1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 PreRunner DC Lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TacomaDawg23, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    TacomaDawg23

TacomaDawg23 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    12 DC PreRunner TRD
    Guys, I am pretty new to lift kits in general. I had a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins with the Daystar Leveling kit and Bilstein 5100s. That is my extent. I got rid of it because at 34,000 miles it was in the shop for the 8th time and every time it was something new. I just got sick of it.

Saying all that I traded it in on a 2012 Tacoma DC PreRunner last Spring. I ordered the Rough Country lift kit in January and was all set to install it when I started reading the the bad reviews on any block/spacer kits.

I do not go off road except to the hunting land or some dirt roads. I baby my vehicles, just like my Cummins (why it baffles me all the issues I had), and the lift is purely for looks. Saying that I do not want something that will create major issues or damage going forward. I bought the 8 yr/125 mile extended warranty to make sure I kept everything covered.

I do pull a boat about every other weekend during spring and summer and a trailer with 4-wheeler in fall to hunting land. Each trip is about 125-150 miles round trip so not sure if that makes a difference either.

My question is what is the preference for doing a spindle front lift vs an OME or Bilstein lift? I am looking for 3" and have read the forums and searched for days. A lot love the spindles but they seem to do more offroading. It seems price wise both options seem to be pretty close. Spindles with lines are around $1100. Bilstein/OME with new springs and UCAs are $11-1200. Reading about the grinding and backspacing issues is the one negative I have seen on the splindles. I would prefer to run stock rims and bigger tires. I have the 16" TRD Wheels and would like to just put bigger wheels on them. I like the stock wheel look with bigger tires.

Also, would I need brake lines for a 3" Coilover lift and complete Dakar rear leafe set? Also would I need the shims for my rear axle?

Thanks guys, I already have learned a lot by searching.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. Apr 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    TacomaDawg23

TacomaDawg23 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    12 DC PreRunner TRD
  3. Apr 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    keep reading the forums. sooner or later, you will get a feel for what you want and learn what you need to do.

I have king coilovers with tc ucas, and stock rear leafs. stock brake lines

Products Discussed in

To Top