Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

BIG Failure, Not sure of cause!

Old 02-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Monty is on a distinguished road
Monty's Tacoma Gallery
BIG Failure, Not sure of cause!

HELP PLEASE!!! I installed a Toytec 3" spacer lift on my '07 after 4k miles. Also added a leaf on each side. I noticed a couple of years back a banging sound when I turned the wheel to either extreme. Never thought much of it. 2 years later I am having a grinding sound in the front end. Dealer changed hub bearing to no avail. Sound shows up when the truck (the suspension is cold). 1,000 miles after the hub bearing the sound is constant. I went under the truck AND>>>>####**** I PULLED ON THE HALF SHAFTS AND BOTH ARE LOOSE ON THE DIFF END. The driver side shaft wiggles and comes out of the diff about a 1/2". Passanger side is less. WHAT'S GOING ON??? My thought is that the steering went to an extreme and didn't hit the stop pad, and in turn pulled on the shaft. BUT WHY did this happen? Only my guess. BTW, the 4WD is difficult to go back into 2WD now. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Monty's Tacoma Gallery
I put the diff drop in. No new upper control arms. Toytec says absolutely nothing about needing to do anything, but the driff drop is recommended only to address the U joint wear.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
PPD934 is on a distinguished road
PPD934's Tacoma Gallery
I have a noise on in my front end also when its cold, it last about 2 blocks and goes away. sounds more like a rubbing noise than a grinding noise. not real extreme by any means. I have the toytec three and a diff drop as well. No other problems with the truck going in and out of 4 wheel drive.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the diff bearings. Have the dealer check them.
Ooops...I forgot........
Old 02-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Monty's Tacoma Gallery
Seems to b the same as mine but mine might be further along. You get to look forward to my more extreme issues. I'm wondering if Toytec screwed up in any way. I spoke to them, they played dumb. Did u do any research?