1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV axels. Questions regarding lifting.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bullfrog, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Mar 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    Bullfrog

Bullfrog [OP] "I think I know more than I do."

Member:
    First Name:
    McLaren
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 V6 4x Limited Ugly Canadian Green.
    Accessory Box with CB attached. Alpine Type S front and back. LineX. Bedline SKidplates. In progress: Bilstein 5100s with BFG mudterrains 33x10.5 A/C compressor to Onboard Air compressor mod.
    I've done some searching around and found nothing. Does everyone do a diff drop to lower the CV angle? What about long travel or more than 3 inches of lift what do people do about the angle that there CV axels are at? Do people just let them break and replace them or is there something I can do to keep my increased clearance (no diff drop)? Some help would be nice thanks guys

2. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    01tacorunner

01tacorunner Active Member

Member:
    I have total chaos UCA's with sway-away 2.5 coilovers and have so much droop, or down travel, the angle on my cv's are so great they lock up and don't turn. I put a front diff drop on and has accomplished nothing as far as helping my cv angles, still lock up at full droop. The only thing it has done is make me unable to mount my stock skid plate in the original holes. So I had to get limit straps to limit my travel so at full droop my cv's will continue to turn. Iv also heard that lowering your front diff also greatly increases your odds of hitting the entire front diff when bottoming out, resulting in a lot of money in damages because of a $30 front diff drop kit. My final awnser would be dont bother with it, cv boots are like $20 each and only have to be replaced ever other year

3. Jun 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    I don't run a diff drop, so I can't be sure. But, from what I've heard, the diff drop actually just rotates the diff a bit rather than actually lowering it. So, it wouldn't help with your axle angles. The LT guys can get more than 3" of lift because they're setup is wider, with longer axles. (So, the axle angles are lower, by definition)

Products Discussed in

To Top