Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Grade my lift

Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I would say that's a decent quality lift. Overall, I would say a B- if you're only comparing it to other stock travel lift kits.

I would add a set of UCA's and opt for a multi-leaf AAL instead of a single AAL. I also agree, if possible I'd keep like parts together (OME coils with OME shocks) but there are no issues with the setup you're looking at. Talk to DSM, they used to sell OME stuff even though they didn't advertise it. They also sell the Icon 3-leaf AAL so you might be able to get everything from one vendor. You might pay a little more for some parts but you'll save in shipping costs.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPT View Post
Thank you. The shocks are basically off of opinion, but the ome's are suggested because 885s are normally paired with them. Correct??
I never drove a truck with the 5100s and 885 coils, but was very happy with the ride I had with OME shocks and 885s.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I would say that's a decent quality lift. Overall, I would say a B- if you're only comparing it to other stock travel lift kits.

I would add a set of UCA's and opt for a multi-leaf AAL instead of a single AAL. I also agree, if possible I'd keep like parts together (OME coils with OME shocks) but there are no issues with the setup you're looking at. Talk to DSM, they used to sell OME stuff even though they didn't advertise it. They also sell the Icon 3-leaf AAL so you might be able to get everything from one vendor. You might pay a little more for some parts but you'll save in shipping costs.
A multi leaf AAL like the Icon or Wheeler's 3 leaf will still sag if your stock leafs are soft, which most are. I rode with the wheeler's 3 leaf for a while and then swapped the 2nd Toyota leaf out for a 70's chevy leaf and now the rear is all perky. Barely sags with a load.

Get your minds out the gutter!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #24
Avid Jeep Hater
JPT is on a distinguished road
Name: JP
JPT's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the help everyone. Im going to price all of these options and maybe order within the next couple of weeks
Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #25
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for all the help everyone. Im going to price all of these options and maybe order within the next couple of weeks
I suggest downsouth motorsports, they have very good customer service and free shipping.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #26
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
You won't have any more issues running 5100s with 885s than you will with 885s and the OME shocks. The only difference is price, and I could not tell a difference in the ride.
CHURCH......what I wanted to hear from someone who ran both. Thanks brotha

OP.....I I have an 08 and I am putting on the same lift you have except for me having the UCA and I will be getting a new leaf pack(when cash allows). I opted for the leaf pack because my stock 2 leaf pack is shot to shit....so a AAL would just suck. Your leafs are new so rock the 2" ALL until you got funds for the pack.

I rate your lift a B+ because your needs are just like mine.....love to offroad but dont do it often.....want a mild lift for looks and tire accomodation. Only thing I would suggest is UCA to correct alignment.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
Avid Jeep Hater
JPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD6Speed View Post
CHURCH......what I wanted to hear from someone who ran both. Thanks brotha

OP.....I I have an 08 and I am putting on the same lift you have except for me having the UCA and I will be getting a new leaf pack(when cash allows). I opted for the leaf pack because my stock 2 leaf pack is shot to shit....so a AAL would just suck. Your leafs are new so rock the 2" ALL until you got funds for the pack.

I rate your lift a B+ because your needs are just like mine.....love to offroad but dont do it often.....want a mild lift for looks and tire accomodation. Only thing I would suggest is UCA to correct alignment.
Thanks dude. Thats what I wanted to hear!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #28
Avid Jeep Hater
JPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I suggest downsouth motorsports, they have very good customer service and free shipping.
Thanks man. Ill probably pm the guy who runs the tw account on here.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #29
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think i looked at your build a few days ago haha. How close are you to sitting level with this setup? Any bro-lean?
Well I added the top plate spacers to get the full 3"s of lift up front and no, no bro lean at all and sits perfectly level.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #30
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay21 View Post
Well I added the top plate spacers to get the full 3"s of lift up front and no, no bro lean at all and sits perfectly level.
What combo of spacers did you go with.....1/4" and 1/2" to correct lean?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #31
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
A multi leaf AAL like the Icon or Wheeler's 3 leaf will still sag if your stock leafs are soft, which most are. I rode with the wheeler's 3 leaf for a while and then swapped the 2nd Toyota leaf out for a 70's chevy leaf and now the rear is all perky. Barely sags with a load.

Get your minds out the gutter!
I agree, any leaf pack and AAL will sag over time but because the OP has such a new leaf pack, the life span for any AAL setup is best case scenerio since the stock leafs haven't had a chance to settle yet. Wheeler's also now makes an HD version of the 3-leaf AAL also. So far, I'm almost 2 years in on an Icon 3-leaf AAL and that's toting tools and a shell full time. It's been a great setup for me and I think it rides better than the single AALs.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #32
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD6Speed View Post
What combo of spacers did you go with.....1/4" and 1/2" to correct lean?
I believe the top plate spacers are 1/2" and I didnt compensate for the Taco lean cause it doesnt bother me.