Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

TRD vs. SR5 Suspension Stiffness

Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
kdewit is on a distinguished road
kdewit's Tacoma Gallery
TRD vs. SR5 Suspension Stiffness

Hey all, my first post and about to get my 1st Taco.
Looking at DCSB 4 x 4 SR5 or TRD. Question is:
Will the TRD Blistein shocks have a stiffer, less comfortable ride on the road than the stock SR5 shocks?
My use will be primarily road and some backcountry access on dirt but no real 4 x 4. A lot of snow driving so thinking the 245s will be best.
I like the TRD, just dont need a 4 x 4 beast and a stiff ride for long road trips.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdewit View Post
Hey all, my first post and about to get my 1st Taco.
Looking at DCSB 4 x 4 SR5 or TRD. Question is:
Will the TRD Blistein shocks have a stiffer, less comfortable ride on the road than the stock SR5 shocks?
My use will be primarily road and some backcountry access on dirt but no real 4 x 4. A lot of snow driving so thinking the 245s will be best.
I like the TRD, just dont need a 4 x 4 beast and a stiff ride for long road trips.
Welcome!
TRD Sport or Off Road?
Suspension is different on both models.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Welcome!
TRD Sport or Off Road?
X2. The OR edition has progressive springs.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm pretty sure the Sport will be stiffer than the OR on the street because of the sport tuned suspension, but I do not know how either would compare to the SR5 suspension. I would say get the Off Road if you plan to leave it stock. Get the Sport or SR5 if you plan to modify the suspension.
...which you probably will since you got sucked in to TW
Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
kdewit's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Sport
Old 03-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Sport will be stiffer than the OR on the street because of the sport tuned suspension, but I do not know how either would compare to the SR5 suspension. I would say get the Off Road if you plan to leave it stock. Get the Sport or SR5 if you plan to modify the suspension.
You do realize there are a lot of other benefits to buying the Off Road than just the coils right?

OP, drive them both, decide for yourself which one you like. Asking someone's opinion on ride quality is pointless since everyone has different preferences. Personally, I think the Off Road rides stiffer on the street out of any of them. The TRD Sport and SR5 have the same coils but the Bilstein shocks that come on the TRD Sport I think help dampen the ride better. Before you decide on which model to get, make sure you realize what else comes with the particular package that you're looking at. For example, the TRD Off Road is the only one of them that comes with a rear locker.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
kdewit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Nice...you guys are never satisfied!
I think the OR has more 4x4 tranny gizmos (locker, ATRAC...) that I do not need, so...was thinking of SR5 or TRD Sport, and leaving it stock. I'm getting the feeling that TRD Sport is street-sport so it will have better street performance like less lean on turns , but SR5 stock may have a smoother ride. I also really want fogs and its 1000$ upgrade for SR5 from the dealer.
Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
kdewit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You do realize there are a lot of other benefits to buying the Off Road than just the coils right?

OP, drive them both, decide for yourself which one you like. Asking someone's opinion on ride quality is pointless since everyone has different preferences. Personally, I think the Off Road rides stiffer on the street out of any of them. The TRD Sport and SR5 have the same coils but the Bilstein shocks that come on the TRD Sport I think help dampen the ride better. Before you decide on which model to get, make sure you realize what else comes with the particular package that you're looking at. For example, the TRD Off Road is the only one of them that comes with a rear locker.
If TRD Sport dampens the ride better...and it has fogs, better seats and the AC outlet, then that may be my choice.
I know you will find this silly, but I want to keep it low so I also want the 16" alloys with 245's for snow grip. Not an off-road dude here, just a gear head.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If TRD Sport dampens the ride better...and it has fogs, better seats and the AC outlet, then that may be my choice.
I know you will find this silly, but I want to keep it low so I also want the 16" alloys with 245's for snow grip. Not an off-road dude here, just a gear head.
TRD Sport has 17" wheels
Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can put 245's on the 17" TRD Sport wheels or try to see if the dealership will work a deal with you and put 16" TRD Off Road wheels on your TRD Sport. I wouldn't want the 245/75R16 Dunlop Grandtreks that come on the base model trucks if snow grip is a concern of yours. i've got 17" TRD Sport wheels and I'm debating 255 or 245 series tires for my next set. To be honest though, the Tacoma does handle very well on a good set of 265 series tires. Mine came with 245 and I made the jump to 265 and have not noticed any negative effects.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I say go with the TRD Sports edition....you wont be disappointed!!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
IKA fabrications

Quote:
Of course, That's why I bought one! but he was specifically asking about suspension.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
kdewit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can put 245's on the 17" TRD Sport wheels or try to see if the dealership will work a deal with you and put 16" TRD Off Road wheels on your TRD Sport. I wouldn't want the 245/75R16 Dunlop Grandtreks that come on the base model trucks if snow grip is a concern of yours. i've got 17" TRD Sport wheels and I'm debating 255 or 245 series tires for my next set. To be honest though, the Tacoma does handle very well on a good set of 265 series tires. Mine came with 245 and I made the jump to 265 and have not noticed any negative effects.
Cool idea. I was thinking of getting the OR 16" wheels, although they come with a 265/70 tire. Maybe that will be fine but it seems that the 245 would have an edge in snow, and maybe be a quieter ride on pavement too.
Or maybe the upgraded SR5 alloy wheels, with the 245/75, not sure what make of tire that is though. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
kdewit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Welcome!
TRD Sport or Off Road?
Hey bullaculla, nice ride! I am looking at a similar setup...thinking about the Red but I like the grey too.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Of course, That's why I bought one! but he was specifically asking about suspension.
I guess my point was, coils can be easily changed out, some of the other features can not be. If you get the Sport and decide you want Off Road coils, you can swap them out very easily. If you get the Sport and decide you want the locker... well get ready to drop $1,000 on an aftermarket one or more if you want OEM. I didn't want the OP to get tunnel vision based on a set of coilovers when it could mean settling on a lot of other options.

Quote:
Cool idea. I was thinking of getting the OR 16" wheels, although they come with a 265/70 tire. Maybe that will be fine but it seems that the 245 would have an edge in snow, and maybe be a quieter ride on pavement too.
Or maybe the upgraded SR5 alloy wheels, with the 245/75, not sure what make of tire that is though. Thanks!
When I bought my SR5, it came with the 'Baja' alloy wheels wrapped in 245/75R16 Dunlop Grandtreks. I believe they are still using that tire if you get the 245s and even some of the TRD Sports have that tire on 17" wheels.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
IKA fabrications

Quote:
I guess my point was, coils can be easily changed out, some of the other features can not be. If you get the Sport and decide you want Off Road coils, you can swap them out very easily. If you get the Sport and decide you want the locker... well get ready to drop $1,000 on an aftermarket one or more if you want OEM. I didn't want the OP to get tunnel vision based on a set of coilovers when it could mean settling on a lot of other options.
I totally agree. That's why I suggested the OR if he wanted to stay stock. Very capable in stock form. If you really like the look of the sport, then you can easily upgrade the suspension. Lots of people sell their stock suspension out of new Off Roads very cheap. I just sold mine
Or you can spend a grand or three on aftermarket suspension
Locker is not so easy tho.

Quote:
Hey bullaculla, nice ride! I am looking at a similar setup...thinking about the Red but I like the grey too.
Thanks! its coming along. Need bigger tires now. You cant go wrong with either color. I'm also fond of the green and white tacos.