Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

(Help) "Clunk" While Turning and Shifting

Old 03-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
(Help) "Clunk" While Turning and Shifting

I need some help or advice here guys. As far as I can remember, this clunk started after I installed my 885's up front. There is a pretty loud "clunk" (sounds like metal on metal) when I take tight turns at slow (parking lot) speeds or sometimes when I shift from reverse to drive after backing out of my driveway. I have also had it happen once when I braked fairly hard before a yellow to red light, although it wasn't as pronounced on this instance.

When I took it to the dealership for my 15K service, I asked them to try and diagnosis it. The dudes in the garage said it was "my front diff binding" and they recommended I take it back to the shop where I had my lift installed to fix it because I had a aftermarket lift kit. I only have about a 2.5'' lift up front, and I know the 2nd Gen diff drop really doesn't do anything. Could this clunk really be my front differential binding when turning and shifting from drive to reverse, and reverse to drive at parking lot speeds?

I thought it could be something like my UCA's or my swaybar contacting my springs but I don't think this would happen on flat ground while turning or just shifting from reverse to drive while my front wheels are not turned.

Matt
Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
ttt
Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #3

Firefighter:
ttt
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #4

Firefighter:
ttt
Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
gladiatorj28 is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
gladiatorj28's Tacoma Gallery
I just had the same situation with my truck, ended up being my front driverside LCA was loose. I had installed my lift and gotten a couple of alignments to get everything back to where it needed to be and must have never been torqued properly afterwards. Pulled out a torque wrench and torqued it to 100 ft/lbs and clunk is gone. I also upgraded to ECGS bushing replacement for the drivers side diff needle bearing and vibes and clunks are now all gone. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #6

Firefighter:
That's what I was thinking Anthony. The swaybar is about 1/2" away from the bottom of my coils so I thought it might be that. I don't have any paint chips or anything on the coil or the spring seat but maybe it's just not hitting it hard enough? I thought about taking off the swaybar but I've heard it allows some pretty good body roll on road driving.

Matt
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a sway bar, remove it and see if it goes away. I had this same issue though, I solved it buy torquing the LCA bolts (where the alignment cams are) to 88 ft lbs.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Nah, not if it's not in 4wd. Probably the swaybar do you still have it in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
If you have a sway bar, remove it and see if it goes away. I had this same issue though, I solved it buy torquing the LCA bolts (where the alignment cams are) to 88 ft lbs.
So you guys don't think it could be anything serious like the front diff binding? I didn't know enough about it to know if the front diff affected anything in 2WD. I think I will check the LCA bolts and see if that gets rid of it.

Is it bad to not use a torque wrench on the LCA bolts and just use a socket wrench?

Matt
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
If you need a torque wrench you can borrow mine.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
gladiatorj28 is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
gladiatorj28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Nah, not if it's not in 4wd. Probably the swaybar do you still have it in?
My point was the LCA being loose, diff bearing was just something personally i did to get rid of vibes at the same time i did my LCA's after my lift was installed. As for a socket, borrow a torque wrench and get those things at the appropriate spec (103 ft/lbs), getting the front bolts of the LCA tight can be challenging with a torque wrench, i had to pick up an adapter for the fronts. Mine was off by maybe 20ft/lbs and it made a huge difference when it was back to spec. The noise should go away almost immediately once they are tight if that is your issue. The issue is weight distribution, when turning, or braking hard at lower speeds, your vehicle's weight shifts in a manner that allows for more pressure on those points, resulting in the clunk noise.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Andy2010 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Andy2010's Tacoma Gallery
When I put my 5100's on, I developed a clunk after a while. Usually backing out of driveway, or taking off at a red light. I asked dealer about it when I had my truck there. They said they heard it as well and sprayed front springs with WD-40. Totally fixed it. It started coming back and I sprayed it myself, all gone. Hope this helps for you as well
Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
I have a clunk noise too. I had it before I installed my lift. I'll have to try some of these remedies
Old 04-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a cv joint to me
Old 04-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #14

Firefighter:
With the help of Joniell03, I checked all my LCA bolts. I think two of them were undertorqued, but it didn't solve the problem. I have ordered the swaybar relocation kit to see if that will fix it, since I need the kit anyway. I'll update the thread once I get that on.

Matt
Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #15

Firefighter:
Update: The Toytec swaybar relocation kit seems to have fixed the problem for anyone interested or who is having the same type of problems.

Matt