1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shocking, isn't it?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Nick54, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Mar 31, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    Nick54

Nick54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    So I just installed Dakar Leaf Packs on my 2010 Tacoma DCLB and noticed that when I reinstalled my King shocks that I had to jack the rear end up to ingauge the lower shock mount to the shock. What this tells me is that in an off camber situation my shock will be the axle droop limiter. I guessin that ain't good. What say you? If its not good, how do I prevent it?

2. Mar 31, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    You could get longer shocks. Thats the best option.

3. Mar 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Ok then what would be the limiter?

4. Mar 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Leaf spring.

And your brake lines, if you don't extend them. You may also want to adjust the bracket holding your ABS data lines on the axle and frame. They can become stressed as well if not attended to.

5. Mar 31, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I have seen where some use 2-3 inch web strap on LCA to limit travel, is that a sensible fix for the rear as well?

6. Mar 31, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    You can use a limit strap on anything type. Like said before you can use the spring to limit it. The shackles will only go so far. Straps are a good idea though. I will run them when I setup my rear end.

7. Mar 31, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    When searching for them on the web, what is the correct name of the strap? and how do you go about choosing the right ones?

8. Mar 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    ntilehman

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Just max out you shock length then jack up about an inch and measure for your straps. Search limit straps. I get all my stuff from Kartek in CA. They will ship to you. You will need some mounting tabs top and bottom for them. They are about the best price I have found for the very strong 4 ply straps.

http://www.kartek.com/Product/Fabrication/Straps.html

9. Mar 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks for the replys everyone. Can I use the lower shock bolt as one mounting location? I'm planning a trip to Rausch Creek the end of April and wonder what would happen if I go without the straps installed? Will I damage my shocks?

10. Mar 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    ntilehman

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    SHocks will bottom out and destroy them. If there is enough thread I suppose you use the lower mounts for the straps. Welding a couple tabs isn't a big deal though.

11. Mar 31, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I'd go for longer shocks so they don't bottom, then just let the leaf spring limit droop.

I'd only really bother with limit straps on a true long travel suspension.

12. Apr 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Well, I recently spent over 2k on the Kings I have and really not looking to change them out already so I guess the next best thing is to use straps to limit the droop. That being said, it would be helpful if you guys that use them could chime in and give me some pointers on installation - pics would be a big plus. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  13. Apr 2, 2013 at 4:37 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Not really that hard. You'll need to measure the droop travel you're willing to allow, purchase the closest length strap, then have mounts welded to the frame and axle to limit axle movement at that length.

Differences between limit strap length and desired droop travel can be compensated for but raising or lowering one or both mount locations.

Stick 'em wherever they won't interfere with the rest of the suspension or brake lines...just remember to measure where you mount! Travel changes as you move along a radius arm like a beam axle.

Products Discussed in

To Top