Notices

Modified Insurance for Lifted Trucks "HELP"

Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
jrmitt808 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: JR
jrmitt808's Tacoma Gallery
Modified Insurance for Lifted Trucks "HELP"

Does anyone have insurance that covers their 6" lift? If so, how much did your premium go up? Tried searching on the internet and only get responses from 2010.

I spoke with my insurance company (GEICO) and I am awaiting approval from them. I still have all my reciepts just in case.

Any suggestions or information will help. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Why are you insuring a lift kit anyway? What's the point?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Why are you insuring a lift kit anyway? What's the point?
i dont think he's talking about a plan to cover the lift. i think he's talking about additional coverage to his auto plan to cover the costs of modifications in general.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
I believe it cost me about $50 a year to add my stereo (approx value $2000 new).
Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
This wouldn't be an issue for you, but for me I had to have it inspected as well..mainly to show that the items were bolted in and therefore considered part of it. If they were just loose, I was told they would not pay for it.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the insurance company. Some only cover bolt ons up to a certain dollar value, some don't cover any and you can't add additional coverage. It's worth taking into consideration when shopping for low rates. All coverages are not equal.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #8
Navy:
Thanks for the responses...I haven't heard back from my insurance company yet.

Brunes...which insurance company are you with? Overall my add ons add up to around $7,000...but I'll take $5,000.

Anyone here with Geico?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #9
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
The issue MIGHT be the increased risk of mishap due to suspension modifications. I once tried to issue a HD sportster with a longer front end found that 30 years ago, NO ONE wanted to write insurance for "choppers".
Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
They only ask what the modifications are when you claim something, you have to provide receipts. Some states also have limitations on coverages I believe. I wouldn't volunteer suspension add-ons, I would just say I want coverage for aftermarket parts installed on the vehicle.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmitt808 View Post

Brunes...which insurance company are you with? Overall my add ons add up to around $7,000...but I'll take $5,000.

Anyone here with Geico?
USAA. I have to read my policy to see how much the coverage is, but I think it's between 3 and 5 K.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
USAA is the best insurance out there if you are military, or family of military.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmitt808 View Post

Anyone here with Geico?
I'm with state farm and they cover this same ammount at no additional cost.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
Navy:
I have USAA banking...might switch if things don't work with geico
Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Navy:
Quick update....GEICO was willing to insure it, cost me and extra $60 on my premium for about $7,000 worth of modifications, which is like $10 more a month, in case you don't want to do the math
Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #16
LOCO 4X4
lemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shedlemons is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Ryan
lemons's Tacoma Gallery
Nation wide for gave me the meat! I drove up in my Tacoma to talk to them about a 4Runner I just bought and they asked me if my truck was lifted, I said yes and then they said that I have been driving around uninsured for the past five years since I hadn't told them it was lifted. Basically If I would have got into a crash and they came out to look at the damages they would have said to bad we won't cover it because it's lifted. Now I'm fighting with them to get coverage. They are acting like I'm the first person to ever modify a truck, They are such D-bags.