Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Starting Mid Travel, then progressing to LT

Old 04-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
CliffordBRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Cliff
CliffordBRD's Tacoma Gallery
Starting Mid Travel, then progressing to LT

I've been wanting to get a MT setup and progress to a LT setup, but I want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. It seems like the main kicker between MT and LT a truck is the rear setup. If I were to get the basic MT stuff; extended coilovers, UCAs, rear leafs and coils to start with, what all would be needed to make it overall a LT kit, other than the LT "Kit" people sell with LCAs and such? It seems like a bed cage is required for extended coils in the rear and is it necessary for different leaf springs or could the ones used with a MT setup be used with a LT setup?

I know that the usual mentality is do it right the first time, but when it comes to MT and LT the difference is quite a bit of money, so what items can be bought as a MT setup and be kept with an advancement to a LT setup?

If it matters, I'm working on getting around 3k to spend on a nice MT setup.

As always, appreciate any help and advice.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffordBRD View Post
so what items can be bought as a MT setup and be kept with an advancement to a LT setup?
None, really.

I vote you stash away the $3K and wait till you have all the money for say.. a front LT kit as well as a rear spring under kit.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
The main kicker between the two is wheel travel and lots of loot.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
LT upper and lower arms are longer. Usually longer coilover for the front too.
For rear LT its a larger spring-under-axle leaf pack with longer shocks.
I can't think of any parts that could cross over between LT and MT.
Sorry guy, either start a good MT build or if you're set on LT, start saving.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
CliffordBRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Cliff
CliffordBRD's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good, seems like I just got crossed between them all. We'll see where this goes..
Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
I plan to do this, slowly of course. mid travel to long travel. so far I have TC arms, and king coilovers up front. the sequence I plan to go is:

1. SUA(spring under axle) with bumpstops so I can still use my stock length shocks (<$2k with installation)
2. bedcage + 16" shocks + hydro bumps for more travel in the rear (<$2k with installation)
3. fiberglass all around and front bumper (<$1k with DIY spraycan paint)
4. LT front. ($4kish with 8" coilovers and install)
(prices are approximate)

I think with that sequence, you get more fun out of the setup than you would if you went LT front first. and if you decide to not go forward with it, at a certain point after having done any of those steps, at least you have raised the ceiling in the fun factor. having LT front and stock rear suspension setup is just not perfect way to start, which is what I have learned from reading the forums here.

the general consensus is, the stock rear suspension is the limiting factor, and with a LT rear + a MT front, you can still go faster than stock, but obviously not as fast as full LT.

but if you gots the money, why not do everything all at once?