Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Almost ready to pull the trigger on a 3" lift, need some input

Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Almost ready to pull the trigger on a 3" lift, need some input

So due to the mileage on my new to me truck, I figure i should replace the suspension at this point anyways so why not go with a lift.
Mainly DD street truck with some light trail use to get to OHV areas.
I want to keep it cheap but get it done right.

My research has led me to the following setup:
Bilstein 5100's front and rear
OME 885 Coils
1/4' Spacer to fix lean
Dakar Leaf Pack

I believe this should put me at 2.75"-3" of lift fairly levelled out.
Do I need anything else?
UCA at $400 , id prefer to avoid.

Will I need any bushings or anything or will the new shocks come with them?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Ome coils are made for ome shocks so why not just go full ome? And I'd recommend LR UCAs otherwise it may not allign correctly
Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
I understand that they may not align, but id rather wait and see if they can be aligned or not before paying out $400 for something I might not need.

OME shocks are more expensive and harder to find. Also it seems they provide up to an inch less of lift with this setup.
Alot of people are running the 5100's with OME 885's and are very happy with their 2.5-3" of lift.

Will the stock U-bolts work with the Dakar leaf pack?
and does anyone reccomend running angle shims or the carrier bearing drop? or is that for like 6" lifts? :P
Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wheelersoffroad
Old 03-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
I checked them out and they have some good prices, I wonder if they could kick together a kit with what I want at a good price.

I did more reading and people who put the 885 coils on the OME shocks HATE the ride and all agree it is very stiff.
I think Ill be happy with my original plan of the Bilstein 5100's.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Avid Jeep Hater
JPT is on a distinguished road
Name: JP
JPT's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to do something similar. Please add pics when you can
Old 04-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTRD View Post
I checked them out and they have some good prices, I wonder if they could kick together a kit with what I want at a good price.

I did more reading and people who put the 885 coils on the OME shocks HATE the ride and all agree it is very stiff.
I think Ill be happy with my original plan of the Bilstein 5100's.
I completely disagree with that. OME and bilstein have different valving, i believe OME is progressive and will be softer that 5100s which are digressive. Plus toytec says and i qoute

"OME is not made to work with Bilstein and Bilstein is not made to work with OME. Bilstein and OME will not warranty their products if they are used with the other. I have also heard the shock will blow out.

If you have anymore questions or concern please call 303-255-4959.
Thanks!
Julie"

Not all of that is entirely true. On the other hand 5100s are cheaper and have a longer extended length which will help prevent the shock reaching full extension and limiting downtravel.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
They may not warranty them but the products work VERY well together from my research.
Id say at least half the lift threads I read had billy 5100's with 885 coils, none of which experienced any issues at all.

If WheelersOffroad ever used this site I might have ordered a kit by now, but they have ignored my post in their forum area for about a week now.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They may not warranty them but the products work VERY well together from my research.
Id say at least half the lift threads I read had billy 5100's with 885 coils, none of which experienced any issues at all.

If WheelersOffroad ever used this site I might have ordered a kit by now, but they have ignored my post in their forum area for about a week now.
Well they are a company and can't tend to everyone's needs. But to answer some questions with your post, you will be happy with that setup, although I would recommend using OME shocks with Dakars in the rear, you'll over extend a 5100 with dakars, and if you do, that means you will have OME 885s, OME dakars, and OME shocks for the rear with front 5100s. You are arguing that they are hard to come by, wheelers isn't the only vendor that sells OME setups. Toytec and downsouth motorsports both sell full OME setups. I would give one of them a call.

FWIW, I ran 885s with 5100s without issues, but I would not run Dakars with 5100s on the rear.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
PM yotadan, i have before and he got right back to me, also ask him about the valving on 5100s and OME shocks and which will be softer, i would like to hear about the differences from a credible source. My post above is based on what i have read on TW.

Edit: except the part about i disagree that 885s paired with nitros are to stiff, that is my opinion based on my setup. I dont think they ride to stiff at all.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #11

Quote:

Uh.. just call them.. they will answer your question right then.. not every company can be on this forum 24/7