Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Question regarding steering wheel position and alignment

Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Question regarding steering wheel position and alignment

I have a 2013 Tacoma. I installed 5100's and my truck still drove perfectly and the steering wheel was centered perfectly when going straight. I put new tires on the following week and figured it best I get an alignment. The tech said it was close to perfect, but they just fine tuned it. Now my steering wheel i would say is "not quite centered" when going straight. It seems to be off by I'd guess 5 degrees or so. If the steering system on a Tacoma was sloppy, I wouldn't notice, but its pretty tight for a truck. If I straighten it out that 5 degees, I go in the next lane.

I believe the alignment at the shop (Express Tire) was like $79.99 and they got me an extra $50 for 3-year warranty on it.

I could go back in and get them to fix it. Part of me thinks it may be a bit OCD of me. Oh well.

The technical question
I am wondering though, is adjusting the position of the steering wheel independent of the alignment itself? Like if they were to fix this, would it be a full front wheel alignment again (not that I care, since I paid for it and they do it for free) or can they simply adjust the steering wheel slightly and not have it effect it? Which makes the job quick and easy for both of us.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

splitbolt's Tacoma Gallery
Close to perfect? Fine tuned it? Charged you $80? WTF?
No; you do not want them fucking with your steering wheel.
Do you have a before and after printout?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Question regarding steering wheel position and alignment-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363744521.678803.jpg

I thought where the steering wheel is centered isn't really anything to do with alignment , but more to do with aesthetics. We all want the steering wheel perfectly centered but at the end of the day if you let it go and you drive straight and all the numbers are good, it just looks dumb having it not perfectly straight when going straight?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Adventure Driver
Questor is on a distinguished road

Questor's Tacoma Gallery
I had the exact same thing going on with my Tacoma.
When I had the dealership redo the alignment after I added an OME suspension, the steering wheel was cocked 10 degrees to the right. So I had them redo it. Second time it was 10 degrees to the left. So I took the tech on a ride, explained what I was seeing, and they adjusted it again. It was still off. By now I was almost appoligetic, and was sorry for being "that guy" but the dealership was awesome and very understanding, and did the adjustment a fourth time and finally got it perfect.
I may be a bit OCD, but my truck is MY truck, and it should be perfect.
Again, the dealership was very nice and understanding, and have earned my business for a long time to come.

So, keep adjusting till you are satisfied.
Q~