Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

FJ Cruiser with ICON's smoked me on a fireroad..... Why????

Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #21
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldn't removing the swaybar help smooth out the ride also?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Higher end aftermarket > stock
Old 03-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #23
Total Automotive Performance
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
ICON is a huge improvement over stock. A tuned mid-travel setup with ICON shocks will outperform off the shelf long travel setup...
Old 03-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Tuned Valving > Travel Numbers
Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #25
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running Icon 2.5 c/o with reservoir up front and 2.5 shocks with reservoir in the rear and I would definitely recommend them to anyone. I would recommend finding someone in your area that has Icons on their truck or a similar setup that you would like and ask them for a ride. If you're ever down in the Phoenix area and would like to go for a ride or drive my truck feel free to send me a pm.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #26
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Tuned Valving > Travel Numbers
This

You wonder why stockmini trucks will walk all over some 1400 trucks...
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #27
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Wouldn't removing the swaybar help smooth out the ride also?
I kinda think so.....it lets each front wheel work more independent and I think it smoothed mine out, and Ill never put 1 back on.

IFS+swaybar is kinda counterproductive IMHO if u want the most articulation offroad.

Removing it lets the wheels droop independently.....some places where u would drop in the passenger side with a swaybar, the frame would groan and creak and tip/lift the driver side some.

Without the swaybar, the passenger side would droop in, and I noticed much less creaking and groan from the frame, and much more planted tires.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #28
Foward momentum
tx novice is on a distinguished road

Name: Ron
tx novice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
I kinda think so.....it lets each front wheel work more independent and I think it smoothed mine out, and Ill never put 1 back on.

IFS+swaybar is kinda counterproductive IMHO if u want the most articulation offroad.

Removing it lets the wheels droop independently.....some places where u would drop in the passenger side with a swaybar, the frame would groan and creak and tip/lift the driver side some.

Without the swaybar, the passenger side would droop in, and I noticed much less creaking and groan from the frame, and much more planted tires.
How much more trimming would have to he done on a 3" lift with 285's?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 AM   #29
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
What color FJ? If it was green, I know exactly who that was I live 2 miles from Holy Jim, so needless to say I've driven it 100's of times, with different suspension setups.

Stock SR5 Tokico shocks - 10-15mph TOPS otherwise you'll rattles your brains loose.

Bilstein 5100's and TRD OR springs - 20-25mph but you'll still feel all the washboard.

Icon ext. travel remote resi coilovers with uniball UCA's, Icon 2.0 rear resi shocks, no sway bar - 45-60mph at 25psi and it's like a damn Cadillac.

I was stupid one day when the road was pretty empty for a quarter mile stretch, potholes, washboard, ruts...I hit 60mph and didn't feel a THING. Gotta love digressive shocks.

I DO NOT CONDONE DOING THIS...that is a very popular road for hikers and mountain bikers...I was stupid and wont ever do it again. But for the sake of the OP knowing, yes coilovers make a huge difference over stock suspension.

Sped up video of me on the trail at safe speeds. Playback is at 1.75x speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAtWwcmfsLE
Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #30
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx novice View Post
How much more trimming would have to he done on a 3" lift with 285's?
Lots of variables there, and even more threads on the subject. Comes down to components, wheel back spacing and offset, tires and a few other things. My goal this summer is to see if I can run 35's without taking my flares off. We shall see
Old 03-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #31
Cloudy-fabricator of things
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Johnathan
Whitecloud's Tacoma Gallery
I will always use ICON. I was sold the 1st drive with them. I run the ext travel remote resi's up front, 285 Treadwrights on painted FJ Cruiser wheels and 1.5" Spidertrax spacers. The ride is incredible. They are actually gettig sent off this week for a rebuild and possibly new springs.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #32
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecloud View Post
I will always use ICON. I was sold the 1st drive with them. I run the ext travel remote resi's up front, 285 Treadwrights on painted FJ Cruiser wheels and 1.5" Spidertrax spacers. The ride is incredible. They are actually gettig sent off this week for a rebuild and possibly new springs.

Just out of curiosity, how often do you have to rebuild/recharge them? Of course it would depend on how much abuse you're putting them through, but on average....?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #34
onepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
onepremiere's Tacoma Gallery
I need to revisit holy jim's hahaha. OC's proving grounds.

And that is no fire road, that a bed-rock nightmare... Depending on how your shocks are tuned, you are basically "skipping" over the rocks at speed, and when the ass steps out, hold on! I am pretty sure I get better traction in the snow than that place.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #35
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepremiere View Post
I need to revisit holy jim's hahaha. OC's proving grounds.

And that is no fire road, that a bed-rock nightmare... Depending on how your shocks are tuned, you are basically "skipping" over the rocks at speed, and when the ass steps out, hold on! I am pretty sure I get better traction in the snow than that place.
If you haven't been in at least a year, it's completely graded with gravel and all the side trails have been blocked off. It is nothing more than a fire road, and no more big water crossings. The back half is untouched, but the front half is now very drivable at high speed.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
I talked to Icon about it, they said only when they begin to leak. Good enough for me.

Yep. Totally depends on use. Mall crawlers may not need to rebuild their shocks for a long time where as if you drive like ricky bobby, one desert trip can be enough to warrant a re-charge.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #37
onepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shedonepremiere is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
onepremiere's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
If you haven't been in at least a year, it's completely graded with gravel and all the side trails have been blocked off. It is nothing more than a fire road, and no more big water crossings. The back half is untouched, but the front half is now very drivable at high speed.
Haven't been in a few years. I figured that would happen eventually the road was torn up.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #38
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Why has nobody mentioned the fact that the FJ is a completely different rear suspension set up from the Tacoma? A four link suspension will handle much better than anything with leaf springs...just saying.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #39
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
They are also wider and heavier