Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Spacer Lift?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
Spacer Lift?

Why does it seem like everybody hates spacer lifts? Do they do anything other than give you a firmer ride? I'm looking into getting a suspension upgrade since im having a brand new frame put on the truck, so any feedback would be great!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMay1 View Post
Why does it seem like everybody hates spacer lifts? Do they do anything other than give you a firmer ride? I'm looking into getting a suspension upgrade since im having a brand new frame put on the truck, so any feedback would be great!
our trucks have things called "bump stops" on our suspensions that prevent the shock from compressing too much (called "bottoming out")

when the shock is fully compressed, it takes the full weight of the truck/suspension; something it's not meant to do. It's only supposed to dampen the movement of the coils/arms, not to take direct force

adding a spacer makes the bump stops useless, the shock bottoms out before the bump stops stop the movement of the shock. instead of having a longer shock with more articulation, you have a stock length shock that is now effectively too long for how much travel are in the stock arms

in an offroad situation where the suspension is flexing there are many cases of the shock topping out, snapping the neck of the shock clean from the mount.

make sure to do some research before you buy your suspension parts, this topic has been covered many, many times.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
People usually get spacers because of cost and many eventually upgrade to better stuff. I have had a Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift since 2004 and I have put on 125,000 miles... and a whole lotta 4x4. Yeah, I never got around to upgrading

By the way, spacers that go over the coilover don't really change your ride much.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lots of people run them with no problems, and they're the cheapest lift out there

but there's also a lot of people who painted their houses with lead paint and didn't get cancer
Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, you're 16 years old... just get a spacer for now and save some money for chasing ass.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Alright well thanks for that information! So with spacers, if I don't do hardcore flexing often, I should be okay?
100% onroad use you'll be fine
just have to worry about cv angles, like all lifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
I have yet to see this happen on a first gen. The pictures you always see are on the "necked-down" bilstien shock which is only on the second gens. first gens dont have the weak spot that snaps. any spacer under 3" on a first gen is fine. not the best option but they work just fine for most peoples application. i know, i ran them too
true, but ive seen damaged shocks on 1st gens from slamming into itself....

Shouldve taken pics
Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
yes but do you believe that it was due to just the limitations of the stock suspension or weakend from the spacers. i mean, if you pull a james, spacers or stock, or even OME or 5100s wouldnt have survived that lol
it sure as shit didn't help haha

I was on the same trail...was fine
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
Dude, you're 16 years old... just get a spacer for now and save some money for chasing ass.
or just save up and do it right the first time...
I got my lift in at 18

and after this summer my truck will have had 3 completely different suspensions on it because im an impatient fuck haha
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So here is the link for what I'm looking into getting

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

From what I understand is I'll need the brake line extension, and the differential drop, correct? What about UCAs? I don't even know what those do...and it also mentioned that "Top mounts are not included". Will I need those as well?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
or just save up and do it right the first time...
I got my lift in at 18

and after this summer my truck will have had 3 completely different suspensions on it because im an impatient fuck haha
I am VERY impatient as well....
Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #12

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

From what I understand is I'll need the brake line extension, and the differential drop, correct? What about UCAs? I don't even know what those do...and it also mentioned that "Top mounts are not included". Will I need those as well?
You will get a stiffer ride with that setup because you'll have to compress the spring to get the spacers in. I am also not a fan of putting an AAL on an old set of springs. And if you keep those rubber boots on the shocks I'll reach across the internet and bitchslap you.

Consider this.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #13

Quote:

you might want to do some research before you jump in
but yeah, a bajillion people run that here with no problems. if you have questions, you should give em a call.
you probably wont need new uca's (upper control arms) if you don't mind a few vibes.
and skip the diff drop, they don't really do crap
and brake lines arent necessarily needed, but theyre good to have

as far as the top plate you reuse the stock one IIRC..i dont really know the specifics of spacers

Quote:
I am VERY impatient as well....
I forgot to add "three suspensions and nearly $7,000 later..." haha
Old 04-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
You will get a stiffer ride with that setup because you'll have to compress the spring to get the spacers in. I am also not a fan of putting an AAL on an old set of springs. And if you keep those rubber boots on the shocks I'll reach across the internet and bitchslap you.

Consider this.
longer shackles will just wear out the stock pack even faster, without adding any support to the leafs
Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #15

I wanted to do the AAL because I believe that Toyota is putting on new leaf springs with the new frame so I wasn't going to want to just get rid of perfectly new parts like that. With the front raised 3" I won't need a diff drop? I thought that was simethjg that just about everybody gets. And what do the UCAs actually do and why would you need to change them out?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #16

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
longer shackles will just wear out the stock pack even faster, without adding any support to the leafs
This is true, but I tend to think when old used up leafs are replaced, it's nice to already have some sexy shackles.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #17

Quote:
I wanted to do the AAL because I believe that Toyota is putting on new leaf springs with the new frame so I wasn't going to want to just get rid of perfectly new parts like that. With the front raised 3" I won't need a diff drop? I thought that was simethjg that just about everybody gets. And what do the UCAs actually do and why would you need to change them out?
the upper and lower control arms connect the wheel to the suspension.

basically when you lift the truck, you change the geometry of the suspension. this change can cause vibrations due to the truck not being able to get proper alignment
the fix is to change the joint in the arm to accommodate the steeper angles, to get a better alignment (doing so gets you more articulation from the arm too)

but new arms are $400-600. and not everyone gets vibes, so as a budget item, people tend to skip it.

and the diff drop hardly does crap. whatever gains from it are minimal (I'm running one....couldn't tell a difference in CV angle with it on or off)
Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #18

I liked my AAL. wasnt too stiff, was perfectly level when I ran it (got mine from toytec too)

just wheeled it too much and broke it in half lol
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #19

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you're getting new leafs then an AAL is as good an option as any.

No diff drop and no brake line extension.

I would not worry about UCAs unless you need new ones.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #20

Quote:
the upper and lower control arms connect the wheel to the suspension.

basically when you lift the truck, you change the geometry of the suspension. this change can cause vibrations due to the truck not being able to get proper alignment
the fix is to change the joint in the arm to accommodate the steeper angles, to get a better alignment (doing so gets you more articulation from the arm too)

but new arms are $400-600. and not everyone gets vibes, so as a budget item, people tend to skip it.

and the diff drop hardly does crap. whatever gains from it are minimal (I'm running one....couldn't tell a difference in CV angle with it on or off)

So if I don't replace the UCAs, my alignment won't be able to return to the way it is now? That would really hurt tire wear...