Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Shocking, isn't it?

Old 03-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
Shocking, isn't it?

So I just installed Dakar Leaf Packs on my 2010 Tacoma DCLB and noticed that when I reinstalled my King shocks that I had to jack the rear end up to ingauge the lower shock mount to the shock. What this tells me is that in an off camber situation my shock will be the axle droop limiter. I guessin that ain't good. What say you? If its not good, how do I prevent it?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
You could get longer shocks. Thats the best option.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick54 View Post
Ok then what would be the limiter?
Leaf spring.

And your brake lines, if you don't extend them. You may also want to adjust the bracket holding your ABS data lines on the axle and frame. They can become stressed as well if not attended to.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
You can use a limit strap on anything type. Like said before you can use the spring to limit it. The shackles will only go so far. Straps are a good idea though. I will run them when I setup my rear end.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
You can use a limit strap on anything type. Like said before you can use the spring to limit it. The shackles will only go so far. Straps are a good idea though. I will run them when I setup my rear end.
When searching for them on the web, what is the correct name of the strap? and how do you go about choosing the right ones?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Just max out you shock length then jack up about an inch and measure for your straps. Search limit straps. I get all my stuff from Kartek in CA. They will ship to you. You will need some mounting tabs top and bottom for them. They are about the best price I have found for the very strong 4 ply straps.

http://www.kartek.com/Product/Fabrication/Straps.html
Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
SHocks will bottom out and destroy them. If there is enough thread I suppose you use the lower mounts for the straps. Welding a couple tabs isn't a big deal though.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'd go for longer shocks so they don't bottom, then just let the leaf spring limit droop.

I'd only really bother with limit straps on a true long travel suspension.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #12

Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I'd go for longer shocks so they don't bottom, then just let the leaf spring limit droop.

I'd only really bother with limit straps on a true long travel suspension.
Well, I recently spent over 2k on the Kings I have and really not looking to change them out already so I guess the next best thing is to use straps to limit the droop. That being said, it would be helpful if you guys that use them could chime in and give me some pointers on installation - pics would be a big plus. Thanks
Old 04-02-2013, 04:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick54 View Post
Well, I recently spent over 2k on the Kings I have and really not looking to change them out already so I guess the next best thing is to use straps to limit the droop. That being said, it would be helpful if you guys that use them could chime in and give me some pointers on installation - pics would be a big plus. Thanks
Not really that hard. You'll need to measure the droop travel you're willing to allow, purchase the closest length strap, then have mounts welded to the frame and axle to limit axle movement at that length.

Differences between limit strap length and desired droop travel can be compensated for but raising or lowering one or both mount locations.

Stick 'em wherever they won't interfere with the rest of the suspension or brake lines...just remember to measure where you mount! Travel changes as you move along a radius arm like a beam axle.