Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

changing gears?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
nmb_cole is on a distinguished road
nmb_cole's Tacoma Gallery
changing gears?

Do I need t change out my gears while I am lifting my truck 6" and putting 35" tires on?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, or you'll get crappy mileage and lose some HP too.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
what do I need to change them too? So many people are telling me different things.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
I would change them after you get your lift done, or at the same time if you can. It's not really that critical, but it'd be better to get it done than not getting it done.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
reid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reid's Tacoma Gallery
There will not be any mechanical problems with running the old gears, you will just go a whole lot slower.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
Thanks guys. I just want to do this right the first time. A lot of people are sayin I'm crazy for doing this but I love how it looks. Some guys took me 4 wheeling a couple weeks ago with them and I really wanted to be able to do every thing they could.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmb_cole View Post
Thanks guys. I just want to do this right the first time. A lot of people are sayin I'm crazy for doing this but I love how it looks. Some guys took me 4 wheeling a couple weeks ago with them and I really wanted to be able to do every thing they could.
then you need to go out and buy yourself a hummer. not one of those crappy ass H2's or H3's but a real honest to God Hummer. My friends dad had when we were in high school and that thing was badass!!! you can show everyone up in one of those.... that is if you can fit the thing down the trail....
Old 08-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Do you have a hummer? I am sorry to say but I drive like the sterotypical girl so the less blind spots the better for me
Old 08-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #9
I have done some crazy drivin in an M998 in iraq though. that was fun.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
Banned
tacomaclay is on a distinguished road
tacomaclay's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck shifting that thats all I got for ya bud
Old 08-29-2007, 06:24 AM   #11
what should I change them to? I've been told 410. Is that good?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #12
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
No i dont have a hummer, cant afford one, nor do i reallly want one, but they do impress me.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #13
throwbacktaco is on a distinguished road
throwbacktaco's Tacoma Gallery
screw a hummer get atleast some 4.56 gears for 35s
Old 10-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #14
toco389 is on a distinguished road
toco389's Tacoma Gallery
keep in mind most tacomas mine being 98 if you have a v6 (5vz-fe) 3rd member are a 8" housing and already have 4.11 as the ratio stock. me workin at a gearshop i realized its not the best idea to re gear if you dont have to. the pinion gets awful small in diameter as you gear lower which equals in big loud bangs when you take your truck out to play. jmo i