Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100 vs. 5125

Old 03-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
ArcticTaco is on a distinguished road
Army:
ArcticTaco's Tacoma Gallery
5100 vs. 5125

I am looking at DSM package front and rear 5100s vs. front 5100 and rear 5125. Truck is stock/TRD 4x4. Shocks are destroyed from 4 years in Fairbanks Alaska, and the bobbling has finally driven me nuts.

I'm thinking of replacing rear leafs eventually and starting down the path of making my truck awesome. So if that's the case, can I use 5100 rear w/ stock so I can upgrade later or do I have to go w/ 5125s for now?

I don't do much off roaring since I've left AK. But I plan on returning in a few years w/ an upgraded truck.

Any advice?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Go full Old Man Emu. It will be a full overhaul of your worn out parts and not a bandaid like the bilstein parts will be.
how are bilstein's a bandaid??
Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
They are the same shock. The 5100/5125/5150(discontinued) were all the same shock.

5125s just come in more various lengths

5150s came in other lengths and had an external hard mounted resi

Also you need to measure. A lot of people have found that 5100s are too long for stock replacements due to how much the stock suspension was sagging out back. Then you'd have to get a shorter 5125.

If you go for a lift you'll have to get longer rear shocks either way.

I'd also recommend going with the nitro charger shocks if your planning on getting a full OME lift kit. The OME coils were made to go with them. Otherwise, if you just need some shocks. Go for the 5100s up front and maybe 5125s out back depending on what size out back you need.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
unless you pair them w/ eibach coils, (which it intself can very easily lead to over lifting the front of these trucks and absolutely destroying you CV boots) they preload the your OEM coils for lift like a spacer lift. I ran a spacer lift and it isnt bad. But as a permanent solution, i would not categorize it as such

how about this, tell me how the bilsteins arent a bandaid
bandaid

bilstein shock

CLEARLY only one of these will fit in the strut tower of a toyota tacoma. So ben, how is it a bandaid?

Check mate
Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #6
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
unless you pair them w/ eibach coils, (which it intself can very easily lead to over lifting the front of these trucks and absolutely destroying you CV boots) they preload the your OEM coils for lift like a spacer lift. I ran a spacer lift and it isnt bad. But as a permanent solution, i would not categorize it as such

how about this, tell me how the bilsteins arent a bandaid
Ben the OP is asking mainly about rear shocks. Pay attention.

5100s out back are not a bandaid. You yourself are victim to poor ply sized shocks. It's all about the bump stop and flex of your rig.

He isn't asking for a quick front lift. Just new shocks. In which case..they do the job great.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
in the right size yes. only reason i have blown ONE of mine is they are used. and used well by the raisen. i still havent seen where bilstein has proven itself for the price. KYB's are in the same category of quality for a lot less $$$
There are literally thousands of people on this site running them. All working just fine.

Again. He is asking for rear shock clarification.

Please post useful relative info next time.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #10
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
There are literally thousands of people on this site running them. All working just fine.

Again. He is asking for rear shock clarification.

Please post useful relative info next time.

Quote:

And mark..that's a 2nd gen..
it was for the sake of the argument monte. jeez

and at first it was a pic of an f 150...but i changed it so i at least had the right company
Old 03-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #12
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
It is relative. would YOU consider bilsteins to be a QUALITY porduct. tell the OP about your rear shocks

and just because thousand of people run them is irrelevant. thousands of people drive Saturns.
Mine are damaged because I kept stock bump stops instead of larger 4-5" ones

I created the problem. Not blistein.

Yes I would. My front ones are doing awesome. They are a bit stiff. But that's just their valving. Are they nice top of the line shocks...no. But they cost a 6th of the price. And do a great job.

So yes. I do think they make nice shocks. In fact ill probably run 7100 rears next.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #13
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It is relative. would YOU consider bilsteins to be a QUALITY porduct. tell the OP about your rear shocks

and just because thousand of people run them is irrelevant. thousands of people drive Saturns.
and thousands of people run OME too
Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #14
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Next time we meet up, ill let you try the OME, and try them hard. i hold out that yes the bilsteins work, bit the OME are a superior product and at not THAT much of an added expense
Already risen in Jon's truck. On full OME with 883s and the trimmer package...It actually rode stiffer then mine..then again..mine is way freaking heavier..
Old 03-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #15
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
I dont think Jon's is a fair comparison w/ the 4 cyl, tube bumper (and no winch.)???? Granted, i would never consider mine as soft. It is quick and responsive and the big bumps it irons out amazingly well. got the fron end airborne this am and it soaked it up way better than i expected, i dont think i reached the bimstops
He has a winch. So I'd bet he has still more weight then you up front. The v6 isn't that heavy.

Doesn't sound any different then mine.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #17
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 5125 and I thought they are for a truck that has small lift. They are longer than the stock Billy's. I think I lost about a inch of up travel because they now compress all the way before I tuck my tire in fender well, but I bet I gained a couple inchs of down travel. I almost need longer brake lines with the 5125's. they ride great tho. I put 5100 up front and the 5125 in the rear and love them.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #18
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mine is 3800lbs
Old 03-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
They are the same shock. The 5100/5125/5150(discontinued) were all the same shock.

5125s just come in more various lengths

5150s came in other lengths and had an external hard mounted resi

Also you need to measure. A lot of people have found that 5100s are too long for stock replacements due to how much the stock suspension was sagging out back. Then you'd have to get a shorter 5125.

If you go for a lift you'll have to get longer rear shocks either way.

I'd also recommend going with the nitro charger shocks if your planning on getting a full OME lift kit. The OME coils were made to go with them. Otherwise, if you just need some shocks. Go for the 5100s up front and maybe 5125s out back depending on what size out back you need.
^^^ this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
I have the 5125 and I thought they are for a truck that has small lift. They are longer than the stock Billy's. I think I lost about a inch of up travel because they now compress all the way before I tuck my tire in fender well, but I bet I gained a couple inchs of down travel. I almost need longer brake lines with the 5125's. they ride great tho. I put 5100 up front and the 5125 in the rear and love them.

yes 5125s can come in longer sizes. Then also come shorter. All depends on what you actually buy.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #20

Quote:

yes 5125s can come in longer sizes. Then also come shorter. All depends on what you actually buy.
Yea but the DSM has only one 5125 you can pick from when you do the package deal. If you don't have a lift OP I'd go with 5100's all around. Plus you get a lot better warranty with the 5100.