1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" lift - FOX & All-Pro or OME?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Salt, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    Salt

Salt [OP] ...

Member:
    Lyons, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12' DCORSB TRD
    SnugTop XV with yakima rack. Factory Cab roof rack. Full bedrug. Debadged. Full OME suspention kit, 866's & Dakars. SPC UCA's. Slee Sliders. ARB front bumper w/ M8000 Warn winch. FJ TRD Wheels. Cooper ST Maxx, 255/85r16
    Hey fellas,

I'm planning a 3" lift as soon as funding allows. I have a 2012 DCORSB TRD with a Snugtop XV shell. I frequenty have the truck loaded with four MTB's, four people, and enough camping gear to live very well. So as you can imagine I need to boost my payload. My truck is my daily driver, but I only commute about 35 miles a day total. I live in Lyons CO, so my focus is MTB adventures, camping trips in remote mountains, and occasional trips out to Moab. I'll never be a hardcore moab type wheeler, but I'd like my truck to be very capabile and realiable in the backcountry.

Basic goal is 3" lift, 285/75R/16's, and increased load capacity (stock leafs are a joke). I'm not intersted in spacer lifts, I want to do it right.

I'm considering two very differrent suspention kit options. Rough ideas below.

First option: Fox & All-Pro

Front coilovers (pair) Fox - Factory Series Coil-over Reservoir, 3"880-02-418-10
    rear shocks (each) Fox - lift-Factory series 982-02-366-A
    UCA (pair) All-Pro - 1.25" Uniball Chromoly Upper A-Arms3500T-AP-AARM-1.25PR
    rear leaf springs (pair) All-Pro - Standard Duty Rear Leaf Springs - 3" lift (includes U-bolt flip)4505T-AP-3-PR
    rear brake line extention (each)All-Pro Tacoma lines, 24"5500T-AP-R-05

Second option: OME

Something like the OME 3" lift, Part#: ARB1063, descibed on Slee's website, here.

Questions:

Given my payload needs should I be considering the All-Pro Exp leafs or is the standard All-pro leaf kit enough?

Would the EXP leaf kit be uber stiff and unrealistic when the bed is empty?

Given that the OME kit is roughly 1/3 the cost, am I crazy to consider the high end FOX and All-Pro components?

Does anyone know if the leaf springs in the OME kit will increase my payload capacity? I've got an email out to Slee asking questions about the leaf springs in the OEM kit but I have not heard back yet. Slee is the closets well known off-road shop so I figured I'd ask them.

Thanks for your comments. I apprecaite the advice.

Cheers.

Salt

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Go with OME and Dakars in the rear, you'll be happy. I don't think the Dakars are as stiff as the All Pro Expos, and the ride suffers severely without weight in the bed. I try to keep at least 200 Lbs in at all times so the ride is decent.

3. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    miacevedo

miacevedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    SuperWhite 4X4
    All Pro Hybrid front bumper. All Pro rock sliders. Warn Winch. Icon 2.5 Remote Resi Coilovers & Rear Icon 2.0 Extended Remote Resi's. AP Standard leafs. Rear SuperBumps. OEM bed mat and All Weather floor mats. Pelfreybilt IFS Skid. Method NV wheels on 285/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT2.
    The AP Expeditions should be perfect for what you want to use the truck for. I don't know too much about the OME Dakars, but I believe they will increase your load capacity too.

4. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
  5. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Hooked a 4k lb boat on the dakars and no sag at all.. they are stiff. I think the all pro expos are stiffer than these. Just do a bit of research to find what you like, tons of info on this forum.

6. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    Salt

Salt [OP] ...

Member:
    Lyons, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12' DCORSB TRD
    SnugTop XV with yakima rack. Factory Cab roof rack. Full bedrug. Debadged. Full OME suspention kit, 866's & Dakars. SPC UCA's. Slee Sliders. ARB front bumper w/ M8000 Warn winch. FJ TRD Wheels. Cooper ST Maxx, 255/85r16
    Thanks guys.

So as far as "stiffness" is below accurate?

All-Pro standard leafs (stiff)
    Dakars leafs (++ stiff)
    All-Pro EXP leafs (+++ stiff)

Cheers,

Salt

7. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  8. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    FWIW OP , I have a DCLB , a LEER commercial cap and about 200 lbs of tools on at all times and I'm very happy with my Dakars

9. Mar 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    skunk

skunk what did I miss?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudi
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 (STOLEN)
    YOU WILL BE MISSED Satoshi Grill, FX-R retros, husky liners, bed bolt d-rings, TRD short throw shifter, 2.5 Fox Coil overs, AP UCA's, AP Expo rear leaf with Fox 2.0 shocks, Extended SS brake lines, AP kick-out sliders, 265/75/16 on Konig Countersteers, AllPro Apex front bumper and Zip Ties.
    I looked at both of these options. I don't haul or tow much but I went with the All Pro Expos to make sure I have the extra load capacity. The ride is stiffer in the back but a little weight makes a noticeable improvement. Its a DD truck and it doesn't bother me, I even have the sway bar removed.. I like the All Pro option for the UCA's too, they help to insure good alignment.

10. Jan 30, 2016 at 12:09 PM
    BohlaaH

BohlaaH Loading...

Member:
    First Name:
    ALEX
    Thunder Bay, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCLB
    Rigid Industries Grille and 20' fitted LED bar 6" BDS Lift w/ FOX 2.5 (front) FOX 2.0 (rear) 35x12.5 TOYO M/T Open Country Tires Fuel Assault 18" Wheels OPT 7 LED 9003 Headlight Cut Cab Mount & Pinch Weld Trimmed Fender Flares 4.88 Yukon Gears ARB air locker Front & Rear Dent in Driver door... Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mounts Rigid Industries Dually "Amber" spot lights Adventure Offroad Fabrication Overhead Console OTTRAW Switch Mod
    thread resurrection! I wanna make a MT rear setup to ditch the DB. Thinking Allpro standard or EXPO, which is better for my DD? I love to flex and don't usually offroad with too much weight but occasionally haul a trailer with a boat, ATV, etc. Think the Standard pack will do?

11. Feb 1, 2016 at 8:42 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc

Products Discussed in

To Top