1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mid travel lift question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RyanBelliston, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Apr 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    RyanBelliston

RyanBelliston [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Diamond Bar
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner
    Retrofit OEMs w/ 5000K bulbs HID 4300 Fogs Fog Light Mod LED Gauge Swap (Blue/Green/White needles) -Jerez 10'' Kenwood Subwoofer 1500W Planet Audio Amp Debadged Tinted Windows Mudflap delete AFE ProDry S intake Engage front LT 8inch Kings with 2x2 King bump stops. Strapped at 16 inches Engage 4-Link rear 16inch King coil overs strapped at 22 inches Custom Engage bumpers LED reverse lights LED license plate lights LED dome and map lights Flyzeye-Design (blue/white)
    I am coming from a completely stock truck. I am a college student and it will take me a while to build. and money is a factor. I do mostly street driving with some offroad trails. just want to be able to go faster in mild whoop section and not feeling like im going to die.

for the rear my buddy told me about the fox 2.0 factory series shock with resi, and go with a deavers leaf spring....this setup seems quite expensive. i would like a shock with a remote resi for the rear though. is there something cheaper than the deavers for a leaf spring. I plan on building the front but wont be any time soon. will be buying piece by piece for a long time. just looking for a start.

Should i just get that shock for the rear for a non lifted application or am i better off getting a new leaf pack (all pro or toytec) and buy that shock for a lifted application? also if i get the new leaf pack and shocks the back will sit higher than the front and i dont want that. what size lift leaf pack should i get? 1.5 inch or 3 inch? I am a complete noobie with this. so sorry if i offend anyone!!:D

thanks in advance. :)

2. Apr 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Well if you want to build the back first, AND you want it to be smoother over the whoops you're probably going to run a little stinkbug for a while.

The lift achieves a few purposes, mainly, ground clearance, and suspension travel. The suspension travel is what allows you to soak up those whoops. Larger the lift, with some exceptions (long travel, and drop bracket) the more flex you'll get. I throw long travel in there because they achieve more travel by moving components OUT, instead of UP.

You might consider focusing on the front first, components are more expensive and it may take you longer but if you dont't want the rear higher than the front it's the only way that happens short of a spacer lift, which you don't want at high speeds.

3. Apr 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    RyanBelliston

RyanBelliston [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Diamond Bar
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner
    Retrofit OEMs w/ 5000K bulbs HID 4300 Fogs Fog Light Mod LED Gauge Swap (Blue/Green/White needles) -Jerez 10'' Kenwood Subwoofer 1500W Planet Audio Amp Debadged Tinted Windows Mudflap delete AFE ProDry S intake Engage front LT 8inch Kings with 2x2 King bump stops. Strapped at 16 inches Engage 4-Link rear 16inch King coil overs strapped at 22 inches Custom Engage bumpers LED reverse lights LED license plate lights LED dome and map lights Flyzeye-Design (blue/white)
    so as far as the front goes, what do you recommend after what I told you? I know its such a general question but any help would be greatly appreciated

4. Apr 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    On the cheap? Bilstein 5100's are a decent shock that can be adjsted to give you height, you could do that until you're ready to spend more :notsure:

Theyre about 300 and give you 2.5 inches of lift which would be pretty close to level if you did the rear first.

I'd save up for fox's or icon's up front though.

Products Discussed in

To Top