Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New shocks? Truck riding really rough like a tank.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
-Doomsday Squad-"game over man"
RaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud of

RaginCajun's Tacoma Gallery
New shocks? Truck riding really rough like a tank.

Hey fellas, I gotta Toytec suspension 3" lift a while back, and the ride has gotten worse over the past 2 years. I really can't take it anymore. Especially when my wife and mine and her parents have to ride with me. The ride is reallyy stiff. Feels like a tank! Lol I'm on a budget of abt $500 . What would be my best option to get this taco riding smooth again?
I drive a 2wd 2007 double cab long wheelbase tacoma.
Thanks fellas and gals!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
RaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud of

Btw... I'm running 285/70/16 Firestone destination all terrains . Thx !
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles on suspension? Which toytec kit?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #4

20k on the suspension lift . Ima dumba$$ when it comes to mechanics. I'm a carpenter lol. I have the original stock shocks . And they added a leaf spring .. It was the basic Toytec lift. That's all I know. Sorry for limited details. I always hear about 5100 bilstein shocks. Would that help? I just had to lift my truck cause of my job . Sometimes I gotta go through mud, and at the time I couldn't afford the 4x4
Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you need to replace your shocks like he said ^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
Lol. Agree. Does your truck keep "bouncing" when you hit a bump?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
X2
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
veet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the rough

veet skeet's Tacoma Gallery
You gotta replace shocks after only 20k miles on em?

I have over 20k miles on my 5100s. They ride really stiff like a tank too...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #9

All 4 shocks with the bilstein 5100's?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by veet skeet View Post
You gotta replace shocks after only 20k miles on em?

I have over 20k miles on my 5100s. They ride really stiff like a tank too...
What setting are the 5100s at?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #11

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

This is what I had gotten
Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #12

When I take ppl around , they like damn.. This drives like a tank ! Lol
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like springs are to stiff. But usually gets softer with time. U say its getting worse though. So maybe shocks. The reason for them going bad so quickly is that they may have been topping out for quite some time.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #14

That's probably true. When I hit bumps . The back of the trucks really rides rough. So should I just get all brand new bilstein 5100's ? Thanks for everyone's input. I'm a newb when it comes to mechanics :/
But that's why I joined this site years ago for the friendly ppl and great information , I plan on keeping my tacoma for a loooooooong time!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #16

I have no idea lol. I can check .-
Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTekniq View Post
the coil seat isn't upside down is it?
Hes got stock shocks. No sure if coil seats are removable on oem billys.