Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

My Suspension Questions (5100's and the rest OEM)...

Old 04-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
OmegaQuest is on a distinguished road

Army: 1st Battalion 3rd US Infantry (TOG)
OmegaQuest's Tacoma Gallery
My Suspension Questions (5100's and the rest OEM)...

I have read quite a few of these suspension posts and I see everyone saying that in order to fit an 18" rim on their truck that you need to cut stuff and everything else.

Well my new truck (2013 Limited Double Cab) came with 18" rims stock with 265/60/18 tires and there is no rubbing what’s so ever, am I missing something here?

Here are the specs of my truck to help answer the questions below:
  • 2013 Limited 4x4 Double Cab with Tow Package
  • Stock Rim/Tire Size: 265/60/18
  • Current Height (from center of hub to bottom of fender):
    • Front Left (Driver Side): 20 1/2"
    • Front Right (Passenger Side): 20 1/2"
    • Rear Left: 22 1/4"
    • Rear Right: 22 1/4"
  • Less than 1,000 miles on the truck thus far
  • It came with 4 leafs already in the back
  • I don’t plan on going off roading, but I want to be able to if I need to get out of dodge incase the zombie apocalypse happens or the occasional off road camping trip... LOL
  • I carry a sportbike in the back of my truck to the race tracks which can be 500 miles away
  • I want the smoothest ride I can get on the highway, speed bumps.... without spending tons of money
  • I plan on doing all the installation myself
Anywho, I just ordered a set of 5100's for all 4 corners but I have a few questions.
  1. Will I or will I not need a 1/4" top plate spacer for the (Driver side only)?
  2. If I keep everything else stock (springs and stuff), will my current wheels not fit on the truck without cutting (this part is confusing me because of all the other posts about people having to cut their fenders and stuff...)
  3. What setting should I set the front 5100's so I can level the truck out (.85, 1.75)?
  4. If I am only leveling the truck, would it make for a smoother ride if I got some LR UCA or just keep stock?
  5. Would adding aftermarket springs help the truck ride smoother while still having the capability to go off road and if so, which springs?
  6. Would adding a Icon progressive AAL with my 4 leaf make for a smoother ride on the highway and offroad?
  7. Will I need wheel spacers with my stock tires?
  8. Should I add some FireStone Ride-Rite 2407 to my current setup of 5100's and 4 leaf pack?
  9. Am I overlooking anything else?
Attached Thumbnails
My Suspension Questions (5100's and the rest OEM)...-dsc_6420.jpg   My Suspension Questions (5100's and the rest OEM)...-dsc_6422.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
I can possibly help with at least one question.
  1. Will I or will I not need a 1/4" top plate spacer for the (Driver side only)?
If you use your stock coils,and just put the 5100's on the front( at the same setting on both sides), the springs already have a built in compensation for the lean. They are side specific. If you change to an aftermarket coil is when you run into issues with the 1/4 top plate spacer being needed.

As far as figuring what to set them at, you can measure the distance from the center of your hub,to the bottom of the fender flare,to determine the difference from front to back. I would say the 1.75 setting may be the correct one, and am sure others will speak up and let you know for sure.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
2013BlueTRD is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Jose
2013BlueTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the 5100s set at 1.75 with stock coil and have no issues with 265/70/17 tires. the rear is still all stock but put 5160s shocks. Did all of this at 400 miles on it. So the 5100s are great set at 1.75 and level the truck out perfect. The truck should be sold that way..
Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlueTRD View Post
The truck should be sold that way..
What happens when you put weight in the back and use it like a truck?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
2013BlueTRD is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Jose
2013BlueTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Then I would say add a leaf to make up for that wieght.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
What happens when you put weight in the back and use it like a truck?
I went through that process,starting with a Toytec AAL,a light duty set of replacement leafs, and finally doing it right ( for my application anyway ) by going to All Pro Expo's. It all depends on what you use your truck for on a regular basis to what extreme you need to go. With the Expo's, I believe they would be overkill for most people,especially with an unloaded truck,but they are perfect for me. With 600-800 pounds in the back, I still get plenty of lift out of them.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkman View Post
I went through that process,starting with a Toytec AAL,a light duty set of replacement leafs, and finally doing it right ( for my application anyway ) by going to All Pro Expo's. It all depends on what you use your truck for on a regular basis to what extreme you need to go. With the Expo's, I believe they would be overkill for most people,especially with an unloaded truck,but they are perfect for me. With 600-800 pounds in the back, I still get plenty of lift out of them.
I was just giving 2013BlueTRD a hard time for wanting Toyota to sell the truck level front to back, when most people buy a truck to haul stuff in the back.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
For the most part the rim size isnt what is making peoples tires rub its the tires themselves and most people on here that run lifts have 33" tires which are 285's metric and most people have minor rubbing issues with that size but minor trimming will get rid of the rub.

If you have the overload leaf in the rear I would set the 5100's at 1.75" and that should level out the truck. Yes you can always add aftermarket springs and leafs but it just depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #11

Here are the current heights:

Current Height (from center of hub to bottom of fender):
So because I from time to time carry my 500 lbs motorcycle in the back of the bed, I should "Not" level the truck?

Is there some sort of configuration that will level and keep the truck level even when the bike is in the back?

I dont mind spending under $1,000 for the suspention (including the $300 I already spent on the 5100's for all the corners) so thats $700 more "If" I have to. I just dont want to waste money on something that I would not benifit from or wouldnt benifit enough to be worth the cost....
Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaQuest View Post
Here are the current heights:

Current Height (from center of hub to bottom of fender):
So because I from time to time carry my 500 lbs motorcycle in the back of the bed, I should "Not" level the truck?

Is there some sort of configuration that will level and keep the truck level even when the bike is in the back?

I dont mind spending under $1,000 for the suspention (including the $300 I already spent on the 5100's for all the corners) so thats $700 more "If" I have to. I just dont want to waste money on something that I would not benifit from or wouldnt benifit enough to be worth the cost....
The 5100's are good but if I knew you had more money to spend I would have pointed you to a different suspension lift. I added OME 885's with a 2" rear AAL to my 5100's so its 3"s of lift up front and 2" in the back to level it out. I like the way it rides and its been on my truck for a little over 4 years and still going strong!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #13

Should I consider adding some FireStone Ride-Rite 2407 to my 5100's in the back and OEM 4 leaf setup already on my truck for when I do haul my bike?

Or is this just throwing money away for something that I wont need with just the 5100 all around and 4 leaf pack?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
I just finished installing the 5100's all around and the I kept the front 5100's to 0 for now.
Wait so you have no lift?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #18
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Not right now. I was thinking of leveling the truck, but I carry my sportbike in the back of my truck to/from the racetrack and I hear if I level it, when I carry my bike I will be very high in the front and low in the back...

Is this not true?
If you level it then yes you will be a little nose high but I dont think it would be anything extreme. My truck is has a 3" lift and it sits level and I travel with my dirt bike all of the time. I know your sport bike weighs more but you get the idea. Here is a picture of all of us with 3" lifts and bikes in the back. You can see that wee arent sagging in the back much at all.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #20
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Do you have any experiance with Air lift / Ride-Rite?
Sorry I dont. Maybe ask around on other similar threads and I'm sure you can find some answers.