Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

questions about doing an sas on my truck

Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
02white taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
02white taco's Tacoma Gallery
questions about doing an sas on my truck

I have a 3in lift now and my front axles just went and my bearings look like there about to go. I do some offroading but not alot i use my truck like a truck and because of that im not sure if its worth doing an sas or just rebuild what i have,which would be cheaper less things keep messing up. what do ya'll think?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
SAS'ing is pretty much good for wanting to run huge tires (like 37" and bigger) with out having to worry about breaking an axle every time you put it in gear. Since you say you don't do much offroading I just don't think a SAS is worth the time and cost to you.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you have $6k+ its not worth it if you dont do major offroading
Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dtmccray's Tacoma Gallery
An sas is a major undertaking and it wont be cheaper than replacing your broken/worn parts. Is it better? Hell yes.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I don't recommend a SAS unless you do serious hardcore wheeling. It's a major undertaking to do it safely and correctly and will cost at least quadruple the money.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing to mention is that in my experience with SAS'd rigs, top speed is dropped down to 45-65mph depending on the vehicle and SAS. It's pretty hard to do a SAS well enough that you can safely drive it at high speeds.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
what would ya'll recommend for my lift iv looked and sow that pro comp has a 3in kit but it just has the drop bracket which would help with the angles on my axle and joints but wouldnt an upper a arm thats extended be better?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't do much wheeling and don't want to drop a small fortune I'd just get a simple spacer over coilover lift that will give 2.5 inches and provide a decent stance and tire size while not affecting the driving characteristics. Your front coils are probably shot too. $80 for a pair.

If you're getting new upper arms... and you should probably consider it due to worn bushings, then you might as well get some decent uniball like Camburg or Total Chaos. You lower arm bushings probably suck too, but at least you can get the new bushings and not the whole arms.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
If you don't do much wheeling and don't want to drop a small fortune I'd just get a simple spacer over coilover lift that will give 2.5 inches and provide a decent stance and tire size while not affecting the driving characteristics. Your front coils are probably shot too. $80 for a pair.

If you're getting new upper arms... and you should probably consider it due to worn bushings, then you might as well get some decent uniball like Camburg or Total Chaos. You lower arm bushings probably suck too, but at least you can get the new bushings and not the whole arms.
Ya I just went form a spacer to the toytech coil and I'm just trying to figure out which would be better to get my Suspension geometry back into line. Thanks for the help
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #10

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
If the toytech coils are screwing with your CV angle there is not much you can do, they are probably more for people with a heavy bumper/winch combo or something. You can try a diff drop for $35-$50, but results vary.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Ok cool thanks for the help ill look into that