Notices

883s or wait for Eibachs on 2nd gen DCSB

Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
Mountainbikekid is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
Mountainbikekid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Dan at Wheeler's confirmed you don't need the overload, but it would hurt anything either and it is good for another 1/2" of lift. I tow and load up the truck, but I'm usually carefully not to overload. I'm sure if I don't leave the overload in I'll probably wish I did 6 months down the road

That's some good tips, thanks. I have jack stands and a floor jack but it sounds like having a bottle jack handy would be a good thing. I'll also check my taps and bits to make sure I have the ones I need before I get started.

Question for both of you...did you use axle shims? My truck is fairly vibe free now so I'm hoping I can got 1.5-2" and get aware without shims or a cb drop. I know each truck responds differently and there is no way to tell until after everything settles.
I did not use any shims on the rear axle or a CB drop.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #22
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
I would wait for the eibach
I run eibachs at .85, the ride is amazing. It is much plusher than my trdOR coils. It is stiff enough to handle large bumps but plush enough to have a great ride. From what I understand the 883 are really designed for nitrocharger shocks and the eibachs are designed for 5100s.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dan at Wheeler's confirmed you don't need the overload, but it would hurt anything either and it is good for another 1/2" of lift. I tow and load up the truck, but I'm usually carefully not to overload. I'm sure if I don't leave the overload in I'll probably wish I did 6 months down the road

Question for both of you...did you use axle shims? My truck is fairly vibe free now so I'm hoping I can got 1.5-2" and get aware without shims or a cb drop. I know each truck responds differently and there is no way to tell until after everything settles.
You can always add the shims and the overload later on. If you think you're going to use shims, make sure you get the centering pin extension collar.

I left the overload in place because the HD version wasn't available yet. I've had the truck loaded down really well and only been sitting on the overload once (I had about 1,000 lbs in the bed plus the shell so I was defintely overloaded). With the HD version, unless you want the extra 1/2" of lift, I'm not sure if you'd realistically need the overload for anything within the normal limits of the truck unless you tow heavy and often.

I am not running shims or the CB drop. I had no vibrations when the lift was installed but have developed them around a year later. I believe my issue is my CB is starting to go out on me so I don't think the CB drop or shims will solve my issues.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
fireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud of
fireroad's Tacoma Gallery
@MountainBikeKid - Don't forget to post pics when you get a chance
Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #25
Quote:
@MountainBikeKid - Don't forget to post pics when you get a chance
Will do. Tires and alignment tomorrow. Then pictures.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
fireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud of
Shouldn't have hesitated to order my Wheeler's HD 3 leaf AAL. They had several in stock last week but sold out by before I called yesterday. They are hoping for more in 2 weeks or less, depending on if Alcan comes through or not. There goes my install next week . More time to sell off crap I don't need to finance this new obsession
Old 04-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbikekid View Post
Will do. Tires and alignment tomorrow. Then pictures.
Anxiously awaiting your pics
Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
Quote:
Anxiously awaiting your pics

Sorry it took me so long. I kept meaning to do it and everytime I thought about it my camera battery was not charged. I really like the ride of the new 883 springs with the Wheelers HD leaf pack. It did give me a lot more rake than I was expecting. But I still like the way it looks and when I load it down to go camping and such it will not sag. I also put new 265/75R16 Bfg allterrains on it as well.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
Quote:
Sorry it took me so long. I kept meaning to do it and everytime I thought about it my camera battery was not charged. I really like the ride of the new 883 springs with the Wheelers HD leaf pack. It did give me a lot more rake than I was expecting. But I still like the way it looks and when I load it down to go camping and such it will not sag. I also put new 265/75R16 Bfg allterrains on it as well.
No worries, the pics were worth the wait! You truck looks fantastic man, good call on the setup . I personally think it has the right amount of rake, and it will probably still settle a hair or two after a month of driving around. If it doesn't I did talk to Wheeler's and they said the OL isn't necessary with their HD AAL...that is, it does not add any weight capacity, it just provides you another 1/2 in of lift. When mine comes in a week or so I will install without the OL and see how it settles out. I have little rake as is (1 in diff) because of my campershell.

How are you liking your BFG ATs? That's my tire of choice as well but I was a little worried that it may be too stiff and/or heavy for a Taco since they only offer it in load range E.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #30
rfsdave is on a distinguished road
Army: 1166 Cbt Het Co. Kuwait/ Iraq
Name: Dave
rfsdave's Tacoma Gallery
MountainBikeKid, your truck looks perfect. I plan to do the same to mine. Thanks for the pics.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #31
Quote:
No worries, the pics were worth the wait! You truck looks fantastic man, good call on the setup . I personally think it has the right amount of rake, and it will probably still settle a hair or two after a month of driving around. If it doesn't I did talk to Wheeler's and they said the OL isn't necessary with their HD AAL...that is, it does not add any weight capacity, it just provides you another 1/2 in of lift. When mine comes in a week or so I will install without the OL and see how it settles out. I have little rake as is (1 in diff) because of my campershell.

How are you liking your BFG ATs? That's my tire of choice as well but I was a little worried that it may be too stiff and/or heavy for a Taco since they only offer it in load range E.
I just wanted to clarify one thing. I have a Wheelers HD leaf pack. It is the complete pack that has five leafs in it. So I don't know how the HD AAL compares to it. It is a nice leaf pack though.

The tires are nice. I was worried about the load range E as well. They are certainly heavier that the stock tires but the truck still rides nice with them. I would recommend them to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsdave View Post
MountainBikeKid, your truck looks perfect. I plan to do the same to mine. Thanks for the pics.
Thank you!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #32
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I installed the 883 coils yesterday and I am very happy with them. I have only driven on them a little because I don't have an allignment yet. Before the install my front height measurment was 20 1/2 inches from the center of the hub to the fender. After the install of the 883 coil my truck now sits at 22 inches on both sides. I do have a 1/4 inch spacer on top of the drivers side coil assembly. The ride is more firm but I like the way it rides. I also installed wheelers HD replacement leaf pack. That raised my rear from 21 1/2 inches to 23 1/2 inches. My truck still had rake to it but I like it that way. No Bro lean here. I would recomend the 883 springs from the little I have driven on them. Time will tell though.
Truck looks awesome!

You got 2" of lift in the back. Did you have OEM 3 leaf pack before? I'm considering Wheelers 5 leaf HD pack, but I do not want to lift the truck. I have TSB pack now, so if thats the case, looks like I should expect about 1" of lift in my case before it settles a bit? I have to measure soon so I can compare your numbers to mine.

I'm also planning to get 4 5100's. Plan is to leave fronts set @ 0 with stock coils, but looks like I may have to consider setting them up to 0.85 to lower the rake a bit if I get another inch of lift at the back with these HD springs...
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #33
Quote:
I just wanted to clarify one thing. I have a Wheelers HD leaf pack. It is the complete pack that has five leafs in it. So I don't know how the HD AAL compares to it. It is a nice leaf pack though.

The tires are nice. I was worried about the load range E as well. They are certainly heavier that the stock tires but the truck still rides nice with them. I would recommend them to you.
Thanks for the clarification, I completely missed that you got a whole new pack. I've been eyeing the Wheeler's HD 5 leaf pack as well, but couldn't justify replacing the whole factory pack with only 11k miles on it...yet! Will be interested to here your long term review of them, I suspect I'll be getting mine in another year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
You got 2" of lift in the back. Did you have OEM 3 leaf pack before? I'm considering Wheelers 5 leaf HD pack, but I do not want to lift the truck. I have TSB pack now, so if thats the case, looks like I should expect about 1" of lift in my case before it settles a bit? I have to measure soon so I can compare your numbers to mine.
I asked Wheeler's the same question as I have the 2/1 (non-tsb) leaf pack. They said on a DCSB expect at least an inch over what your factory non-tsb ones were when new. Mine started out at 22 in (now 21) before I put on a campershell, so I expect around 23 when it's all settled and done.

This thread may help you decide, even though it's for the 3 leaf AAL http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...installed.html
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #34
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, I completely missed that you got a whole new pack. I've been eyeing the Wheeler's HD 5 leaf pack as well, but couldn't justify replacing the whole factory pack with only 11k miles on it...yet! Will be interested to here your long term review of them, I suspect I'll be getting mine in another year or so.

I asked Wheeler's the same question as I have the 2/1 (non-tsb) leaf pack. They said on a DCSB expect at least an inch over what your factory non-tsb ones were when new. Mine started out at 22 in (now 21) before I put on a campershell, so I expect around 25 when it's all settled and done.

This thread may help you decide, even though it's for the 3 leaf AAL http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...installed.html
Thanks for the link.

So if your non TSB were new at 22, would you not expect 23 instead of 25?

So based on that, and based on the fact the a new TSB 4 leaf pack is about 1" higher than new non TSB 3 leaf pack, this Wheelers 5 leaf HD pack would be "direct" replacement (except heavier duty hopefully) for new TSB 4 leaf springs?

Hope I understand it correctly. Pretty much a solid option for someone who wants to replace their old TSB leafs or for someone who is out of warranty and does not qualify for TSB springs.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
Thanks for the link.

So if your non TSB were new at 22, would you not expect 23 instead of 25?

So based on that, and based on the fact the a new TSB 4 leaf pack is about 1" higher than new non TSB 3 leaf pack, this Wheelers 5 leaf HD pack would be "direct" replacement (except heavier duty hopefully) for new TSB 4 leaf springs?

Hope I understand it correctly. Pretty much a solid option for someone who wants to replace their old TSB leafs or for someone who is out of warranty and does not qualify for TSB springs.
Sorry, "Monday math"...I did mean 23 and not 25. Based on discussions with Dan I would consider the Wheeler's 5 leaf HD pack a heavy-duty "direct replacement" for the TSB pack (that may or may not add up to a half inch more then a brand new TSB pack). I agree that it's a solid option for anyone wanting to replace a stock or TSB pack that plans to tow, haul, or has a campershell and wants better stability and load handling characteristics. I will be purchasing one in the future for sure
Old 04-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #36
Looks like my Wheeler's HD progressive AAL is shipping tomorrow so I went ahead and ordered the rest of my lift. 883's and OME shocks for all four corners should be here next week!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #37
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
I installed 883s in January to compensate for extreme rake induced by OME Dakars that replaced the awful shit Toyota calls springs.
I had installed 5100s set at 0 a year earlier.
The OME Dakars raised the rear to over 25" and the vibes and lift were just too much.
I just removed the third leaf from the Dakars and now sit level.
The 883s ride great with 5100s....I don't know why people say they aren't a good combo.
OME should offer the reduced leaf pack as an option.
This is the suspension Toyota should have installed to begin with.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #38
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
I installed 883s in January to compensate for extreme rake induced by OME Dakars that replaced the awful shit Toyota calls springs.
The OME Dakars raised the rear to over 25" and the vibes and lift were just too much.
The 883s ride great with 5100s....I don't know why people say they aren't a good combo.
You sit level with the third leaf removed and 883's up front? What are your measurements and do you have a long box/armour/heavy bumper etc?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
Pics please!

My 883's showed up yesterday and my wheelers HD progressive AAl should be here tonight! Now, if only I didn't have to work the next two weekends
Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #40
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
You sit level with the third leaf removed and 883's up front? What are your measurements and do you have a long box/armour/heavy bumper etc?
I don't have a tape measure with me right now, but will take a couple of pics and upload.
Yes, level with 883's and third leaf removed....DCSB with a shell on back, no other weight adjustments(bumper, winch, grenade decal in the rear window, Glock decal, chrome license plate frame declaring something).