Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lubing UCA's?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Lubing UCA's?

Hi guys, Im gettting some TC UCA's soon and was doing some research and found that alot of people have been having squeeking from them. I was wondering what type of lube is good for the zerks and ball joint? thanks!
Old 02-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I put mine on last week, used finish line teflon grease (found it at a bicycle store) and loaded it into a grease gun. no squeaks yet
Old 02-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I havent heard of any TC UCA's makeing noise. If they are propperly greased upon install, they should be quiet. When installing them, rub grease all over the bushings, and bushing sleeves, then, after install, grease them with a quality grease. Dont over grease, as you can cause the bushings to bulg. If this happens, remove the grease zerks, and allow the extra grease to run out. If the Uniball is makeing noise, use Tri-Flow, are some other quality dry Tefflon lube.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
^^
What he said. I actually overfilled mine when I installed them. It's a PITA to get the extra grease out, but ya gotta do it
Old 02-15-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
^^
What he said. I actually overfilled mine when I installed them. It's a PITA to get the extra grease out, but ya gotta do it
What do you mean, its a pita!? Remove the zerks, and let it run out. Depending on how much you put in, you might have to loosen the UCA bolt.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
What do you mean, its a pita!? Remove the zerks, and let it run out. Depending on how much you put in, you might have to loosen the UCA bolt.
The angles are weird... and getting the zerk back in is a bitch... I had to loosen the long UCA bolt and the ball joint and work the UCA up and down until enough grease squeezed out...
Old 02-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #7

Ah. Ok, Im gonna give you a PITA approval.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
Mayor of TW

lol... thanks... next time I'll know better not to go crazy with the grease...
Old 02-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #9

Quote:
lol... thanks... next time I'll know better not to go crazy with the grease...
When just installed, I only give 2 or 3 pumps from the grease gun. Then wait a week, and grease them until I haer the "pops" of the grease.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:55 AM   #10
Mayor of TW

Quote:
When just installed, I only give 2 or 3 pumps from the grease gun. Then wait a week, and grease them until I haer the "pops" of the grease.
That's good advice... where were you when I installed the things...
Old 02-15-2009, 06:56 AM   #11

Quote:
That's good advice... where were you when I installed the things...
I....ummm.......um....I........mmm.....Hey, Look over there!
Old 02-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #12
IB Slingin has a spectacular aura aboutIB Slingin has a spectacular aura aboutIB Slingin has a spectacular aura about
IB Slingin's Tacoma Gallery
Cant you just take a small nail to the zerk fitting and "bleed" the excess grease without having to remove them?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #13
Mayor of TW

Quote:
I....ummm.......um....I........mmm.....Hey, Look over there!
lol... no worries... I was only a member of that "other" website at the time...
Old 02-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Slingin View Post
Cant you just take a small nail to the zerk fitting and "bleed" the excess grease without having to remove them?
you can, but its faster just to remove the zerk. Trying to push that little ball check down IS a pita.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies guys! I probably wouldn't have greased them at all if I didnt ask about it... I'll make sure to lube them up...... but not too much! Gotta love the Lube!!! ummmm.... yeah!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
So I should pump in grease until I hear a popping sound? And will any grease work?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
So I should pump in grease until I hear a popping sound? And will any grease work?
I prefer Mobil 1 grease in the UCA's. Yes, pump them until you hear them pop. HOWEVER, Dont pump too much into them, as the bushings will bulge out, then you will have to take the zerks off, or even loosen the UCA bolt, and bleed the exess out.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #18
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I prefer Mobil 1 grease in the UCA's. Yes, pump them until you hear them pop. HOWEVER, Dont pump too much into them, as the bushings will bulge out, then you will have to take the zerks off, or even loosen the UCA bolt, and bleed the exess out.
I hope I hear the pop before I see the bulge!!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #19
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
And chris4x4, what kind of oil do you use in your rear differential?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
I hope I hear the pop before I see the bulge!!
And here is the tricky part. You wont see the bulge right away...maybe not until you drive on it a few days. Have you installed them yet?

Products Discussed in this Thread