1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting Mid Travel, then progressing to LT

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by CliffordBRD, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Apr 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    CliffordBRD

CliffordBRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    I've been wanting to get a MT setup and progress to a LT setup, but I want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. It seems like the main kicker between MT and LT a truck is the rear setup. If I were to get the basic MT stuff; extended coilovers, UCAs, rear leafs and coils to start with, what all would be needed to make it overall a LT kit, other than the LT "Kit" people sell with LCAs and such? It seems like a bed cage is required for extended coils in the rear and is it necessary for different leaf springs or could the ones used with a MT setup be used with a LT setup?

I know that the usual mentality is do it right the first time, but when it comes to MT and LT the difference is quite a bit of money, so what items can be bought as a MT setup and be kept with an advancement to a LT setup?

If it matters, I'm working on getting around 3k to spend on a nice MT setup.

As always, appreciate any help and advice.

2. Apr 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    None, really.

I vote you stash away the $3K and wait till you have all the money for say.. a front LT kit as well as a rear spring under kit.

3. Apr 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    mt front kits and lt front kits are completely different

4. Apr 5, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    Conman117

Conman117 AWESOME MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 Brap-coma
    Blue LED dash lights
    LT upper and lower arms are longer. Usually longer coilover for the front too.
    For rear LT its a larger spring-under-axle leaf pack with longer shocks.
    I can't think of any parts that could cross over between LT and MT.
    Sorry guy, either start a good MT build or if you're set on LT, start saving.

5. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    CliffordBRD

CliffordBRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Sounds good, seems like I just got crossed between them all. We'll see where this goes..

6. Apr 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    I plan to do this, slowly of course. mid travel to long travel. so far I have TC arms, and king coilovers up front. the sequence I plan to go is:

1. SUA(spring under axle) with bumpstops so I can still use my stock length shocks (<$2k with installation)
    2. bedcage + 16" shocks + hydro bumps for more travel in the rear (<$2k with installation)
    3. fiberglass all around and front bumper (<$1k with DIY spraycan paint)
    4. LT front. ($4kish with 8" coilovers and install)
    (prices are approximate)

I think with that sequence, you get more fun out of the setup than you would if you went LT front first. and if you decide to not go forward with it, at a certain point after having done any of those steps, at least you have raised the ceiling in the fun factor. having LT front and stock rear suspension setup is just not perfect way to start, which is what I have learned from reading the forums here.

the general consensus is, the stock rear suspension is the limiting factor, and with a LT rear + a MT front, you can still go faster than stock, but obviously not as fast as full LT.

but if you gots the money, why not do everything all at once?

Products Discussed in

To Top