Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Replaced Shocks, Sill Rides Rough

Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
LTdangle is on a distinguished road

LTdangle's Tacoma Gallery
Replaced Shocks, Sill Rides Rough

Hey Folks I could use some great advice or direction to see what I can do to fix my truck. I replaced my factory wheels with 20"Enkei's and nitto terra grappler tires. Had an issue with contact inside my front driver side tire well. Vehicle was salvaged so I had the frame straitened out and replaced the shocks with Bilstein 5100's all the way around. Coilovers were replaced from a 4x4 that had only about 10000 miles on them. As I of course gave it a small lift after putting the billy's on there, I had the alignment and balanced tires done repeatedly. I just rotated the tires after a few thousand mile but my problem comes when I hit a little bit bigger potholes. There is some kind of humming sound that occurs during acceleration as well but I'm more concerned about the dramatic bumps in the cabin as I'm driving down regular street roads that have an occasional bump or 2. I also have some kind of squeak coming from that same from driver's side that I assume is from the LCA bushing (a buddy of mine told me silicone bushings can cause squeaking) that I think was replaced when the truck was salvaged, Nonetheless I'll cut the laundry list of crap that I need to get done with my quick silver down to just the suspension problem...Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can put some pics up if y'all think it'll help.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
What size tires are you running and how many plys?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace96 View Post
What size tires are you running and how many plys?
they're 265/50/20 tires, but I'm sorry I don't know what plys are
Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
I really don't know how to answer .... I'm sorry
When this guy says those words, it's pretty much hopeless.

Lol, joking. Rough is a relative term, I would go with 1-10, 1 being a Cadillac and 10 being a tank, where are you at here?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The lower-profile 50-series tires are probably contributing to the rougher ride. Stock aspect ratio is 75.

If your tires were contacting the wheelwell before the lift, they will still contact after the lift when the suspension articulates (as it would when you hit a bump in the road). However, 265/50-20 is only a 30" tire (smaller than stock), so it shouldn't contact unless the wheel's backspacing is really wrong.

Hum under acceleration is likely driveshaft U-joints. Hum at a constant road speed is likely worn wheel bearing.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
I mean, honestly, those 5100's are a little stiff. They eat up bumps pretty well once you get some speed...but potholes and rough road, makes it feel like you're on a rocky trail lol. IE my street lol...hate going down it, as theirs kids always around so I always go super slow and just bounce around the whole time. About to replace my entire suspension anyhoo...hopefully the compression adjusters help
Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
front bearings

If you have never done the bearings and you already have over 80k miles than that's your problem especially after upgrading to bigger tires or rims, common problem with prerunners. Mine went out at 90k miles and they were dry as a bone from the factory. If you like doing your own repairs you're in for a treat with those bearings. There are several diy threads with pictures around here just do a search, or get up with me and i'll try to help you with that since I already replaced mine last year. good luck man.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTdangle View Post
Hey Folks I could use some great advice or direction to see what I can do to fix my truck. I replaced my factory wheels with 20"Enkei's and nitto terra grappler tires. Had an issue with contact inside my front driver side tire well. Vehicle was salvaged so I had the frame straitened out and replaced the shocks with Bilstein 5100's all the way around. Coilovers were replaced from a 4x4 that had only about 10000 miles on them. As I of course gave it a small lift after putting the billy's on there, I had the alignment and balanced tires done repeatedly. I just rotated the tires after a few thousand mile but my problem comes when I hit a little bit bigger potholes. There is some kind of humming sound that occurs during acceleration as well but I'm more concerned about the dramatic bumps in the cabin as I'm driving down regular street roads that have an occasional bump or 2. I also have some kind of squeak coming from that same from driver's side that I assume is from the LCA bushing (a buddy of mine told me silicone bushings can cause squeaking) that I think was replaced when the truck was salvaged, Nonetheless I'll cut the laundry list of crap that I need to get done with my quick silver down to just the suspension problem...Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can put some pics up if y'all think it'll help.
Did you lift it with the bilsteins or use a top spacer? Do you get brake squeal? I'd jack up the front wheels and check the bearings. And the Lo Profile tires sure aren't helping your ride
Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
When this guy says those words, it's pretty much hopeless.

Lol, joking. Rough is a relative term, I would go with 1-10, 1 being a Cadillac and 10 being a tank, where are you at here?
I'm good with streamline roads and highways when there's not much displacement with cracks, potholes,...and other inuwindows lol. Any how rating is a 5 for regular roads and 10 for ghetto roads.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
Did you lift it with the bilsteins or use a top spacer? Do you get brake squeal? I'd jack up the front wheels and check the bearings. And the Lo Profile tires sure aren't helping your ride
I thought that maybe the low pros were possibly the cause but that's not it. I raised the ride height to the 1.75 mark...cuz it's just better to have it lifted when you can (and little effort). The front is about even with the back, no pun intended. No brake squeals and NO spacers. just had the tires aired and rotated and that helped with the shaking and it rides smoother...but not when going across the jagged blacktop.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
If you have never done the bearings and you already have over 80k miles than that's your problem especially after upgrading to bigger tires or rims, common problem with prerunners. Mine went out at 90k miles and they were dry as a bone from the factory. If you like doing your own repairs you're in for a treat with those bearings. There are several diy threads with pictures around here just do a search, or get up with me and i'll try to help you with that since I already replaced mine last year. good luck man.
Thanks, I'll bet that's it because the truck just hit 80K so I'm absolutely sure that it needs that done (among other things)...thread searching it is
Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
The lower-profile 50-series tires are probably contributing to the rougher ride. Stock aspect ratio is 75.

If your tires were contacting the wheelwell before the lift, they will still contact after the lift when the suspension articulates (as it would when you hit a bump in the road). However, 265/50-20 is only a 30" tire (smaller than stock), so it shouldn't contact unless the wheel's backspacing is really wrong.

Hum under acceleration is likely driveshaft U-joints. Hum at a constant road speed is likely worn wheel bearing.
No more contact with the tire and the tire well thank god...just riding durty now...durty/bumpy. It took me one wrong order to figure out the backspacing issue and that was enough of a learning curve to not make that mistake again but now I'm happier with the ones that I've got.

Update: 07/01/2013
now I've ordered 2 lower ball joints, 2 sway bar end links, and 2 wheel bearings (all moog) and definitely will be tied up for a while when I start working on it. I am thinking to go ahead and get all the u-joints replaced in the drive shaft to go ahead have some grease zerks for all these joints anyways. the next thing that I'm probably going to have to get is a new rack and pinion. maybe I won't need a full new rack but I'll definitely need the advice. the trucks makes a pop sound when I take a turn pretty well, and definitely so when couple with a good bump in the road while turning..not really sure at this point if it makes a pop sound during straight road bumps. anyhow, pics are coming up next...hopefully advice after that