Notices

UCA Comparison

Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Grakyn is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
Grakyn's Tacoma Gallery
UCA Comparison

Hi folks,

First off, my apologies if there is already a thread on this. Didn't see one.

I'm relatively new to lifting. I have a 2013 DCLB TRD Sport. I'm looking at grabbing the ToyTec Ultimate lift. I'm just wondering about upper control arms. What am I looking for in a UCA? The ToyTec lift gives the option of adding Light Racing UCAs, but in cruising some builds, I see people are using Total Chaos, Icon, All Pro and a few others. Now given that I'm not opposed to spending money to get good quality, what should I be looking for?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Light Racing/SPC uses an adjustable ball joint and is quite a bit cheaper than most aftermarket UCAs. Its also sealed so there is little to no maintenance.

Total Chaos, All Pro, and Icons tubular UCAs uses a uniball which will give more travel than a regular ball joint, but requires more maintenance and the uniball will need to be replaced when it wears out. They also can get squeaky from what I have read here on TW.
These are also non adjustable unless you want to upgrade to the TC heim joint UCAs, or the $1300 ICON billet aluminum UCAs which also have heim joints and a dustcover on the uniball.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Are you doing UCA's for better articulation or primarily for alignment ?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #4

Grakyn's Tacoma Gallery
At the moment, I will be putting in UCAs mainly for alignment. But I might move to an LT setup down the road too.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Then save your money and go with the LR. You cant use the same arms for LT anyway.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
The uniball will give a bit more articulation for offroad. Other than that they are more expensive, need more maintenance & less adjustable as has been stated....
Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Then save your money and go with the LR. You cant use the same arms for LT anyway.
x2. If you're going LT, then you'll be replacing both lower and upper control arms anyways.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #8

Grakyn's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice. I'll grab the LR UCAs for now! The ToyTec kit will mark the official start of my build
Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
IKA fabrications

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
OTOH, any of those aftermarket arms, even used will sell pretty quick here on TW, for not a whole lot less than you bought it for. TC seems to be most desirable/common.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
gretch6364 is on a distinguished road
gretch6364's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know the differences in the 2013 stock UCA's vs prior? They seem to be a ball joint. Are you still able to gain some travel with aftermarket UCA's?