Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Is one shock manufacturer better than the other when it comes to corrosion resistance

Old 03-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Is it June yet
jmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant future

Name: O.I.C.
jmast's Tacoma Gallery
Is one shock manufacturer better than the other when it comes to corrosion resistance

Saw a for sale thread recently that got me really reconsidering dropping $500 on rear reservoir shocks...

I live in NE Ohio and daily drive my truck thru shit Cleveland winters with salt on the roads

Is one manufacturer better than the other when it comes to corrosion resistance?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
TotalBrutal is a jewel in the roughTotalBrutal is a jewel in the roughTotalBrutal is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dan
TotalBrutal's Tacoma Gallery
Ive seen fox shocks rust pretty easily... Very easily actually.

My Bilstein 5100s have been on my truck for about 2 years now. They are definitely not as "shiny" as when I got them but no rust present. They spent 1 winter in shitty NW Ontario weather and have been on the rainy west coast ever since. Hope this helps a little
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My OME shocks have rust after 2 years of coastal salt weather
Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Stormtrooper Corps
Alaskan toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Alaskan toy's Tacoma Gallery
I think Icon's have an option of a special coating...no clue if it works though.

My truck is stock for now.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Is it June yet
jmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant future

Name: O.I.C.
jmast's Tacoma Gallery
example

Old 03-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
My OME shocks have rust after 2 years of coastal salt weather
X2 - I don't live on the coast but my OME shocks did not take long to show signs of rust. My personal observation is that ANY location the paint got even slightly scraped, rust forms immediately.

For the price though, I think I'd buy OME again considering other people's experience with more expensive shocks. They perform well to this day.