Notices

CV axels. Questions regarding lifting.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
"I think I know more than I do."
Bullfrog is on a distinguished road

Name: McLaren
Bullfrog's Tacoma Gallery
CV axels. Questions regarding lifting.

I've done some searching around and found nothing. Does everyone do a diff drop to lower the CV angle? What about long travel or more than 3 inches of lift what do people do about the angle that there CV axels are at? Do people just let them break and replace them or is there something I can do to keep my increased clearance (no diff drop)? Some help would be nice thanks guys
Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
01tacorunner
01tacorunner is on a distinguished road

Name: charlie
01tacorunner's Tacoma Gallery
I have total chaos UCA's with sway-away 2.5 coilovers and have so much droop, or down travel, the angle on my cv's are so great they lock up and don't turn. I put a front diff drop on and has accomplished nothing as far as helping my cv angles, still lock up at full droop. The only thing it has done is make me unable to mount my stock skid plate in the original holes. So I had to get limit straps to limit my travel so at full droop my cv's will continue to turn. Iv also heard that lowering your front diff also greatly increases your odds of hitting the entire front diff when bottoming out, resulting in a lot of money in damages because of a $30 front diff drop kit. My final awnser would be dont bother with it, cv boots are like $20 each and only have to be replaced ever other year
Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I don't run a diff drop, so I can't be sure. But, from what I've heard, the diff drop actually just rotates the diff a bit rather than actually lowering it. So, it wouldn't help with your axle angles. The LT guys can get more than 3" of lift because they're setup is wider, with longer axles. (So, the axle angles are lower, by definition)