it. i would try to get them to throw in some bilstein 5100s instead
Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
How much is this revtech lift costing you from the dealership? I can promise you they aren't giving it to you for free... Lifts don't void your warranty. I'd look into 5100's instead of the spacer.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavicx View Post
Im new to the forum so i apologize if this post is in the wrong area or if this topic is all ready beat to death, but i need help.

Im picking up a 2013 access cab TRD off road with 6 speed manual in about 8 weeks. i've talked my dealership into giving me a 3'' lift but it would have to be the revtek. if i could afford an actual lift any time soon and it wouldn't mess with my warranty i would. may take 2-4 years to afford the type of lift i want

its a daily driver, i dont do hardcore off roading, and the little i do is more of the slow going style. only reason i want a lift and bigger aggressive tires is to help me get into more of the remote fishing and camping spots. also need to keep stock 16'' rims for now. (money is a bit tight)

i know alot of people would never pay for for this style of "lift" but would you put it on your truck for a temporary 2-4 year fix if it was free?

thank you.
I would pass.
If the dealer will throw in the aggressive tires for free, take that.
I think what will happen is if you get the revtec kit, eventually your confidence is going to grow when you are out in your "remote fishing and camping" spots and your going to make some decisions that could end up very costly.
If you were only using your truck for the street, then yes I would say take the free revtec as a temp solution.
Its probably not a "true" 3 inch lift anyway and if your going to these remote places without any kind of recovery gear then your going to get yourself in trouble.

Pass on the lift kit. Ask for some cooper, BFG' at's or something comparable. Invest in cheap recovery gear. (shovels, hi lift jack, tow rope, traction aid) and wheel it till you can buy a lift tha's meant to take a beating.

Your truck is pretty capable of doing what you want it to do in stock form.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Out of curiosity, what would be your ideal lift? You say you can't afford the lift you want for 2-4 years but you're buying a brand new truck now? As long as you're not wanting to go LT or have really high end components you can get a good suspension lift for under a grand.

At any rate, I wouldn't take it. I agree with trying to get them to throw in some better tires instead.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
5100s are just alittle more. Maybe they will let you pay the difference. I have them. They are great.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Mavicx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
5100s are just alittle more. Maybe they will let you pay the difference. I have them. They are great.
do you have the 5100s front and rear? did you have to do any other work or was it a straightforward bolt in?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Mavicx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
Out of curiosity, what would be your ideal lift? You say you can't afford the lift you want for 2-4 years but you're buying a brand new truck now? As long as you're not wanting to go LT or have really high end components you can get a good suspension lift for under a grand.
Lol. I made a deal with the devil, I get my new truck, the wife gets a new kitchen

I dream about an LT tacoma, nothing is more sexy. but i was thinking coilovers, upper and lower arms, new leafs and shocks also rims, tires, and trail armor.

Matic, i agree with you on the confidence thing. thats why i dont do any hard wheeling now, dont want to brake things.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
The stock 4x4 OR is a very capable truck in most situations. Like others said, its the stock tires that hold it back the most.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
EATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mark
EATABULLETcom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavicx View Post
Lol. I made a deal with the devil, I get my new truck, the wife gets a new kitchen

I dream about an LT tacoma, nothing is more sexy. but i was thinking coilovers, upper and lower arms, new leafs and shocks also rims, tires, and trail armor.

Matic, i agree with you on the confidence thing. thats why i dont do any hard wheeling now, dont want to brake things.
i agree i would keep the suspension stock until you can afford to do the lift correctly. just get some good tires!