1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

would a free revtek 3'' lift be worth it?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Mavicx, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mar 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    Mavicx

Mavicx [OP] New Member

Member:
    bc
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma
    Im new to the forum so i apologize if this post is in the wrong area or if this topic is all ready beat to death, but i need help.

Im picking up a 2013 access cab TRD off road with 6 speed manual in about 8 weeks. i've talked my dealership into giving me a 3'' lift but it would have to be the revtek. if i could afford an actual lift any time soon and it wouldn't mess with my warranty i would. may take 2-4 years to afford the type of lift i want

its a daily driver, i dont do hardcore off roading, and the little i do is more of the slow going style. only reason i want a lift and bigger aggressive tires is to help me get into more of the remote fishing and camping spots. also need to keep stock 16'' rims for now. (money is a bit tight)

i know alot of people would never pay for for this style of "lift" but would you put it on your truck for a temporary 2-4 year fix if it was free?

thank you.

2. Mar 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Anything free is good in my book. I've run spacers and blocks for 2 years and it was fine, although installing a lift doesn't necessarily void your warranty.

3. Mar 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    prerantaco

prerantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    mesa, az
    Vehicle:
    prerunner
    if its free, id take it. i would try to get them to throw in some bilstein 5100s instead :D

4. Mar 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    How much is this revtech lift costing you from the dealership? I can promise you they aren't giving it to you for free... Lifts don't void your warranty. I'd look into 5100's instead of the spacer.

5. Mar 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    I would pass.
    If the dealer will throw in the aggressive tires for free, take that.
    I think what will happen is if you get the revtec kit, eventually your confidence is going to grow when you are out in your "remote fishing and camping" spots and your going to make some decisions that could end up very costly.
    If you were only using your truck for the street, then yes I would say take the free revtec as a temp solution.
    Its probably not a "true" 3 inch lift anyway and if your going to these remote places without any kind of recovery gear then your going to get yourself in trouble.

Pass on the lift kit. Ask for some cooper, BFG' at's or something comparable. Invest in cheap recovery gear. (shovels, hi lift jack, tow rope, traction aid) and wheel it till you can buy a lift tha's meant to take a beating.

Your truck is pretty capable of doing what you want it to do in stock form.

6. Mar 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Out of curiosity, what would be your ideal lift? You say you can't afford the lift you want for 2-4 years but you're buying a brand new truck now? As long as you're not wanting to go LT or have really high end components you can get a good suspension lift for under a grand.

At any rate, I wouldn't take it. I agree with trying to get them to throw in some better tires instead.

7. Mar 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    5100s are just alittle more. Maybe they will let you pay the difference. I have them. They are great.

8. Mar 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    Mavicx

Mavicx [OP] New Member

Member:
    bc
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma
    do you have the 5100s front and rear? did you have to do any other work or was it a straightforward bolt in?

9. Mar 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    Mavicx

Mavicx [OP] New Member

Member:
    bc
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma
    Lol. I made a deal with the devil, I get my new truck, the wife gets a new kitchen

I dream about an LT tacoma, nothing is more sexy. but i was thinking coilovers, upper and lower arms, new leafs and shocks also rims, tires, and trail armor.

Matic, i agree with you on the confidence thing. thats why i dont do any hard wheeling now, dont want to brake things.

10. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    The stock 4x4 OR is a very capable truck in most situations. Like others said, its the stock tires that hold it back the most.

11. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    Ugly Betty

Ugly Betty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    1985 ex cab, 92 toyota pickup, 95 4runner
    i agree i would keep the suspension stock until you can afford to do the lift correctly. just get some good tires!

Products Discussed in

To Top