Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME 885 and 5100

Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Blouder is on a distinguished road
Blouder's Tacoma Gallery
OME 885 and 5100

Just ordered. Hope its better than the crappy spacer kit I have now.
Bumpers are next!

Maybe I need a rack first
Attached Thumbnails
OME 885 and 5100-img_0192.jpg  
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Willcory is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
Willcory's Tacoma Gallery
whats so bad about the spacer lift you have??? Is it giving u problems?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
TheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TheKid's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Where did you order yours from?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Blouder's Tacoma Gallery
Spacer lift creates a terrible ride. Bone jarring in my opinion. I'll be pretty disappointed if the ride doesn't improve. I bought it from Toytec.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
TheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TheKid's Tacoma Gallery
Are you going to replace youf UCA's as well? What kind of bumper are you looking at?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
Never had spacers but Ive had my 5100s/885s for about 1200 miles and loving it and got me a rack for my kayak.

Bought a rack from Tmotorsports for 84 shipped. Had the inside lip welded up for about 50 at a local shop (no access to a welder or the metal). All in all about $150 in the whole set up after the T nuts ordered from grizzly, bolts and washers.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Blouder's Tacoma Gallery
I wasn't going to do the UCA's yet, I'm going to see if I like this setup or if I'm gonna 6". I'm looking at the ARB winch bumper. I know its cookie cutter and boring but it does the job.

GA- Nice Rack
Old 03-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks it does the job for a heap less than the big names want
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
tacomaoffroad is on a distinguished road
tacomaoffroad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blouder View Post
Spacer lift creates a terrible ride. Bone jarring in my opinion. I'll be pretty disappointed if the ride doesn't improve. I bought it from Toytec.
Let me know when you get this installed and how it rides. I have ome885 with stock shocks and its nothing to be proud of. I can feel every ripple in the road. Was thinking about getting the 5100s and pairing them with the 885s to see if it would help.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabassman View Post
Never had spacers but Ive had my 5100s/885s for about 1200 miles and loving it and got me a rack for my kayak.
What lift do you have for the rear?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
Drive it like a 4WD

Toytec 2 in AAL. Wishing I would have went with a new leaf pack. These seem to be sagging a tad but nothing too noticeable.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Blouder's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so after about a week of driving this setup is starting to settle in. I went with the 5100's set at .85 lift, or the second setting from the bottom. When I bought the truck the dealership had a shop replace the front struts because they were leaking. The shop installed a set of KYB's. When I disassembled the KYB's and spacer combo I was shocked that the KYB had a much longer stroke than the 5100's. I called Toytec to inquire and they were no help. Actually they told me the 5100's dont work well with OME springs and that I shouldn't be running them. This is of course after their sales guys told me its a great combo to run. There's more to that story another time. Back to the topic, I was really concerned that the 5100's would top out over bumps. And they do. I've run about 700 miles since I put them on and its not as bad, but I'm also not driving it in offroad conditions right now either, this is just on the crappy streets here in Sacramento. I have plans to install a plate bumper and winch soon so I expect that will help things settle in a bit more. For what its worth, my ride height is exactly the same with this setup as the spacers that were installed.
Two things I would do different after going through this,
1. Only rely on Toytec "Technical Support" for very limited information.
2. I would have researched a strut that has more up travel.

If I had a bunch of time on my hands I would disassemble this package and try the OME springs with the KYB's the dealer had installed. I have a feeling that would produce a pretty good ride.

Word of warning, if you are doing this job on your own use and VERY professional grade spring compressor. I have installed many different types of springs and compressing those 885's into the 5100's had my butt puckered, and I was using a damn nice spring compressor.

If someone wants my old spacers they're yours for the cost of shipping. A 6er wouldn't hurt but not required
Old 03-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
Quote:
Ok so after about a week of driving this setup is starting to settle in. I went with the 5100's set at .85 lift, or the second setting from the bottom. When I bought the truck the dealership had a shop replace the front struts because they were leaking. The shop installed a set of KYB's. When I disassembled the KYB's and spacer combo I was shocked that the KYB had a much longer stroke than the 5100's. I called Toytec to inquire and they were no help. Actually they told me the 5100's dont work well with OME springs and that I shouldn't be running them. This is of course after their sales guys told me its a great combo to run. There's more to that story another time. Back to the topic, I was really concerned that the 5100's would top out over bumps. And they do. I've run about 700 miles since I put them on and its not as bad, but I'm also not driving it in offroad conditions right now either, this is just on the crappy streets here in Sacramento. I have plans to install a plate bumper and winch soon so I expect that will help things settle in a bit more. For what its worth, my ride height is exactly the same with this setup as the spacers that were installed.
Two things I would do different after going through this,
1. Only rely on Toytec "Technical Support" for very limited information.
2. I would have researched a strut that has more up travel.

If I had a bunch of time on my hands I would disassemble this package and try the OME springs with the KYB's the dealer had installed. I have a feeling that would produce a pretty good ride.

Word of warning, if you are doing this job on your own use and VERY professional grade spring compressor. I have installed many different types of springs and compressing those 885's into the 5100's had my butt puckered, and I was using a damn nice spring compressor.

If someone wants my old spacers they're yours for the cost of shipping. A 6er wouldn't hurt but not required
Not really the answer I was hoping for. I have the stock trd shocks on my ome springs now and they top out if I go too fast over a speed bump. I hope these 5100s have more travel if not ill be sending them back. Thanks for the in depth review.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaoffroad View Post
I have the stock trd shocks on my ome springs
Old 03-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
steezinstangl's Tacoma Gallery
so the KYB's actually had more travel than the 5100's?! thats crazy, id almost rather have those than 5100's so they dont top out anymore haha
Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
Blouder's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been thinking about it, those kybs never toped out. It was just a stiff ride with stock springs and the spacers. I'll get some part numbers off them. Hell they've only got 12k miles on them.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
you might wanna considering setting that spring seat to the lowest level and get the small top plate spacer, this will improve ride for you
Old 03-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
steezinstangl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ive been thinking about it, those kybs never toped out. It was just a stiff ride with stock springs and the spacers. I'll get some part numbers off them. Hell they've only got 12k miles on them.
yeah please get some part numbers!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
OP you have your 5100s set to .85 with OME 885s?